1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What's the point of Jesus dying for everyone?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Isaiah40:28, May 1, 2007.

1. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

I got in a rush to get ready for work and I forgot to point two things on my mind.

1st you said...
    just what Bible are you using? :) I guess i need to ask...how many verse would you like to see. Ok..for starters...stay in the passage. Read chapters 2 and 3 and give us a report of how many churches are told to repent.

you said...
    When I 1st read this I thought it said "cut grass"...and I was going to ask..who cuts the grass. But I guess I was thinking of my own lawn that needs cut.

But...anyway..you said cut glass not grass...which is a even better point....being this is talking about works of the believer. Read the book of james..chapter 1 or 2....and your have your glass as applied to your works as a believer. :)

2. Allan

Allan Active Member

This ALREADY EXISTING Church, is by majority - LOST. Yes.
    No. I didn't say that now did I? Nor did I imply that. I said that Church which was already established is NOW made up in the majority of Lost people who profess themselves saved. I'm sure you know the verse "...many shall come to saying Lord Lord, have we not done...in your name...and I will profess to them..." Those who think they are but in truth are false professors.

Actaully your understanding of the word "church" is flawed. It does not always mean gathering of believers. But yes it is referencing the established church which now consists of those few believers that are still there in the midst of all the false professing others.

It does there, and it is quite evident. It says "...they ARE poor, and naked, and..." not that "...your works are poor, and wreched, naked (what does this have to do with works :laugh: ), and blind (this one two), and miserable (agian this one)" These speak to the condition of a person and not the value of their works.
    2 of the seven churches are praised and the other 5 are in need of correction and discipline. The common theme is that of - are we about our Fathers business while maintaining a right relationship with our Father in Heaven.

But regarding The Church in Laodicea, it became infested with the ungodly self-righteous religious men and was destroying the name the Church once had. The main premise of this seventh church is these believes were not anywhere near the life giving sourse, Jesus. Luke-warm isn't about fence sitting but uselessness. Since Laodicea was rich in many things save one, it had to import it - WATER. And they did from a town called Hierapolis (sp?) 15 miles or so away. It had cold mountain spring fed rivers and Hot spring baths for medicial purposes. But by the time they piped the water from there to laodicea the cold water became warm due to the desert and the hot water became warm also. And in that part of the world (specifically hot arid regions) warm water is the breeding ground for bacteria and viruses which cause sever vomiting when drunk if it has not been properly purified. Much like Jesus stating since they are neither hot nor cold, He would spue them out of His mouth, BECAUSE they ARE poor ,and blind, naked, miserable, and wretched. I can give you many scripture were these are discriptors of the unsaved, but have yet to see any scripture given to show these are conditions related to a believer.

This water issue is specific to its region and people who understood the metaphore used of them. This goes on and deeper but I have not the time to go into it right now. I appoligize for that. Maybe another time regarding Laodicea's history.

I agree and when you get to Laodicea I did not say ALL that thought they were the Church were not believers, I said the majority. Much like Israel.

Secondly, who said anything about a building? I know I never did.
    Jesus was knocking on the door to their hearts and if any man opened the door to allow intimate fellowship, Jesus would come into him.

Yes, works is part of the theme. And their works (Laodicea) were vomitous and useless. Not like the works of believers, huh?

This is where you misread the text. It states "...they (the Church) ARE poor, naked, and ..." Establing their spiritual condition which is the sourse of their filthy ragged righteousness. It is from their condition (the majority) that they are equated to the ungodly sinner, which the actually are.

You are right that Christ is on the outside looking in. He was not in their lives and therefore they were not believers and is why they were blind, poor, wretched, miserable, and naked (everything a non-believer is stated as being). The rest of your your opinion has no basis for scripture does not say any of it concerning them doing good things but not Gods things. That is something completely brought to the scripture and interposed into to it. It is speaking of salvation here, and no, you case isn't much stronger because God is calling for the ALL to come to Him IF THEY WILL...open the door. God calls due to His love.

#242 Allan, May 10, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2007
  3. Allan

Allan Active Member

Matthew Henry agrees with me on this church:

#243 Allan, May 10, 2007
  4. Allan

Allan Active Member

Good one. But I was refering to individuals and Revelation is speaking to the Church as a whole who has become wayward, and should have been more clear.

