1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

When someone asks you to pray -

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by TexasSky, May 11, 2005.

1. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

When someone asks you to pray about something - what do you do or say?

Prayer is kind of a major-thing for me. I think its one of the greatest gifts God gave us, so I tend to "observe" other people in regards to prayer.

I often hear people ask for prayer requests, who are told, "Oh, yes, I'll pray for you," but you end up wondering if the person making the promise really does say the prayer? I like the ones who go, "Yes! Let's ask God now!"

I also noticed that people sometimes have a nasty habit of refusing to pray for things. I don't mean people saying, "I can't pray that God does it your way, but I will pray that God helps you accept His will, whatever His will is." THAT I can understand. I mean, people who flat out say, "No, I won't pray for that." I was shocked the first time I encountered that. It was a prayer for healing, and some people reacted with responses like, "If you pray for healing, and God says no, then you might lose your faith, so just pray that His will be done." Well, no. Ask God for what you want from Him. If He says no, He says no, but ASK.

I've seen this quite often when young couples ask for prayers about relationships that are rocky. They ask people to pray that the relationship works out, and some well meaning soul says, "No. I don't think you need to be with that person!" In cases like that, what I say is, "I'll talk to God about what you want, but I'm going to ask Him to help you accept what He wants." And then I do that, usually with something like, "Heavenly Father, Jane loves Jim, and is truly afraid of losing him. If it is possible in your will, please let them work through this problem together. If it is not possible for them to be together, Lord, then please prepare their hearts so that the parting is not so painful."

I also tend to pray about the little things. I've had people say, "You shouldn't bother God with that!" Yet, at a time when I felt the MOST down in my spiritual life, the time I most needed to know that God was still watching out for me despite how it might appear on the surface, praying for a set of lost car keys and finding them immediately in a place I had already looked 16 times - is what convinced me that no matter how bad it looks, God IS still in His heaven, and He IS still looking and watching and love, and He DOES care more than anyone on earth could care.

So - how about you? Are there times you promise to pray and don't? Times you refuse to pray? Times you've asked for prayer and been ignored?

Another thing that bothers me.
    I notice that in "group" meetings, when people ask for prayer for say - their big toe to stop hurting - everyone remembers to pray for the toe. But when they ask for prayer for a lost friend or loved one - people often forget to pray that prayer. Why?

A P.S., I overheard my son and a friend talking once. The friend said, "How do you know that there is a God?" My son replied, "Because whenever I pray he answers. He's always finding stuff Mom and I lose."

2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have to admit that in my early years I made a lot of promises and in my stressed busy life failed to follow through till some kind saint brought the point to my attention, much as you just did in your post, and I made it a point that from then on if someone asked for prayer, the first thing I would do is consciously think about whether I wanted to commit to do so. Then if I said I would, as I walked away I prayed immediately so that it was in my mind.

You bring up a real problem in the church, in my mind anyway.

3. Ady

Ady New Member

I agree with your observations. Sadly, another problem with prayer, both in churches and with individuals, is not praying for God's will, but basically saying, "Here I go God, please bless me!" and never asking for His view.

Imagine if you were college age, with caring parents supporting you, and instead of consulting them about any decision, you say "I'm doing this because I think I know what's best, so give me money so I can, please." An imperfect example, but aren't we doing just that to our Heavenly Father?

Of course, we often do it unconsciously, simply because we think we know how to pray without God's guidance. That's our own desire of laziness showing itself.

4. mountainrun

mountainrun New Member

Yes. Yes. Yes.

I have exactly the same concerns as you. Exactly.

MR