1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

When Did KJVO come Into Church?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by JesusFan, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I had the privilege of visiting Ukraine last summer and talking with a pastor whose father was also a pastor there under the Communists. I still weep when I think of the stories he told of the punishments that they endured.

2. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do believe that most of my KJV friends have given up and left this forum...there are two or three posters here that relish the attack when someone says they love their KJV BIble....it's like they almost cannot WAIT to lambast that person with their reasons why that person is antiquated in thought and backwards in theology.

Why does it bother anyone that I love the Bible I grew up with and was saved from?

3. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Love and use the KJV. It's a great translation. Just because I love and use another one doesn't mean you shouldn't love and use the KJV.

4. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do love it and use it....honest!! :smilewinkgrin:

5. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

It seems you are missing a letter, dcorbett, and it is the letter O, for Only.

There may possibly be a member or two on the BB who really do attack the 1611 translation and those who use it, but I cannot think of one. Indeed, there are plenty who continue to take trouble to emphasise that they believe that the KJV is a good translation.

On this thread alone, JesusFriend wrote: "NO ONE here has EVER said that the KJV was not a good bible version though!" Robycop3 said: "The KJV is not "The" Bible...it's a valid English translation of the Bible." I myself wrote: "no one on the Baptist Board would contend either that the KJV is not the bible.....". Jbh28 said: "Love and use the KJV. It's a great translation."

But many people have written against the KJVO ("King James Version Only") movement. KJVO is not just saying as you do, "I don't need any other translation." At least, that is at most KJVOnlyism in a very mild form - Number 1 in Dr Bob's sticky, which says:
    This group believes the KJV is the best single English translation available today.
    What is generally understood by KJVO is Group 4 in the sticky:
    This group, by far the majority of the KJVonly, believe that the KJV itself, as an English translation, is inspired and therefore inerrant. A person who would dare to defend or even use another translation of the Bible are rejecting the "true" and "real" Bible, the only Word of God."

6. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I have never, in almost eight years of posting here, been crticised for my love of the King James Version. I have never been accused of being antiquated in thought or backward in theology for loving the KJV.

7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

You will in Germany though

8. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

German-speaking people who insist on using the English KJV rather than a German translation of the bible? :confused:

9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

It's a trick statement. American missionaries starting churches near US military bases :)

10. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The cold, hard fact is that the doctrine that sez "The KJV is the ONLY valid English Bible translation out there" is simply NOT TRUE! Nothing any KJVO can say or do will make it true. They are constantly gluing "feathers" of excuses on the KJVO "hippo", hoping to get it to fly. However, it remains "landbound" and just-as false as it was from the gitgo.

If I believe, in a given situation, that the KJV is the best version to use, I use the KJV. If I believe the NASV is, I use the NASV. Etc. etc.

One can use the KJV alone, if one chooses, without wearing that dead, stinky bird of the KJVO doctrine around one's neck.

11. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Sorry - Isn't it frustrating when you make a joke and someone (in this case me!) asks you to explain it. :rolleyes:

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    C4K means that KJVOism is found in Germany because Americans started KJVO churches near US military bases. It's the same thing in South Korea. There's a KJVO church close Yongsan Army Base.

C4K put in a smiley-face but it wasn't actually a joke.

13. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Nope - how could you know. I am a Yank orignally and I didn't know it till I was in Germany last week visiting family stationed at a US base :)

14. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

My bad - I should have written "trick".

15. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Who lambasted you on this thread- pray tell?

16. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Thought that the BB NEVER had a problem with those who are KJV preferred, its just the KJVO who see it as being either ONLY english ver or else ONLY word of God today that we here have "problems" with!

17. NaasPreacher (C4K)

If someone is lambasted simply for loving the KJV please use the 'report post' button and I promise you it will be dealt with, severely. I have missed those posts.

#37 NaasPreacher (C4K), Aug 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2011
  18. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Debbie no one here has been lambasted for loving the KJV. Show us the threads where this has happened. Why do you keep bringing up this dead issue? I don't think there is anyone here who has a problem with anyone who loves their KJV to the point of using it exclusively. The contention comes with those who demand that it is the only legitimate English Bible and that all the others are counterfeits and evil. That's not love. It's fanaticism for a false doctrine.

19. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Honestly, there has been NO One doing that here on BB..

Its just that whenever One objects to views of the "KJVO" postion, advocates take it being an attack on the KJV itself!

Think ALL here would see NO problem if KJV perferred is held, just take exection to KJVO!

20. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

The only problem I have with the use of the KJV is that it will only become more outdated in it's language in the years to come. However that does not make it bad anymore than Greek manuscripts are bad. It merely means that the common American does not understand a lot of words that are in the KJV or the way those words are used.

I use the NKJV to teach memory verses to my daughter because it is the most like the KJV that I grew up with but it is still in modern English that she can better understand. At church we use the ESV and the NIV so I use those two as well.

I can honestly say that I use the NKJV, ESV and NASB and I can start in one, move to another and finish with a third and I never feel as if I am not reading the same book.