1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

When Synergists and Catholics sound alike

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Dale-c, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have said that "I don't go by what Calvinists say. I go by what the Bible says..." You act as if Calvinists do not use the Bible as their authority.It's as if you think that the beliefs of Calvinists are based on extra-biblical documents. It's as if you think they have another Canon of Holy Writ. Those beliefs of yours are terribly wrong and insulting Marcia.

There are those on the BB who claim to be "Biblicists". They claim that they are neither Arminian nor Calvinistic -- they go by the Bible alone for their authority. I say "Bunk!".There are non-Calvinists here who believe that the Scriptures are their authority. There are Calvinists here who certainly believe that the Bible is their authority.

One doesn't go to Heaven based on a Calvinist litmus test.And one doesn't go to Heaven based on a Non-Calvinist litmus test.

The BB is a place where Christian folks from both perspectives hash things out and use the Scriptures to support their beliefs. Then they are challenged by the people on the other side of the aisle.

I certainly think that a non-Cal view on some theological matters may be using Scripture wrongly.I also think that sometimes they let sentiment or philosophy dominate instead of Holy Writ.

Non-Cals charge Calvinists of using logic determine truth instead of Scripture. They accuse us of being Fatalists -- that God in our system is just a Puppet-Master etc.

You get the idea.It's not a matter of one side using the Bible and the other side does not. Both sides believe that the other uses the Bible with suspect interpretation.

That's where hashing it all out comes into play.It's called debate. Sometimes it gets out-of-hand and the Mods have to step in.

Do you understand my take on this now Marcia?

2. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I find it interesting that no one has dealt with the OP. that is that the catholic in the video used a similar argument against calvinism that many baptists do.
    Of course it was not totally the same, but it was similar.

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Catholics also use many arguments Baptist use in refuting Mormonism and Oneness. What is the point?

4. JDale

JDale Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How about this take on the OP Dale-c:

(1) Catholics are like broken clocks -- right at least twice a day!

(2) Catholics know a good argument when they hear one! They've merely borrowed and adapted it!

[​IMG]

JDale

5. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Your post is an example of what I was talking about. I never implied that Calvinists don't use the Bible as their authority - I am merely saying they can be wrong. A lot of people use the bible to back up their views - that doesn't mean they are right.

I certainly agree with that! But I've seen and heard Calvinists call non-Calvinists names that the non-C does not accept.

I don't see this. I am very big on using reason and logic. In fact, I have studied apologetics and strongly believe all Christians should know some apologetics. I think it's practiced in the Bible.

I certainly don't make that charge. And not all non-Cs do.

I never said it was!!!

Pefectly. Do you understand mine? I have no hard feelings about it - just want to challenge some things.

#25 Marcia, Jul 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2008