1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What was he thinking?!?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Filmproducer, Apr 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Using the example of one singer feuding with another singer well, if that the best example as "common" occurrence it just reinforces my point further. It is not common for rappers (and that is who every one keeps talking about) to target publicly young students. If you fail to see the difference, my guess is you don't want to see it.

Fine so now we all know your a real tough guy, nice for you to decide what how offended someone should be. Of course you wouldn't know what it would be like being racially mocked on national airwaves as a teen. I think if something like this happened to people daughters or grand daughters on this site, there would be a little bit different take on it here. But I always find it interesting when people think they should decide when it is appropriate for others to be offended.

Correct, and companies were pulling millions of dollars worth of ads, their choice.

I find it real odd that you are so upset that people are outraged at young girls being call racial insults, and whores.

First, if you read my post correctly I was talking about a higher standard than the rappers everyone keeps bringing up. But sure why not also "The Daily Show", When they start calling students nappy-headed hos and jigasboos, then they should be fired also, I see no problem with that standard, do you?

Oh, come on, Don Imus is sixty-six years old! He is not a thirteen year old boy. You can't really believe that he is so corrupted and influenced by rap he didn't know any better. But even more relevant he has had a history of these types of things that go back further than rap music using this type of language. No sadly this filth is on Don Imus himself.

I am really surprised that Christians are defending this type of mean spirited prejudice garbage. Why would a Christian want this type of filth on the air? Why wouldn't you be happy someone is fired who says the type of things he does over the radio?

This argument that rappers are bad too, well yes who is disputing that, but why not want it all gone and be happy at least Imus is gone? While oviously not as severe, It would be like if people start to defend rapist because they are not as bad as murderers. That would make as much sense to me. Look if you are a fan of Don Imus and what he does by all means defend him, but if you are not why defend him?

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If only the TV and radio world of today had the decency standards of the 1950's . That's still a worldly standard , but it maintained a higher level civility than many Christians engage in with their viewing and listening habits .

I'm kind of tired of hearing Imus whine about " I'm not gonna whine " . And I'm just reading transcripts . If he doesn't want to whine , he shouldn't .

The phony "men of the cloth" J&S show such gall to lecture anyone about anything .

Imus was vulgar all along in his radio career . He knew he would one day get his comeupance , he has said so . The degree of filth on the airwaves is so rotten maggots would refuse to mix with it .

#62 Rippon, Apr 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2007
  3. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

4. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Whether it is common or not is something that cannot be proven without rooting in the slop. I suspect that it is common but I'm not going to go through the 50+ songs that have nappy headed ho in it so I gave you the one example that I could recall when I used to listen to that music.

We have a one-sided waaah culture. Someone said something offensive to a particular protected group who is not of that group so he needs to be fired. Has anyone been fired for calling someone a fundy, or a redneck? The Crucifixin's episode with Britney Spears on Will & Grace was pretty offensive to me, anyone get fired in that one? There is a myriad of people who crack on Southern folk, anyone ever get fired for that?

Imagine these quotes coming from a black man and then imagine them coming from a white man. How would they be received?

• "School shootings were invented by blacks... and stolen by the white man."
    • "A white boy that makes C's in college can make it to the White House."
    • "Black people dominate sports in the United States. 20% of the population and 90% of the final four."
    • "Right now, my job is that I'm like an ambulance chaser. I've got to look for movies with white guys falling out of them."

If there's anything I'm upset about, it is that once again we have a non-story getting the bulk of the national attention. I don't regularly listen to talk radio anymore but I was driving to an event last night. On the way to the event I flipped to two talk radio programs both of them focused entirely on this story. On the way back I listened to two different programs and they too were focused on this story. Only in America can a story about an entertainment program host who made comments about entertainment sports athletes, could trump the real news that's going on in the world. No one died in this story, no one was assaulted. A couple women got their feelings hurt and the person who hurt their feelings apologized. Should be the end of the story, but of course, it's not.
    I mentioned the Daily Show as you indicated that the difference with Imus is that he's political. If the standard is applied equally then alright. The use of "nappy-headed hoe" can now be known as the "NHH word or phrase" and anyone in the entertainment/political industries should be forbidden from its use. This goes for rappers, entertainment executives, comedians, sportstars etc. regardless of skin color.

I don't believe he was using it as a result of hearing too much rap music but he was mockingly using the term in a let's make fun of 'ebonics' and 'rap culture' etc.

I am not defending the mean-spirited garbage but if mean-spirited garbage is to be banned from radio, then the airwaves are going to be silent (which would not be a bad thing). I don't want it on the air anymore than I want Franken, Coulter, Rhodes, Savage, Limbaugh, Hannity, Stern, O'Reilly, Beck, O'Donnell and any of the other mess that passes for on-air entertainment. My choice is to turn it off. Others choose to whine about it and be surprised when one of them says something stupid.

Because it is inequitable to fire one personality who offended one people group without firing all of the personalities who have ever offended anyone.

Taking your example, it would be like you defending all of the other rapists because they didn't rape a certain group.

