1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What's all the middle stuff for???

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Greektim, Apr 16, 2012.

1. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Well, I must confess I was too lazy to look up the chapter count....but as a whole....I think the notion of what I was trying to convey still basically remains. Decidedly, you are correct about the gospel of Mark, but proportionally Mark is weighted towards his earthly ministry more than the rest are....Mark is often understood to have been written with a Roman readership in mind.....hence its focus on Christ as the suffering servant et. al. But, Mark's start of the passion week in ch. 11----of 16, well, that is roughly a third no?

hmm....I wonder if I agree....the point I was trying to convey is that the Gospels themselves are only intelligible if one relates them back to previous Scripture.....Alternatively, I would use previous Scripture to modify the teachings in the gospel accounts before I would use the gospel accounts to modify previous revelation....Jesus quoted the former Scriptures so much (that's all he had to allude to of course).
    Again, I am not so sure about this...the writers of the epistles so often quote the O.T. and support their points of view from the O.T. that (I could be wrong) but I suppose I see the O.T. as explaining to us what we need to know will occur.....the gospels explaining the history of how it did occur.... and the epistles wrapping the whole thing up in idiot-proof language (which we still don't understand and bicker about :laugh:) I suppose I do not take my Theology from the gospels as much as I do from the O.T. and the epistles.... To put it this way....I add no more weight to what the Son said "in red" than what the Father said "in black" 3,000 years earlier!!! :eek:

Great discussion you started!!!!:thumbsup:

#21 HeirofSalvation, Apr 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2012