1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Where Are All the Young Leaders in the SBC?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by gb93433, May 5, 2008.

1. donnA

donnA Active Member

Didn't see anything in the bible about social reform, just heart reform.:jesus:

2. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

I suppose we need a definition of social reform don't we to have an intelligent discussion.

Christianity, ie the Bible calls for Social involvement, Feed the hungry, clothe the naked, visit the imprisoned (Matt 25)

A program in a church to reach out to the community's needy is certainly not un-Biblical.

Exactly what do you mean by social reform?

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

". . . for the one who doubts is like the surf of the sea, driven and tossed by the wind."

I hope that your preaching has more substance then doubts.

Have you ever read Dilday's book on Inerrancy?

I do agree with what Dilday wrote but do not agre with him on everything. If you had read the book you would know how solid it is.

This issue has absolutely nothing to do with Dilday. It has everything to do with the serious lack of integrity of the trustees and the extravagance of the president of SWBTS. Every president who preceded Patterson did not ever have a request for an addition. Since Naylor not one of them had ever complained. The enrollment was the highest during Dilday. Some of the former presidents raised a family in that home too.

Would have the audacity to ask for more money for the seminary and then at the same time have an addition built onto the president's home if you were the president? Do you have a conscience that would allow you to pay the professors so little and then allow anyone to add an addition onto the home which nearly doubled it in size. Then at the same time tell others that the seminary is in need of more money.

Is your argument about building a present day tower of babel to do architectural evangelism and discipleship or about what will last for eternity?

Are you in the business of helping leaders to fall through extravagant living or are you here to help them stay close to Christ?

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Read the entire book of James and then explain how a believer can ignore the needs of people.

5. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Did you see that? A perfect example of why so many of my peers refuse to be involved in the SBC just happened.

Notice how someone disagreed about the leadership of Dr. Russell Dilday and instead of engaging in an actual dialogue they threw out several incendiaries like "well he's not an inerrantist" (even though he has written books and monographs about it) or "just another liberal" (even though he has never denied issues like divinity of Christ, virgin birth, authority of the Bible, etc which would align him conservatively) or some other insult.

That is a perfect of example of why my friends are walking away from the convention, putting their hands to the plows, and not turning back. :)

6. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I have it on my shelf. And it is about as solid as a straw. Maybe you should read "The Battle for the Bible" by Harold Lindsell. Errancy destroys what ever it touches.

Your assertion of extravagant living has been proven false.

#66 Revmitchell, May 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2008
  7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

When you fail to hold to inerrancy you deny the authority of the Bible. And cannot be a conservative.

8. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Yes....the goal of life.

9. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

I spoke about the case at SEBTS because I do know the specifics. I was a student here while the addition was under construction. Then I worked for SEBTS Facilities Management after the construction was complete. I don't know the specifics at SWBTS. However, I assume the circumstances are the same at both institutions.

SWBTS is the best financially endowed seminary of the six SBC institutions. Likewise, oil has been discovered on the SWBTS property and the institution is all set to receive multi-millions from the oil company developing the resource. I don't think that SWBTS is hurting for finances in any way.

What does this have to do with size of the President's home at SWBTS or elsewhere?

Again, what does this story have to do with the size of the President's home at SWBTS or elsewhere? Are you suggestion that because the Pattersons live in a large borrowed house that they will end up not being involved in ministry and divorced?

Again, what does this have to do with the size of the Presidents home at SWBTS or elsewhere? The house does not belong to the current President and does not figure into the amount of wealth, or lack thereof, possessed by the Pattersons.

Also, while the addition to the President's house may have caused the size to increase to a total of 7,500 sq. ft. the Pattersons actually only "live" in the square footage of the addition. At least that is the way it was in Magnolia Hill here at SEBTS. They lived in a one bedroom apartment that had a small living room and a combined kitchen/dinning room area. The rest of the house was used by their children, grandchildren, and other guests (when they were in town). The main dinning room in the original part of the house was used to host guest chapel speakers and other visitors to lunch about two or three times per week. Like I said before due to Mrs. Patterson’s health problems they only "lived" in the single floor apartment area of the addition.

You keep painting pictures which would suggest that the Pattersons ministry ought to be called into question based on the size of the borrowed house in which they live. However, I can tell you that I have been a student and on staff under three different seminary Presidents and Dr. Patterson is the only one that I can recall who rolled up his sleeves and went with me and other students/staff to go door-to-door witnessing in the community. You are entitled to your opinion of Dr. Patterson's ministry. However, having worked side by side with him doing evangelism in some really rough neighborhoods you'll not change my opinion of the man or his ministry just because he lives in a big borrowed house.

#69 Bible-boy, May 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2008