1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What would it take....

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by menageriekeeper, Sep 21, 2004.

1. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

to fire, remove or otherwise get rid of your pastor or associate pastor?

Would differences in say music preference or preaching style do it or would it take some more serious offence such as theological or moral difference (such as their stance on inerrancy or homosexuality) or even an immoral act?

Do you consider calling a minister to preach a permanent position or can he be 'divorced' when he changes things up a bit?

My personal view is if the church has called him then they should stick with him until there is a major difference over theological or moral grounds. All else is vanity and ego.

Thoughts?

2. Pastor J

Pastor J New Member

I cannot speak for other churches, but in our church it takes a 3/4 majority of active members to fire a Pastor. The reasons listed are 1. Disqualification from the ministry - The pastor no longer meets the qualifications listed in Scripture; 2. Doctrinal - The pastor no longer is in agreement with the church Doctrinal Statement or constitution. Hope this helps

3. menageriekeeper

Thank You. That does help.

Could you go a bit further and explain just how such a motion would be given?

I am truely curious because I'm hearing rumblings that our deacon board is 'dissatisfied' with our pastor.

I haven't heard anything but support for the pastor from the members although I do recognize that his preaching style and way of doing business are significantly different from our last pastor(who by the way never learned my name).

It also appears that the deacons are trying to keep this quiet until they spring it on the members.

Hence the curiosity on how other churches handle this matter.

4. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

From my experience, once the deacons have made up their collective mind do something like this, its pretty much a done deal. And it certainly isnt right. They aren't the hiring/firing party, but they often function that way. So sorry you are going thru this!!!

5. Bible Student

Bible Student New Member

Maybe the rest of the church should call these deacons out and make them be open with what they are doing. Sounds to me like they feel they are loosing their power and want to get rid of him.

A church better be careful how they "fire" a pastor, cause it could leave a scar for a long time.

6. Pastork

Pastork New Member

The pastorate is not a job. It is a calling. Churches that view their pastors simply as employees that can be hired or fired will probably end up doing a lot of both, since their whole perspective toward the pastor's ministry is off to begin with.

7. menageriekeeper

Now there you go, Pastork. I agree completely. If they didn't want to stick with this man they shouldn't have called him in the first place.

I must say though that the last pastor was there for 12-15 years(way before I became a member). I believe that IF there is a problem it is more because this preacher is so different than what the church was used to.

I recognized that fact when they called him. Thought it might be a good thing for the church to experience a little change as we were always doing the same thing the same way as it had in the past.

8. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

Any church where the deacons hold power is headed for trouble. They are to be servants. They are to do the tasks that no one else will do. In our church when someone got sick, guess who cleaned up the mess, a deacon. They are not to run the church or the pastor. If the people let them do this now, the church will be harmed in such a way that it may never recover.

Bro Tony

9. Pastor J

Pastor J New Member

Menagerie,

The process is layed out in 1 Tim. where it states that we are to receive not an accusation against an elder except in the company of 2-3 witnesses (Paraphrasing). The idea is that if we are going to bring an accusation against a pastor, witnesses are required. We should follow the guidelines set forth in Matthew for dealing with a brother who has offended us, even if it is the pastor. If the Pastor will not hear, then it should be brought before the church. It is then up to the church whether to release (fire) him or keep him. Once the church makes the decision, realize there will be some who are not happy and there will be some division in the church. This process is not something that should be taken lightly.

10. menageriekeeper

So much has happened since I posted last, I don't know where to start.

The entire community it seems knew that the deacons were trying to get rid of the pastor. Everyone except the majority of the church members themselves.

At least it is not a secret anymore. The Pastor himself told the church at the end of services. The deacons will meet to make a decision tomorrow night.

Is there anyway to stop the steamroller after it gets started? I really don't believe that the majority of member want this, but how does one go about presenting our view?

IF it were you in this position would you stay even if the vote by the members was in your favor?

11. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Read your constitution and see what the proper procedure is for your church. As to presenting your view, just go to them and tell them and encourage others to do the same.

12. menageriekeeper

If I could come up with a copy of our church constitution, I would do just that. Our over 100 year old church doesn't seem to have a specific document that is the constitution. I can't figure it out. When I started asking around it seem like no one really knows the bylaws of the church. It has to be there somewhere but it seems that mostly we do things like they were always done and no one has ever put these things together in one document.

Would my presenting my views be contrary to scripture that says a woman should keep silent in the church?

13. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

no, it wouldnt. That is not in context with that passage.

14. Pastor J

Pastor J New Member

I would agree with TaterTot. I also believe that without a constitution, the church members have no chance of stopping the deacons from firing the pastor. Keep digging for the constitution. If the church is incorporated, they are required to have one.

15. Bro.Bill

Bro.Bill New Member

The church membership might also consider calling the deacons to account.Deacons are servants not masters.
    If your church does'nt have a constitution and bylaws setting them up is 100 years past due.
    Does your church have a board of trustees?

16. menageriekeeper

Now that is a question I don't know the answer to. If we do it is probably populated by the same people who dominate the deacon board.

We have a committee for everything!

The last few days have convinced me that I and a whole lot of other church members don't know the mechanics of how the church is run. We have a big church and I've asked several people if they have ever seen the constitution and no one has.

I would have asked the church office but I ended up having to work today.