1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Where do Calvinists make their errors?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Skandelon, Jan 26, 2004.

1. russell55

russell55 New Member

Why would you think it was the gentile nation, when in the very next sentence, part of the very same paragraph, Paul writes, "So then BROTHERS....."

If the "you" in verse 14 is "brothers", then the "you" in verse 13 is brothers.

There is good warrant in the context to think verse 13 applies to believers. "Brothers" doesn't have to be read into the passage. "Gentile nation" does. Methinks it is you whose bias is showing.

2. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

How can you say that so assuredly? When a man says to a church made up of Gentiles how do you know he is not refering to God choosing to save Gentiles from the very beginning? There is no way for you to know that for certain and the very fact that you are not even willing to admit its possible proves your lack of objectivity in this debate. You are a hardened Calvinists [​IMG]

Which is ok. Just no fun to discuss theology with. I like to speak with open minded objective thinkers who are willing to deal with people's views that are different than their own in an honest manner. No offense intended.

Your correct. The Gentiles, as a nation, were chosen from eternity past, but this "mystery" was just being revealed through Paul, the apostle to the Gentiles and Peter as he recieved his dream in Acts. Look up "mystery" and you will see that it is directly connected to the idea of the Gentiles being included in this covenant of grace.

Yes, I know that the previous verses are dealing with end times but as I said it was speaking about those being "hardened" or sent a "delusion." If you read the passage you will see that the ones deluded are those who refuse the truth.

It says, "And for this reason God will send them strong delusion, that they should believe the lie,  that they all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness. "

So the contrast is those who refuse the truth who God then deludes and those who believe. Notice that God doesn't delude them until that make that choice.

There is no more support for your interpretation either. It could be taken either way depending upon your presuppositions.

My interpretation makes better since within the context of that day. Arminianism verses Calvinism debates were not the issue. The issue was the "mystery" being revealed that God was now ingrafting the Gentile nation and Paul was fighting this battle daily, so for him to point out the Gentiles election would fit much better than for him to be refering to them each one individually to the neglect of everyone else.

What??!?? The same audience as John 6 is spoken about just a few chapters later by the same author who clearly tells us exactly why they couldn't believe and you don't think its "supportable from the text." You really are unwilling to look outside you little box aren't you. :(

Its so ironic because I was thinking the same thing about your responses. You have no more textual support for your assumtions yet you dismiss mine simply because they disagree with you.

Its all perspective. Try looking at it from another perspective just once. Who knows you might learn something. It might make you even stronger in your own belief.

3. Skandelon

This actually only supports what I am saying. You can refer to a specific group of Christians as "brothers" and not be refering to them as individuals. For example, if I were writing a church body who had been selected by the national board to sing at their annual meeting I might say, Brothers, I thank God that you all were chosen to participate in this years annual meeting." Would that imply that every person who went to that church were individually chosen by this board to come and sing? No, its speaking in general about their group. So too, Paul is simply saying, Fellow Gentile brothers, I thank God that he has chosen you.

Calling them brothers in no way nullifies the possiblity of this interpretation, if anything it strenghtens it because it focuses on them as an entire group instead of as individuals being individually chosen out one by one. They were chosen as a nation to be saved THROUGH THE BELIEVE IN TRUTH. Through OUR gospel. Who is OUR? "Our" is in contract to "them." Our being Jewish apostles and them being Gentile believers. It makes perfect since if your willing to view it from another perspective.

4. Skandelon

Can you be more specific. I don't see anything here that supports your views.

5. russell55

russell55 New Member

Brothers refers to the group of believers in the church at Thessalonica. A group made up of individuals. Although the church would be primarily Gentile, wouldn't there have been a few Jewish people among the brethern?

How does Paul know the brethern in Thessolonica are elect?

;...knowing, beloved brethern, His choice of you, because our gospel did not come to you in word only, but also in power and in the Holy Spirit and with full conviction.
    He knew they were elect because the words of the gospel were joined with the convicting power of the Holy Spirit ensuring that the words would be accepted as the word of God. It was the success of the gospel in these brethern that proves their election from the beginning.

If they were chosen (or elect) as a nation, why wasn't the gospel always successful among the gentiles? If the whole nation is elect, then the whole nation should receive the gospel as the words of God, the gospel should come in power and in the Holy Spirit and in full conviction to everyone in the nation.

But where in either book of Thessalonians does it say any of this?

It doesn't matter if you think it makes sense if you have to read it into the text rather than conclude it from the text. It's the words of the text that ought to tell you what things mean. Where does the text tell of Thessalonians tell you that the elect in these books refers to the gentile nation? Otherwise what you've got is just a bunch of speculation without any textual evidence.

Here's what we can learn FROM THE TEXT of Thessolonians about the elect:

-If someone receives the gospel as more than just a bunch of words, but as true convicting words from God through the work of the Holy Spirit, then that is proof that God has chosen them.

-Election (or God's choosing) is from the beginning.

-Election is for salvation. The elect are chosen to be saved.

-The means by which the elect are saved is sanctification by the Spirit and faith in the truth.

-It is for this salvation through the work of the Spirit and faith that the elect are called through the gospel.

I see nothing here that is evidence that Paul is using the words "elect" or "chosen" to refer to anyone who does not come to faith. Can you show me what you are seeing that I am not? FROM THE TEXT.

6. russell55

russell55 New Member

Can you be more specific. I don't see anything here that supports your views. </font>[/QUOTE]How about the text saying that it is to those who are called, from both the Jews and the Gentiles, that Christ becomes the power and wisdom of God? (v 24)

How about the that the text equates God's calling (the calling that turns the gospel from foolishness to power and wisdom from God) with God's choosing. (26, 27)

How about the text saying that it is by God's doing (or "out of" or "because of" God) that people are in Christ Jesus, and its being in Christ Jesus that makes Christ wisdom and justification and sanctification and redemption? (30)

The text parallels these three things:

</font>
    • God's call</font>
    • God's choosing</font>
    • God's doing</font>
    And it is the call, the choice, the work of God that turns the gospel from foolishness to wisdom of Christ. It is the call, the choice, the work of God that makes the gospel successful for those called, those chosen, those who by God's doing are in Christ Jesus (out of both Jews and Gentiles), while it remains foolishness for all the others--both Jews and Gentiles.

7. Skandelon

Yes, but Paul, the apostle to the Gentiles, often addresses them specifically seperating himself from them using the pronoun "US" and "OUR" versus "YOU and "THEM." This is more clearly seen in Eph 1. The gospel comes to the Gentiles through the Jews.

The same question could be asked in this way, "How does Paul know the Gentiles are chosen to be God's people?"

The same answers work for both of these questions.

The Jews were elect as a nation but not everyone who was a Jew was elect. The question is what are they chosen for? Israel was chosen to be the linage of the Christ and the bearers of His message. Jacob was chosen for that nobel purpose, Esau, a Jew, was not. He can use one Jew for a nobel purpose and the other for a common use, that is His perogative.

As I pointed out earlier Paul refers to the gospel as "our gospel" just as he does in Eph 1 when he switches pronouns to speak about the Gentiles.

You've got to remember in that day everyone saw it as US and THEM. It was worse than the civil rights movement in the 60s. The Jews just didn't associate with dirty Gents and Gentiles didn't care for the Jews. This was a huge deal for them all.

Context. You have to know the audience, the author and the situation they are in. In the same way when Calvinists are confronted with statements like "the whole world" you all speculate that he must mean "people of every tribe" or "both Jews and Gentiles." Same principle. I'm just showing that these verses can be understood in more than one way. To you it looks like I am "reading into the text" because you are looking at it from your perspective. But in the same way there are several difficult verses for Calvinists that really look as if your reading into the text as well. I just don't think this is really much of a stretch considering the context of the Jew/Gentile debate and the revealation of the "mystery" of ingrafting the Gentiles.

Or its proof that God has chosen for them to hear it so they can believe. You've got to remember that up to this point the message wasn't being taken to the Gentiles. The fact that the message was now being preached to all the world, not just Jews, was being met by great opposition. Paul could be emphasizing that the Gentiles reception to the gospel is proof of God's willingness to adopt them into the covenant as well. This is big news. Many disagreed and didn't think that God wanted the Gentiles in. Paul was saying, look at their faith and the way in which the Word changed them, how can it be that God hasn't chosen them, look at the fruit!

Absolutely, this is not some new plan. This has been God's plan all along. Paul wants to emphasis this in order to give his ministry to the Gentiles crediablity as not some new thing that he came up with. This is God plan from the beginning. He chose to grant repentance even to the Gentiles. No way, dirty Gents! Yep, them too.

That is right. They are granted entrance into the kingdom if you will but they cannot enter apart from faith. God chose to save them but they must believe for the covenant to be complete.

Amen.

That is because he is only addressing those who have come to faith.

If I selected 20 men to serve in a special armed forces to go serve in Iraq and 10 men showed up for training day and I said to them, "You men were chosen because you are most qualified soilders to carry out this mission." Would that mean that I really didn't chose the other 10 that didn't show up? Of course not. I'm not addressing them. Jesus often refers to his desire to bring people to himself and their rejecting him. He may not refer to them with the specific terms but the essence is the same because he desires to save them, does he not?

8. Skandelon

First, I'd like to say, I've enjoyed our discourse. You seem to be a very reasonable person who reads the word. I appreciate the demeanor in which you have handled yourself.

I will say that I read these verses that you bring up and I couldn't even understand how you saw them as supporting Calvinism. Why? Because I don't look that the text through that glass. I look at it through my glass. In order to understand why you even picked out these verses I had to leave my glass and try and step behind yours and see it as you do. I must admit I had to read it several times before it finally dawned on me what you must be seeing. Now its my goal to try and explain to you the way I see it when I look through my glass.

I admit, one of our glasses is wrong, but before we can determine that I think we must recongize and at least understand what the other one sees when they read the same verse. So bear with me and really try to see it the way that I do. Thanks

Look just before that verse where it says,"For since, in the wisdom of God, the world through wisdom did not know God, it pleased God through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe.

He doesn't say to save those he chose so that they will believe. Belief, or acceptance of that message's call is apart of this process. Even Calvinist believe that.

Does everyone who is called to salvation come? Of course not. Just like everyone who hears the message doesn't believe it. Why? You think its because God didn't Irresistably or effectually call them and I think its because they by their own will just refused the call of gospel.

This verse says to you that those God called (who God elected) come to know Christ as the power and wisdom of God. It says to me that those God called (who believe and response to that call) come to know Christ as the power and wisdom of God. Both of us have our glass to look through.

If I can use the same analogy of the soldier. I call 20 of them to come to training and only 10 show up. After the war I am talking about them and I say: For democrates the war was a waist of human life, for independants it was a costly struggle, but for those I called, both democrates and independants, it was a lifechanging event. Does this imply that I only called the 10? Of course not. They are refered to as being called because they accepted that calling. By virtue of the fact they received the calling they might be refered to as the ones called, but that doesn't mean others weren't called as well. A call is completed when it is answered and its the answer that is merely implied here in this text.

One might refer to ministers as being called to their profession. Should that imply that only those who are in the ministry were called there? I don't think so. Many could be resisting that calling and running like Jonah. Reference to those who accept a call as being called in no way proves that others weren't also called to the same thing.

And the following verses which speak of their calling it seems that Paul is emphasizing the type of people who accept the calling. Not wise = humble etc.

Otherwise you would have to believe that God has not willed to save wise or noble people and that's just not true. The point being made is that no who sees himself as being wise and his calling to Christ as being noble will be saved. No one is really wise, noble and all of these things mentioned, they are only self-perceptions of those who have refused to believe the message truth.

9. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

How can you say that so assuredly? </font>[/QUOTE]Because of the words Paul used in the context in which he used them. "Reader reconstruction" is an inadequate theory of hermeneutics. Paul gets to decide what his words mean and he used words that would communicate that. There is nothing there about "revealing the truth." It is about being saved.

And it is not about being hardened. When someone says 2+2=4 and refuses any other possibility, we do not call that person hardened. I can admit a lot of other possibilities on issues. But all possibilities must deal adequately and accurately with the text from which those possibilities are supported. This one does not.

I think that is what he means, but the context is about individuals being chosen, not some generic choice.

I am well aware of the "mystery" which is why I am not a covenant theologian. I am also well aware that this verse says nothing about a mystery and in fact election is not connected to the mystery here. Paul is speaking to individuals about God's choosing them.

I know ...

I don't disagree but that is not the issue. Those chosen were chosen from the beginning, long before they ever believed anything.

But those presuppositions must be solidly rooted in the text. My interpretation meets that standard.

YOu are right that CvA was not the issue. All the apostles, based on what they wrote, agreed with us on that issue. But the mystery is not at issue in 1 and 2 Thessalonians. That is completely out of keeping with sound interpretation. The Gentiles as a nation were not elect.

I went down this road years ago. I have seen the arguments for your position and I am unconvinced by them. They simply do not deal with the text sufficiently for me.

But this is incorrect. I do have textual support for my beliefs. They are supported from the text rightly used. I don't have to jump through hoops and change meanings to make it work, and that is why I believe it. It really doesn't matter than you disagree with me. What matters is that you seem to too easily dismiss what Paul wrote and to whom he wrote it in order to say that it doesn't really mean what it says. I simply cannot reconcile that in my conscience.

