1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

When a Type is not a Type

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by richard n koustas, Sep 18, 2006.

1. richard n koustas

richard n koustas New Member

I may be a bit hazy on my Jewish history, but was there actually a distinction back then? Was Abraham actually the first Jew?

yes.
    true. The HS is pictured in the gift AND the giver.
    I see your point here, but i still see this as the great marriage supper, in type -- when Jesus comes for the church.

Hey, I ended the type at the marraige. I did not go beyond it. as with all types, none are perfect, and none are complete, although the story of Joseph probably comes pretty close -- down to the point where he reveals himself to his brothers.

Nothing. Does it need to? It just reinforces that we have Christ plastered in the pages of the OT, not just in prophecy, not just in Messianic psalms, but burried (burried to be uncovered) in the OT.

Too many questions...not enough time to respond to them all.:wavey:

2. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, when authenic types are mentioned in the New Testament, they are always used to elaborate on teaching/doctrine.
    peace to you:praying:

3. richard n koustas

We are not going be rehashing where each of us draw the line thingy, are we? peace to you:praying:, too!

4. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

So, do you have Scripture to back up this doctrine that you're pushing?

5. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    What doctrine would that be?

6. richard n koustas

sorry for the late hit on this thread, but i just 'found' a NT reference to Isaac being a type ofChrist. Heb 11:17 - 19:

7. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

The one that I quoted in which you cited "authentic" types. You're claiming that there is some authority that only types that are mentioned in the NT are "authentic", and I'm curious as to your authority for this. If it's scriptural, show it.

8. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is Heb 11:17-19 teaching?

9. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    You didn't understand my post. When the authors of the New Testament specifically use the word "type" to identify a type, they use the comparison to teach or elaborate on doctrine.

These are "authentic" in that since the authors specifically use the word "type" there is no doubting their intention to use it for that purpose.

Since that is the model shown to us in scripture (specifically using the word "type"), then it is certainly scriptural to follow the lead of Holy Spirit and limit the identification of "types" to those that are specifically mentioned as such in scripture.

It is also scriptural to limit the scope of such a "type" to the scope mentioned in scripture (i.e. the scope of the Gal.4 passage is that Isaac is a "type" of believer, born of the promise and not born under bondage which signifies the Mosaic Law in context).

10. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

There is something somewhere said about "Fools jump in where angels fear to tread." I have not got into this until now, but "Ker-Splash!!" :eek: (Thankfully, there was water in the pool!) & (Too bad I don't have a better smilie for this!) :laugh:

Am I the only one who has noticed that "type" and "antitype" are "theological" words primarily, as opposed to "Biblical" words? :confused:

In fact, among most of the twenty versions I find on Bible Gateway©[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif], aside from AMP and YLT, these words and/or synonyms very seldom are even found. And in the few instances they are, these seem, at a quick glance, to be limited to exactly four passages: Rom. 5:14; Gal. 4:24; Heb. 11:19; and I Peter 3:21, where baptism is said to be an antitype by the NKJV.

So we therefore, as far as I can tell anyway, have only three clearly declared "types" or "antitypes" in Scripture. They are Adam [Rom. 5:14 - NKJV, ESV, ('prototype' - HCSB)] and Isaac twice (Heb. 11:19, and Gal. 4:24)- both of which as well as Adam, were types of Christ, and baptism, which is an antitype (NKJV) of the Flood, Noah, the Ark, or Jesus preaching unto the 'spirits in prison', depending on how one actually interprets this in its context.

There simply are not a great number so defined by Scripture.
    >
    >
    >

'Now climbing back up out of the pool soaking wet and dripping water everywhere.'

Language Cop

P.S. For any who might still not be aware, Language Cop is the alter-ego of EdSutton. :thumbsup:
    [/FONT]

#50 EdSutton, Oct 7, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2006
  11. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

So, you're claiming the only types in the OT are the ones that are mentioned by the NT authors? Perhaps we should simply throw out the entire NT, unless it's mentioned in the NT.

12. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist