1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What's the Deal With Liberty and LBU?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by TCGreek, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Sly Fox

Sly Fox New Member

For the record, the relative of mine in question is a seminary grad and an author of nearly 40 books. His name would be recognizable to a significant number of the board's members. He has been granted a number of different honorary doctorates over the course of the past 35 years as a tribute to his contributions. He doesn't hang the sheep skins on the wall or list them on his book covers. But he accepts them as a show of respect to the institutions who choose to honor him.

At the same time, he does not have a PhD. So by some measures on this board, he is unworthy to be considered a scholar. I find this position disappointing. But while I disagree with their trains of thought, I understand their mindset.

2. Broadus

Broadus Member

I'm not sure that anyone on this board has put forth the belief that a person must have a PhD to be a scholar. As a matter of fact, a person can obtain a PhD and not really be a scholar. Obtaining a PhD is a matter of perseverance as much as anything else.

What some folks on the board have an issue with, and I am admittedly one of them, is the parading of PhD's and other doctorates by folks who obtained them from institutions which are really not qualified to offer them. I'm referring to such places as Andersonville and Covington.

Probably no man has influenced my ministry as much as John MacArthur. He's a scholar-pastor in my book, and his honorary doctorate is in tribute of that. Your relative appears to be in that same boat.

Bill

3. jilphn1022

jilphn1022 New Member

Well stated!

I wish that I could express myself as well as you have in your post.

I have been exposed to books that are written by "scholars" but they have "borrowed" material from others and not given proper recognition of the source. Sly Fox ,your relative maybe closer if in fact a scholar compared to those who are called scholar and their works so otherwise. God wants us to be faithful and true not men of many of degrees only.

Lord bless you and your relatives. Who knows we all may have read your relative's books.