1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

When are you a missionary?

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by Mr. Nice Guy, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Mr. Nice Guy

Mr. Nice Guy New Member

At what point are you a missionary?

For a long time, if you work for the greater good of God's Kingdom in another country that is not where you come from, (if that actually makes sense), then you were a missionary.

My question is why cant you be a mssionary in your own community?
    Don't get me wrong, I fully support missionary families and everything they do. But, for the people who can't speak another language or something like that, why cant you be a missionary right here, in your neighbourhood.

My pastor once challenge our church saying, "Missions start in our own communities!" And I 100% agree with him.

I won't you, whereever you are in the world, think, think about what you can do as a christian, no matter you denomination, can do in your community to make it a better place and to bring those in your street to Christ.

Im from Melbourne, Australia. And every second yr my church, a Baptist church, and about 15 others from our area, of all different denominations, I think we are the only Baptist in the lot, come together to put on a big Youth event, for the community. This whole thing is just so the youth that attened our youth groups can bring there friends to an awesome day out, and hopefully to Jesus.
    What I'm trying to say, is that I beleive that we need to stress less about what type of church we go to, and work together, everyone, all christians, for the greater good of God's Kingdom aswell as the people in our own communities. It is possible, it does work. So please join me on this, we are all Christians after the same thing after all, so lets help each other out.

Mr. Nice Guy

2. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a sign on the inside of every door of our church. As you go out, you can read it. It says, "You are now entering the mission field." Just trying to remind God's people what this life is all about.

3. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Mr. Nice Guy,

we all would agree I think that everyone can be and should be a missionary at home first. I don't agree that it doesn't matter which church you go to......nor do I agree that ecumenicalism is a valid way to do missions work. However, cooperating with fellow like-minded believers is a good idea.

Missions is a concept which usually encompasses coming outside of your own comfort zone and going to someone else in their culture in order to reach them for Christ. There is a unique set of issues they deal with on the foreign field, too.

btw, foreign missionaries are most usually not born knowing a second language. They work very hard to learn the language of the field they will be going to. Not knowing a second language is never a valid excuse for not going to the foreign field. But yes, until then, we all ought to be out there reaching those around us.

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I don't think you are going to find the word "missionary" in the Bible.

We all have been given a ministry of reconciliation. We all have our own ministry, some have a ministry in the workplace, some in school, some in America, and some in other parts of the world.

Every Christian is a missionary - question is are they faithful to their ministry or not?

5. Rachel

Rachel New Member

That's good! :)

True.

6. AAA

AAA New Member

As far as I am concerned I believe that all bornagain christians should witness and that when you become a missionary to those around you for the glory of GOD.

:godisgood: