1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

When did Eve "die"?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by webdog, Sep 11, 2006.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

On another thread in the other christian forum, it was stated that Eve didn't "die" when she ate of the fruit...but when she believed the serpent's lie over God'. What say ye?

Gen 2:16 And the LORD God commanded the man, "You are free to eat from any tree of the garden,
    Gen 2:17 but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for on the day you eat from it, you will certainly die."

Gen 3:2 The woman said to the serpent, "We may eat the fruit from the trees in the garden.
    Gen 3:3 But about the fruit of the tree in the middle of the garden, God said, 'You must not eat it or touch it, or you will die.'"

#1 webdog, Sep 11, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2006
  2. Allan

Allan Active Member

Interesting question.

Since scripture stipulates consistantly the Eve was decieved, I would ASSUME it was when she chose to beleive the Serpent over the Word of the Lord and step outside the authority of her husband.

However it was her action OF disobedience that the Lord rebukes her for.
    Gen 3:13 And the LORD God said unto the woman, What [is] this [that] thou hast done? And the woman said, The serpent beguiled me, and I did eat.

I say: what one believes, one will do.
    And what one does not understand, one can be decieved.
    But the Truth can and will always be found in God if we will but go to Him and ask.

#2 Allan, Sep 11, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2006
  3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Did she know that stepping out of her husband's authority was sin? What if she believed the serpent...but then didn't eat of the fruit for whatever reason? Is being "deceived" a sin?

4. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Eve died when Adam died. Mankind died when Adam died.

The covenant was only made with Adam (Gen 2:17) which was before Eve came on the scene.

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

To me scripture specifies that when the fruit was eaten she died. Gen 2:17

6. Allan

Allan Active Member

But eating the fruit did not kill you, it was making the conscience choice to disobey God.
    And to Webdog
    Of course she knew it was wrong to step outside the authority of her husband. God marks it out in her curse. They were the smartest people (albeit the only ones) on the planet that walked in fellowship with God who helped them understand all things pertaining to their life and work. God did not change the natural order of things.

Is being diseived sin? but the action brought revelation and that revelation showed her what she did was wrong. THEN it was accounted to her sin because she chose to hear the serpent out. She chose to beleive the serpent over what she already knew.

7. Diggin in da Word

Diggin in da Word New Member

God knew in order for Eve to eat that fruit, she would be deceived. He gave Adam the warning (not Eve),
    Adam must have related the message to Eve, for Eve told the serpent,
    Apparently, Adam added a command, 'Neither shall ye touch it' Adam knew the tree was forbidden and he stressed that fact by adding in his order to the woman, 'Don't even touch it.'

Eve ate, and God kept His Word. They both died.

8. Allan

Allan Active Member

Diggin in Da Word

I agreed with most everything except your last statement

You find this no where in scripture that Adam told here this or added to Gods command. It could very well be that Eve is exagerating and adding it herself since she is already ingrossed in the tale. The serpent exagerates (Did God say? insinuating that SHE did not hear it from God) , Eve exagerates by adding to Gods Word. Then the serpent tosses in his deceptive lie, and Eve bites. (the first recorded Gossip session in the bible :laugh: ) And just look what a mess it can make if you believe it. Sounds like a sermon in there somewhere

:godisgood:

9. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, there's a whole lot I'd like to say here, but alas, I have no time this morning.

Here's something I must interject though.

Adam had no authority over Eve until God gave them their punishments. God was their authority until the fall.

Eve couldn't "step out" from under Adam's authority because in the perfect world of Eden, he has none over her.

A man ruling over a woman was Eve's and the rest of womankind's punishment.

Genesis 3:16 She was punished by having to go through the entire process of childbearing (which includes periods, labor pains, menopause, sometimes barreness, sometimes miscarriages.)

She was also punished by having her husband rise up and rule over her.

10. donnA

donnA Active Member

A choice without action is meaninless, the bible specifies death came from eating the forbidden fruit. Eating the fruit was her disobedience. And they did die, spiritually.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I agree...so is unbelief a sin?

12. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Yea sure, where have you been? I don't know too many men that do the ruling to be honest. Women have this special influence over men that make them crawl like babies.

I know some who say they are the rulers and may even think it but, ha :tonofbricks: :tonofbricks:

#12 Brother Bob, Sep 12, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2006
  13. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I can't speak for anyone else on this Board, but as for me, and my house, my lovely bride :love2: is perfectly willing to let me have her way.

Ed

14. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

She died spiritually the split second that she disobeyed God and ate of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. Likewise, her relationship with God died at that same second. Additionally, be began to die physically (the long slow process of life to death that we all go through) when she ate of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil.

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I agree. It has been stated, however, that unbelief in itself is a sin. I'm trying to figure out if that is the case, Eve would have sinned prior to eating of the fruit...even though Scripture states they died when they ate the fruit. How, then, is unbelief sin?

16. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Amen...........

17. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Unbelief that Jesus was the Christ is sin. Doesn't say whether she believed or didn't believe before she ate that she would die. Did she know what death was? Not even the animal had died at this time.

#17 Brother Bob, Sep 12, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2006
  18. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

Where is the proof that physical death was the result of their sin? This is something I was taught and accepted but when it comes to actually proving it from scripture I found no overwhelming evidence.

If Adam and Eve were created to live forever physically then what was the purpose of the Tree of Life? Was Eden suppose to be mans eternal home? Is Heaven better than Eden?

19. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

If this is true then the Bible is wrong. The Bible clearly teaches death came when Adam disobeyed God. Think about it, Eve ate first. If Eve eating the fruit was sin then Rom 5:12 is wrong.

12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:

Here is my understanding, Eve had not been told directly by God about the trees—Adam had instructed her. In turn, God instructed Adam about the trees before Eve was created. For Eve, the struggle was over whether to submit to Adam's command or to the serpent's words. We all know what happened, she chose the serpant over her husband. This is why God placed her under mans rule.

Now according to Rom 5:12 sin and death entered the world when Adam sinned. This is because when Adam ate the fruit, he directly disobeyed God. He was not deceived; he sinned outright. Eve transgression was to Adam not God and it was not eating the fruit, it was being deceived by the serpent.

1 Timothy 2:14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.

God told Adam and only Adam not to eat the fruit so the covenant was between God and Adam.

20. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Rom 5:12 says death entered by one man.

The tree of life was not needed until man fell. Watch carefully, God said Adam could eat of every tree in the garden except one, tree of knowledge of good and evil. The tree of Life was there but he was not forbidden to eat of that tree. You see what I mean?

Genesis 2:9 And out of the ground made the LORD God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

I believe Eden and heaven are the same spiritual place. Paradice. You recall where the tree of life was when Adam was kicked out of the garden? Notice this verse?

Rev 22:2 In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.

Unless God moved the tree then this must be the same place.