As a matter of fact it is the ONLY place in the entirety of scripture where repentance is an issued command toward His people (I should say in the NT). It is not issued toward individuals even though each person individually does contributes, they allow and do things as one group by that which the Church deems scriptural. So some follow along unwittingly (though accountable since they should study to know better) and others do things knowingly but as a whole they are one - both the god-fearing and non-fearing. Therfore they are judged as one. Thereby being judged for their lack and wandering from Him and the Truth in Him, they are called to repent of turn back to Him as the whole - Church.

Though the individuals need to repent and get their own personal lives right, Christ was speaking to the CHurch for IT to repent and get itself right on the whole.

#244 Allan, May 10, 2007
  5. Allan

Allan Active Member

The Children of Israel were the servants of God. At salvation where Sonship is imparted so also is servantship. But Israel were servant that could become "friends" by living their faith to His word.

We are Sons through our faith in Christ.

Yes it is, and it is ONLY concerning the 11 disciples. You can not show Jesus refering to anyone else there by context.

That is because you have a misunderstanding regarding Rom 9 which is about election to or of purpose and not salvation. It is about Israels history.
    It is not meaningless if you take scripture for what it says. Hate is important in these passages because it is directly correlary to the Love therein. Yes the point is love, but what kind and to whom and it is this which gives hate its true meaning.

I never said election was based on works, it is based on the work of the Spirit (convicting the world of sin, Jesus's righteouness, and His judgment to come) and belief in the truth.

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

So does John Macarthur :)

7. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Please show me one text in the Bible where "called out assembly of believers" can not be applied. :)

8. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Indeed i am right. :) This is not talking about salvation...unless of course you feel you work your way to salvation.

The rest of my statement was not an opinion, for it comes from the same text. It rest only a few verses ahead of the verse you brought up. So...so the "door" talking about salvation? If so...who can never open it?

Please do not run from this....address it. :)

9. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Are you asking me or God? I do believe it is His Words. And please tell me what subject God addresses to each church? I'll give you a hint. It starts with a "w". :)

10. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Who is Matthew Henry? Wait...is he the check-out guy that works at walmart? Cool...he writes pretty good. But I tell you want...I'll stick with what God says.

This is why you hardly see me post others work when it comes to Bible verse. I can read the Bible on my own. Now doctrine...yes sometimes I will.

don't waste your time on posting more men. I know what most say...and BTW..I know happen to know what Matt says too. This does not mean it is a right view. Good men get it wrong sometimes. But don't feel to bad...matt is wrong with ya. :)

So...what does the text say? It says they are the "called out assembly"...i'll just leave it at that. :)

but really this has nothing to do with what I 1st posted...its only a sidetrack in order not to address the verse

so...does God chasten all men? If so, what is the point of this verse? <<<<< this is what I asked.

does God chasten all men???????????? well does He?

11. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

ok..i'll answer...yes james it is just like food. You can love food but hate french fries

12. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

wait now. Just before you said this was not a church, but individuals. Now your saying it is speaking to a church...and not individuals???

are you saying a church can be saved as a whole? surely not.

which is it man??

13. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

aaaaw well...I'll pass on this one. :)

yes...so your saying all the words addressing the 11...did not apply to other believers? thats a new twist.

humm. lets see what I don't understand.
    I do not agree...but in this case I'll let you have it...just to show it matters not.

i agree. and a few other things...but the point remains.

i agree. how am i doing so far?

yes...and this is the very thing I said.

Ok...you agree love is the point. So what kinds of love does God have? I know one...pure love. What else?

this i would have to disaree with...but we were not talking about election. I brought up romans 9 to show the Love/ hate statement that non-calvinist freak out about, is about love. When you change the word, it changes the meaning...for this is the point if the passage...i will love my people...(i'll add..through election)

14. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

who is john macarthur? ol wait...jarthur....its me. :)

ok..poor joke. what I wait to know more then anything is what does God say?

15. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

16. Allan

Allan Active Member

I have only a minute, and though much of what you wrote is easy to refute I will deal with this one due to time restraints.

