1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

what was it about ?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by pinoybaptist, Aug 29, 2013.

1. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    on my way to the train station to pick up my wife I turned my radio on and caught Janet Parshall as she was finishing a discussion with ACLJ chief counsel Jay Sekulow.
    They were talking about a lesbian air force commander at Lackland in Texas and a USAF service member.
    I didn't catch everything before they switched their topic to that pastor imprisoned by Iran but from what I gather it seems that this lesbian commander used her powers within the Air Force to threaten this service member who spoke out his mind against homos and lesbians and now this service member stands to lose all his retirement privileges and he's had 19 years of service already.
    Does anyone here know what that was all about ?
    Thanks.

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    An airman was told to punish a soldier for sharing his religious beliefs in a classroom setting with trainees. This airman is against same-sex marriage and homosexuality – unfortunately his commander is a lesbian. The debate seems to be surrounding whether or not Christians are allowed to vocalize their Christianity in any setting.

http://www.onenewsnow.com/legal-courts/2013/08/20/i-cannot-answer-your-question-air-force-sgt-says-lesbian-commander-booted-him-from-unit#.Uh_tE9JONdE

Of course, the other side of the story is that a classroom full of trainees is not the appropriate place (per the employer) to vocalize one’s faith. It is against military regulations (no matter the agenda). So the bigger question is whether or not, as a Christian, one should disobey at the expense of their employment to voice such objections. The second question is whether or not they should get out of whatever penalty is dished out – or simply take the penalty as a consequence of their faith.

3. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    thanks

hey, jon-c, thanks for the info.
    you know, interestingly, this morning I was listening to John McArthur and he touched on that verse in one of Peter's epistle on Christian persecution, and he said he agreed with some commentators who feel that one of the verses meant being persecuted for one's political beliefs.
    According to him, that is not Christian persecution per se, because it has nothing at all to do with the preaching of the gospel but rather one is persecuted for his political agitation against a cultural or government policy and any government, from Peter's time, is necessarily secular and therefore will not always agree with Christianity's points of view (not verbatim, but I think that's what it is).
    Surprisingly, I agree with him as well because I have always thought and maintained that the instructions and examples in Scripture is SOLELY for the benefit and learning of the one who names Christ as his Lord basing that on what Paul said in Romans 15:4 and 1 Corinthians 10:12.
    Too bad for this airman, though, because now he stands to lose his retirement benefits and all.
    I pray the best for him.
    I hope Jay Sekulow and the ACLJ are able to really help him.
    It sucks to lose 19 years of faithful service because one thinks the world is supposed to see things the way a Christian does.

4. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Do you ever listen to Janet mefferd show? She has as her guest Johnny Mac and RC Sproul sometimes and current event coverage. http://janetmefferd.com/

5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. I think that we stand as a light in the darkness – so our actions should be witnesses of Christ to a lost world – I am cautious when it comes to political views (sometimes they are not always and simply based on Scripture). It is too bad for the airman – but I suppose not really if he is genuinely being persecuted for Christ.

It’s a hard call. As a Christian I wouldn’t want others such as Mormons, Muslims, Buddhists, etc. using time allocated for learning to share their beliefs with my son. So in a secular forum, I suppose it would be dangerous to allow any person to engage in religious persuasion. So I can see in some instances letting Christ shine through your life rather than directly confronting beliefs. But if God led that man to witness to one of the trainees then he did well to obey (knowing that there may be consequences for his obedience). I certainly don’t think that it would be enough to lose one’s career over. But I really don’t know – I can see both sides of this one (taking the little I know of the story at face value).