1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured When Did YOU Receive the Holy Spirit?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Yeshua1, May 8, 2012.

1. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You are simply wrong! The Holy Spirit indwells all believers immediately at regeneration conversion or they are "none of his" (Rom. 8:8-9).

You are wrong again. In context, these passages refer only to those who are already Spirit indwelt believers and thus the Word of God is the Sword of the Spirit and it is the indwelling Spirit that enlightens them by the Word. The overall context of scripture clearly teaches that the Word of God is "spiritually discerned" and the lost person is without that ability (1 Cor. 2:14).

Wrong again! This is where overall context must be considered in interpretation of a text. 1 Thessalonians 1:4-5 demonstrates that the gospel can and often does come to many in "word only" but in regard to salvation it never comes in "word only" but in "power and in the Holy Spirit."

You simply are ignorant of the New Covenant elements of genuine salvation which are spelled out for you in Ezek. 36:26-27 and in 2 Cor. 3:3-6 where the Holy Spirit is ALWAYS actively involved in EVERY salvation under the New Covenant or it is not a New Covenatn salvation at all.

Here is your real problem, you simply are completely ignorant of the New Covenant in regard to salvation just as Nicodemus was ignorant of it (Jn. 3:3-9). There is no such thing as salvation under the blood of the EVERLASTING covenant apart from the work of the Holy Spirit within His covenant people.

Wrong again! You cannot legitimately pit silence in examples against precepts of Scripture that are not silent. The "gift of the Holy Spirit" is immediately referenced again to the prophecy of Joel first quoted to explain the gift of tongues and other spiritual gifts which had nothing to do with New Covenant salvation.

Wrong again! What they received was that VISIBLE expression of spiritual gifts which came through the laying on of apostolic hands (Rom. 1:11; 2 Tim. 1:8; Acts 19:6; etc.) which Simon could see the results and wanted to purchase the power so that "on whomsoever I lay hands," they could receive such manifestations of the Spirit.

Again, it is not the indwelling Spirit that was conveyed but the spiritual gifts of speaking in tongues, propheshing and the like.

2. TrevorL

TrevorL Member

Greetings again The Biblicist,
    I am willing to leave the discussion here, remaining unconvinced that we need a direct application of the Holy Spirit or the Spirit to believe the gospel.

Kind regards
    Trevor

3. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

I recieved the indwelling Holy Spirit of God in February of 83 when I placed my faith in Christ and was placed permanently into His body...the universal church

After a while I was drawn into my 1st local church body.

#83 Alive in Christ, May 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2012