Trust me, I have looked at this from all kinds of perspectives and every time I come in here my belief is strengthened because I see the things that are necessary to do to Scripture to deny it. I don't mean that to be offensive. If you, in your conscience, can justify your position, then have at it. I simply cannot go down that road.

10. Ian Major

Ian Major New Member

Skandelon wrote: ' And the following verses which speak of their calling it seems that Paul is emphasizing the type of people who accept the calling. Not wise = humble etc.
    Otherwise you would have to believe that God has not willed to save wise or noble people and that's just not true. The point being made is that no who sees himself as being wise and his calling to Christ as being noble will be saved. No one is really wise, noble and all of these things mentioned, they are only self-perceptions of those who have refused to believe the message truth.'

I'm amazed at your exegesis.

The text says nothing about 'self-perceptions' - it says everything about God's perceptions. It says God chose that the great majority of those to be saved would be of the foolish/ignoble sort, so that no flesh should glory in His presence. If man had the ultimate veto on his salvation, then God would have had to put up with whatever ratio of wise/foolish that threw up.

You say that would mean that 'God has not willed to save wise or noble people and that's just not true.' You're half-right: God has not willed to save MANY wise or noble people. If the text had said ANY, then your argument for self-perception would have had some weight. But MANY means that some of those who will enjoy eternity in His presence are of the wise/noble of this world. It cannot mean those who are wise/noble in their own eyes.

These verses are fatal to Arminian understanding of election. It is worth posting in full for us all to read again:

1corinthians 1:26-29, 'For you see your calling, brethren, that not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called. But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty; and the base things of the world and the things which are despised God has chosen, and the things which are not, to bring to nothing the things that are, that no flesh should glory in His presence.'

In Him

Ian

11. John Owen

John Owen New Member

skandelon, I find the following insulting and arrogant:

"I am quite sure that people who have all the facts wouldn't be "dragged kicking and screaming" to Calvinism (as is the testimony of many Calvinists) if they indeed had all the information necessary to adopt a correct soteriology."

This is to say that the many many highly proficient biblical scholars throughout history who happen to be Calvinists are not in possession of "all the facts", yet, somehow you are. I find that to be so fantastic a statement, so arrogant, that not only cannot I not believe it, I can’t believe that you do! Apparenly men like Spurgeon, Murray, Pink, Sproul, Packer, Piper, Lloyd Jones, Robert Dick Wilson, Machen, Warfield, Schaeffer, Horton, Boice, Helm, Ferguson, Jonathan Edwards, John Owen, John Gerstner, Turretin, Dabney, etc etc (before whom, I have no doubt but that your biblical knowledge pales in comparison) are or were, sadly, not in possession of all the facts, they are not in the privilidged position that you are. Would you be so kind as to list and itemize what “the facts” are which are needed to adopt a correct (ie one in agreement with you) soteriology? And please show, since you are certain that Calvinists manifestly do not possess these facts that you are privy to, could you show a statement from the Calvinists you deem ignorant proving that they are not in possession of the coveted facts which you possess?

12. Skandelon

John,

You seem angry. I'm sorry if I have offended you by implying that I disagree with the Calvinistic premise while debating on a Calvinism/Arminian debate board. I thought we were supposed to voice our disagreements. Isn't that the point of this board?

If the manner in which I chose to disagree seemed "arrogant" to you. I apologize. That is not my intent. The written word can often be percieved in a different spirit than which it is sent. Please forgive me.

I could list dozens men who are "Arminian" in their soteriology to counter your argument but I would really rather stick to the issues. I could also list my credentials to somehow try and validate my scholarship to you in order to rebuke your attack, but again I don't feel that serves our purpose here. Please just accept my apology for whatever it was that I said that didn't sit well with you and let us deal with the issues at hand.

Thank you and God Bless.

13. russell55

russell55 New Member

Please show me from the context why us would mean anything more than Paul, Silas, and Timothy, and why you would mean anything other than the believers in Thess. You are reading your interpretation of who us and you are INTO the text. I'm a text person. I need to see it in the text.

I wrote:

You answered:
    Not unless you are reading INTO the text. Where is your warrent to change "brethren loved of God" to "Gentiles"? Paul is writing to specific people (a certain group of brethren) and you want to change it to have him addressing Gentiles in general. How can you do that? Where is your textual evidence.

And the text tells you how Paul knew they were elect. Because they believed. Believing is evidence of election.