The word in scripture may refer to:
    The assembly of Jewish people (Acts 7:38)
    A heathen assembly (Acts 19:32, 39, 41)
    The Body of Christ (Col. 1:18)
    The local Assembly (1 Cor 1:2, and Rev 2 and 3 regarding each of the seven Churches)

BTW - I RARELY quote anyone but since Matthew Henry is a renowned Calvinististic theologian who was not a dispinsatioalist and obviously someone with whom my views are somewhat different, shows with much better clarity the simple bible fact Jesus was addressing the unsaved that were in the church - local assembly.

#256 Allan, May 10, 2007
  17. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

No need to look up each verse...i see you now agree with me. Local assembly of believers just as you stated above...what more needs to be said?

as I said.. before you said this was not a church, but individuals. Now your saying it is speaking to a church...and not individuals???

Look you have jumped back and forth on something that is not even the subject.

this is just another sidetrack as to not to address what was asked...so we can pick this up at a later date.

Back to the subject at hand

so...does God chasten all men? If so, what is the point of this verse? <<<<< this is what I asked.

does God chasten all men???????????? well does He?

#257 Jarthur001, May 10, 2007
  18. Allan

Allan Active Member

It might behoove you to re-read. I have not jumped back and forth on anything.

I said Jesus is speaking to the Church at Laodicea (the local assembly - NOT specifcially believers only - You might just WANT to read those verse I gave ;)
    ) AND to individuals which make up this church.Are you truly nieve enough to believe that just because a person claims to be saved and made to be apart of the body of believers (by man) that 'all' actaully are saved. It is no different than Israel.

God called the whole Nation of Israel His children but in reality they were not 'all' His followers/Children. God when God judged Israel He did it as a whole but was merciful to those who truly beleived. IF all are believers and children of God who are in these Churches James then why do the Apostles speak of apostacy, false teachers/prophets, false believers IN THE CHURCH.

No, I did not jump around, you are just having a hard time coming to terms with what the text actaully says. God is speaking to the Church that it is has come to a codition of lostness due to those who make it up. God (speaking of the churches He is addressing) will chasten those whom He loves. He loves His church but this one has become over run with pretenders and the true believers are doing nothing to change it. God says to the church - Repent. But to the individuals in the Church who are lost, and Jesus standing outside their lives is knocking to come, IF THEY WILL OPEN the door, I will come in. (this door is not the same as the one you keeping trying to bring in- That one only Jesus can open - THIS one MAN must open, or did God lie) IF they will, I will.

God is speaking to the Church (assembly but not specifically that ALL are born-again) and that in dealing with the Church and showing it condition He then focuses on the individuals who are lost and don't know it (Mat 7 - many shall say unto Me Lord, Lord....) that they might be saved and added to the Church spiritually and thereby change it's condition from lost, vomitous, and useless, to being saved, pleasing, and a workman that needeth not be ashamed.

It is not a side issue but apart of the issue.

But as I stated God love is toward the Churches on the whole and deals with the Churches on the whole. He is rebuking the Local churches, admonishing them if they turn, and praising 2 of the 7 for their faithfulness. God calls the Church of Laodicea to repent for what it has allowed to happen to itself through indifference and self-exaltation.

#258 Allan, May 10, 2007
  19. Allan

Allan Active Member

God loved the Nation of Israel and called them His people, and yet we also find God who hates divorce - now divorcing Israel for it's idolatry. And then later will bring her back to Himself.

God loves Israel as His people but not all of Israel are followers of God. God judges all of Israel due to the majority of Israel being in rebellion (of many things).
    God's love is Pure (as in untainted) but it is also multi-facueted.
    Do you beleive that God commands to be more loving that He, Himself is?
    We are to love our God
    We are to love our family
    We are to love our Wives
    We are to love our neighbor
    We are to love our enimies

Are we more Godly or benevolent than God?
    We are to be imitators of Christ, and if God says we are to love our enimies that means that Christ loved His enemies as well, just as God the Father who Jesus came to show man through Him - loves even His enemies. It is pure love but there are differing aspects of love.

20. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Allan,

In other words, as far as your logic goes, Christ could have been addressing all the "cat houses" of the day. A cat house has a group of people...a local assembly it is as well. Is this right?

Thanks for the one line above. Kinda little jump back and forth again. Thats ok....stay put and your land in the right place. :)

#260 Jarthur001, May 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2007