I'm not a fan and I would encourage people to turn him off due to his ignorant worldview. However, if he desires the freedom to speak and others desire to have the freedom to hear, then I would not advocate for his dismissal. I would also like to note that the individuals that came off looking the best out of this is the Rutgers Women's basketball team and leadership. They took the high road on this and forgave Imus, who has apologized over and over and over and over and over again. Not everyone seems to have that same spirit of forgiveness.

5. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Here is just a question that I have never understood. Why is it that every time a celeberty, politician, or other notable public figure says something that is taken as racist, whether it is or not, they immediately go begging the forgivness of Jackson and Sharpton?

6. faithgirl46

faithgirl46 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Good point and good question.
    Faithgirl

7. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

By the very defenition of the word, we would know about it already if it was common and not have to search for it. The fact that we don't know of an example makes it uncommon.

This is why I think we will just have to agree to disagree on this subject. Because for some reason when these girls are insulted, for you it becomes about you, but for me I am thinking of them and the topic of discussion. This is why we obviously can't not agree, I am discussing Imus and his actions, you are taking other things personally and dismissing Imus's actions in the process.

• Again this has nothing to do with what Imus said about those young ladies.

Well, you kind of are.:BangHead:

This has nothing to do with free speech. It would be a free speech issue if the government had stopped him. The company that employs him has every right to fire him for this. He is still free to say whatever he believes. Someone else is still free to hire him if they choose. He can even stand on the street corner and say what he pleases, and people could listen. This has nothing do with freedom of speech.

Like I said earlier in this post, I think we will just have to agree to disagree on this. We are just coming from two different places on this.

8. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

It means that neither you nor I are experts on "nappy headed hoes".

It has to do with the double-standard that you desire to apply to this issue.

I loathe the use of the ":BangHead;" emoticon. It is demeaning and makes me feel stupid. I will be asking the moderators to ban you from this board for this offense.

In a governmental sense it does not. However, if someone can only say things that appeals to everyone all the time and can not hold a job if he doesn't, then I guess this makes him free to be unemployed.

So be it. There's far more important things to talk about anyway.

9. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

This will be my last post to you on the topic. But I can't help but point out the irony. You belittled the fact that these girls might be offended and two sensitive by being called racial slurs and whores, but this bang head offends you to this extreme.

Your previous qoute:

"Sounds like an excellent idea for a Kleenex advertisement.

I remember once someone called me a "stupid head"...that ruined my whole summer "

10. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

:BangHead: You hear how whiny it sounds?:BangHead:(I won't be contacting the moderators). :BangHead: ;)

11. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

I think what people really do not realize is that this is not a new occurance for Imus. The guy has been vulgar and obscene his entire career. This latsest incident is the straw that broke the camels back. I mean c'mon he used to introduce the traffic woman whose real name is Laura McNichol as Laura "Mcpart of the female anatomy". He has a very long history of disparaging pretty much everybody, but Jews most of all. I cannot even repeat the majority of what this guy has said in the past because it is so obscene and vulgar and certainly does not come anywhere close to meeting BB standards. The guy is rancid. He knew this day was coming. He has flown under the radar for far too long. It is high time that he was fired. In the real world he would have been fired long before. What is even more disgusting to me is that realization that money rules our world entirely. As bad as this guy has always been he was not fired until people were pulling their adds.

The same can be said for rap or any other music genre. Things will not change until consumers decide to change it, as in not buy it. It is time we stood up for what is right because it is right not becuase some other person has catapulted it into the spotlight. The fact that Sharpton and Jackson have jumped on the bandwagon should not even factor into anything, because frankly this not about them. Was Imus wrong? Yes. There are no yes, but.... What's wrong is wrong.

As for the whole rap v. Imus... It is all wrong, IMO. However, there is something to the argument that rap/hip hop does not target educated women of color. Imus did, which inevitably brought more attention to himself. Case in point, recently Imus called the New York Knicks a bunch of chest thumping thugs and pimps. Did anyone cause a big fuss, no. As for Rufus' example of Fred Durst and Korn it doesn't really apply to this situation. Fred Durst is white and he targeted another artist who is white, although he does have nasty, nappy dred locks. The key diference is that he targeted another artist, and it had nothing to do with race. As for other "artist" using derogatory terms for females it is all worng, but they are generally geared toward a certain stereotype and not a real person. So I guess that could be Imus' mistake. (I'm being sarcastic here) He's been fired now, so let's all move on to the next guy. We should all be making a more concerted effort to bring these people down, and forcing them to comply to higher standards. That's what is important. We are not helping anything by arguing over how bad rap is compared to Imus, or complaining that the Sharpton/Jackson gang have struck again. All that does is deflect the conversation from what really matters, and that is we are tired of indecency and obscenity on the airwaves and we want things to change.

#71 Filmproducer, Apr 13, 2007
  12. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

What is hypocriticle is those like sharpton and jackson who hold to a double standard. If your black then you get a pass at such statements.

13. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

Oh boo-hoo! I get it, your disdain for these two, I really do, but what does this have to do with anything? This is so very frustrating to me! Why do you think the media plasters them front and center in matters like these? Because they KNOW it causes controversy, and in return they receive higher RATINGS! If you look closely some black people have just as much disdain for them and their antics, and they voice it on air or in print. Why should it matter anyway? Was Imus wrong? It should not matter who gets involved in the aftermath. Just because some black people seem to get a pass for their racist/derogatory statements we should let everyone else? What kind of solution is that? Whining about how unfair life is never got anyone anywhere. Wrong is wrong, disrespect is disrespect, racist is racist, and it doesn't matter whose mouth it comes form. Why can't we stay focussed on what really matters in this country? It is bad enough that the media is in the entertainment business and not really concerned with real news. The media in America is like a big child with ADHD. They go into a frenzy concerning the most insignificant things and then they cannot even stay on topic. The more inane the better. :BangHead:

(FTR, I am not targeting you, my comments are in general)

14. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Great post, It is nice to see someone really understands the situation.

15. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Once again, you get it.

16. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Thank you for confirming one of my points. The expression "nappy headed" or "nappy head" is not a racist expression as it can apply to individuals of any race, that have a nappy head or hairstyle.

Now the next question is...is "ho" a racist expression or is there no such thing as a white "ho"? I can testify to having had dealings with more than one white "ho", though I would be more inclined to use the non-abbreviated Biblical term, were I to have found it necessary to describe them.

Btw, in the event folks aren't keeping track, not all of the Lady Knights are black. Ultimately, Imus was not cracking on their race so much as he was cracking on their appearance. Not only was this insensitive but it was ignorant as more than a few of the Lady Knights are quite easy to look at, not that married men like myself nor Imus should be evaluating such a condition of female college athletes. This is likely one more reason why women should be keepers of the home and not parading around in shorts and tanks chasing a round ball in front of a mixed audience. You can guess how short-lived my radio career would be with such a neanderthalic world view.

17. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

I understand what you are saying, but in this case I am going to have to disagree. Although nappy head can apply to people with tangled hair, it is derogatory when applied to women and racist when applied to black people. Case in point look it up in the urban dictionary. Is it wrong, maybe, but it isn't the first word(s) where meaning(s) has "evolved" over time.

Secondly, in Imus' case he cannot even say that it was not geared toward race. Especially because he and his cohorts went on to mention "jigaboos vs. wannabes", taken from a Spike Lee movie, further indicating it was a racial remark.

Third, is the fact Imus has a LONG history of racist remarks. Again further evidence that the statement was meant racially.

18. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Perhaps you can fill me in on School Daze...I started to watch some Youtube clips of it but it was too fleshly to view. I read the Wiki synopsis as well and the film seems offensive to a Christian world view. What's the definition / connotation of a Jigaboo and a Wannabe as I am unfamiliar with these terms. Also, how much work did Spike lose when he suggested Charlton Heston should be shot?

19. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

Actually never seen School Daze. I also do not know, or care, how much money Lee lost, if any, after the Heston comment.

As for jigaboos v. wannabes it deals with "colorism" in the black community, i.e. favoritism and/or advancement of lighter skin tones over the darker ones. The "racism", if you can call it that, within the black community towards each other. The whole thing has morphed into the jigaboos being the nappy haired, darker, and less desirable while the wannabes have "good" hair, are pretty, and more desirable. In the film it was meant to convey the socially relevant message of the absurdity of it all, which I am sure Imus was not trying to convey. This is not just an American phenomenon either. Look at the Hutus and Tutsis in Rwanda. At any rate they have been pretty common terms since Spike Lee's movie, and given Imus' other comments it is almost impossible to believe he wasn't speaking of race. Let's see the UT was cute, etc., and the Rutgers team nappy headed hos. Given the circumstances and terms used can you really claim it was not meant racially?

#79 Filmproducer, Apr 13, 2007
  20. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Why do you not care? Is it not a near equivalent if not worse and does it not demonstrate the double-standard of it all? A black entertainer says about a white entertainer, "Shoot him (Heston) with a .44 caliber Bulldog." Where was the furor for this death threat / joke? Shouldn't Spike Lee have been blacklisted from the entertainment industry the same way a white entertainer is when he makes a publicly unacceptable comment / joke or are we to believe that death threat jokes are acceptable?

To cite a more recent scandal. Will we be seeing Sharpton, Jackson and the black community apologizing to the Duke Lacrosse players for the wrongful accusations that harmed their careers and cancelled their season? I understand Sharpton defended the accuser and Jackson gave her a scholarship.

No, I won't make that claim. The comment was primarily an attack on the beauty or lack of beauty of the players, while using non-racial terms (nappy-headed ho) and racial terms (jiggaboo and wannabes) in a racial context in order to criticize the appearance of the basketball team. It was a poor decision and he should've apologized and asked for forgiveness and the players should've accepted his apology which, as it turns out, happened. Enter "Reverend" Jesse, and "Reverend" Al and the national witch hunt, and exit Imus' job.

As to the beginning part of your paragraph, it would appear as though the moral of all this, is that it is publicly acceptable for blacks to be racist against both blacks and whites but it is reprehensible for a white guy to use racial terms to describe blacks. While I agree that it is reprehensible, I am opposed to the double-standards exhibited within our society. It will lead to nothing but strife and anger throughout all the represented nations within this country.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.