1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Where could I serve?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by StefanM, Aug 17, 2016.

1. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm far from being above reproach, and, although it's related to my illness, I'm not a "one-woman man."

2. Jordan Kurecki

Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think the problem with Many is that simply they're not equipped to do it I remember praying a few years back that God would help me to be a soul winner and by the grace of God I've been able to see somewhere around 20 people make professions of faith in the last five years. I actually developed a course in evangelism for people who want to get better at sharing the gospel. If you send me a private message with your email I will send you the audio files and other files along with it for free

3. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not being nosy, just seeking clarification, are you saying you are divorced and remarried? If so, then you are a 'one woman man'. Unless you are married to the 'Sister Wives'. :) :D ;) :Whistling

4. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know it's not your local church, but GotQuestions.org could always use people to answer bible questions.

If you go to their home page, there's and click "serve with us"

It's really a cool opportunity for someone who feels disconnected

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, it's a different kind of failure to meet that standard. I've only been married once, and I'm still married.

Regardless, I don't believe anyone with my kind of bipolar disorder belongs in a position of responsibility in ministry. I don't need to get into a position of being delusional while serving in leadership, nor does the church need any instability. I've done things in mania that dishonored God, and I wouldn't want to also dishonor his church in the process. It would set a bad example, even if I'm not fully in control of my actions (delusions, hallucinations, etc.).

6. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Taught a senior Sunday School class once and had challenged them to get involved in the church. One asked what they could do. I told them probably nothing as old and decrepit as they were as I grinned and covered my head to avoid incoming shoes, purses etc. I turned to the chalk board and asked them what they thought they could do. They literally filled the board (6 footer) with things that they could do.

You know what you can do, or if you don't ask your pastor.

After reading some of your posting I'd suggest you consider a blog or website to use your knowledge of politics or ????

7. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've reached out to one of the pastors at my church, and he referred me to our discipleship pastor, who handles this sort of thing. I'm waiting to hear from him.

I appreciate your kind words about my posts.

8. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Being an usher is an important job that would let you serve with your boundaries. We are starting a prayer ministry here where there may be one or two who are in the prayer room listening to the service but praying for it all the while. Cleaning any thing or area is quite important. I commend you on not using your boundaries as an excuse to do nothing. Good job!;)

• Like Like x 1
  9. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The last quote to one of the pastors in my email was that "no service is too menial." I'm really quite open.

We don't really have ushers at my church, but we do have people who greet in the parking lot. That could be an option.

I really do want to serve. It will honor God and will also help me with my own mental illness. Having something to be engaged in doing outside of work is therapeutic.

But my reason is because I feel led to be more involved, not my illness.

10. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good for you. In all honesty I would not put you as a greeter. Greeters need to be relied on to do what they do and you may have some days where that is not possible. I am sure your leadership will get you going soon. Just tell them to point you to a scrub brush and a toilet and they will be glad to have you help.

11. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I actually had some concerns myself about the greeter thing, but I didn't want to close a door out of fear. Now that I've heard your counsel, I think it's more of a legitimate concern than just a fear. I'll mention this concern if the pastor names it as an option.

Thanks for your wise input!

• Like Like x 1