Aaah...but the Jewish NATION was not chosen for salvation. But there was always remnant from among the Jewish nation that was faithful, and they were faithful because God chose them by his grace to be faithful. (Rom 11)

I wrote:
    I asked for evidence from either of the Thessalonian epistles. I don't even buy your Eph 1 explanation--there's no reason to think the us means anything more than the apostle, and the you means anything more than the Ephesian believers. But that's neither here nor there. You can't read what you think the pronouns mean in Ephesians into Thessalonians. Pronouns refer to people in the immediate context. Look in the immediate context for their referents.

Sometimes it was a problem. But show me from the context of Thessalonians that that is the problem addressed in these epistles.

No, I am saying you are reading into the text because you are making pronouns refer to people not mentioned in the context. That's called reading into the text.

I say you are reading into the text, because you say Paul is addressing a certain problem, but you haven't shown from the text that that is the problem Paul is addressing. You are bringing things from outside these epistles and putting them into it. Why do you think you can do that?
    You don't know whether I read into the text or not. I haven't read into the text here, have I? I am taking the pronouns as refering to their immediate antecedents, no more, no less. Isn't that the way its done, usually? Isn't that the rule of interpretation? You just don't like the implications of that, so you are searching elsewhere for other possibilities.

It doesn't matter whether it is much of a stretch. The problem is that you are stretching at all when who those pronouns are refering to is right there next to the pronouns themselves. Why complicate things when the simple answer is right there? Why are you searching at all for any other explanation for what us and you mean?

I wrote:
    You answered:

Do you realize how silly that sounds? Every single person who hears the gospel has the opportunity to believe. According to the text, what sets these people apart, what confirms them as "chosen", is that they embraced the gospel.

Please show me that this is the issue being addressed in either epistle to the Thessalonians.

I wrote:

But being granted entrance into the kingdom if they have faith is not SALVATION. It an OPPORTUNITY for salvation. Once again, you must add something to the text--the word "opportunity".

Please, I need to see the text. You have not given me any textual responses. You have repeated your theory over and over again, but you haven't shown me how you get that interpretation from this particular passage or its context. Your interpretation of any passage needs to come out of that passage. Show me from this passage and it's context--I'll be generous and let you call both epistles the "context."

14. russell55

russell55 New Member

Running out of time, cutting to the chase.

That isn't what the verse says to me....that's what the verse says--I even left out any mention of election. Let's just talk "call"! It says, and I quote, "to those who are the called ones...Christ is the power and wisdom of God."

See, there you go again, adding to the text. It doesn't say "who believe and respond to that call."

And my glasses seem to have clear lenses here and the plain text is seen . Your lense seems to have something on them that adds to what you see.

BTW, I see "coming to know Christ as the power and wisdom of God" as the same thing as faith. So as I see it, the text is saying that those who are called come to faith. To the called ones, the gospel results in faith. To all the others, it doesn't--they reject it as either foolishness (the Greeks) or offensive (the Jews).

And you'd be playing fast and loose with the truth. It wasn't a life changing event for those you called--it was a life changing event for those who responded to your call.

Well, yes it does. It implies that every single person that you called had their life changed because you called them.

I find this just goofy. (Sorry, lost my reasonableness.) We don't (at least I don't) say someone is called because the call is completed. Someone is called because they are called because they are called. And in this particular case, the text tells you that this was a call with power. A call that changes what seems insulting and stupid to everyone else into something wonderful.

Where does it say these are the type that are willing to accept it? All it says is that these are the types God is more likely to chose.

No, you have to believe that God has not chosen MANY wise or noble people--not none. That's what the text says. I accept it because it says it. I'm not going to read something into the text because what the words actually say make me uncomfortable.

15. Skandelon

Its contextual evidence that I'm presenting. Paul often writes as if to Jews or Gentiles throughout the NT.

I'm trying to think of a way to put you in Paul's shoes so that you can understand what he might be thinking. Let me try it with an analogy. Please bear with me:

Lets say that today most orthadox groups believed that African Americans (AAs) were mere property, as they were regretfully viewed at one time in our jaded history. You and I had been raised to believe that AAs were not loved by God at all. In our minds they were enemies of God. One day you get knocked down and blinded when walking to work. And God speaks to you directly calling you to take the message to AAs. You start several churches and become known as the apostle to AAs. People are stoning you and throwing you into prison for taking this message to those dirty unclean people. Even those in the church hate you for preaching to "those people." You spend most of your life in chains and being beat because you are taking the message to AAs. You are debating people you have grown up with and admire daily about the fact that God has chosen these people to know the truth too.

Now, your writing a letter to one of the AA churches that you started. You write, "Brothers, loved of God, I thank him daily for choosing you from the very beginning." You're not going to write, "African American brothers, loved of God..." Notice what might have been going through your mind when you wrote these words. You would be trying to reenforce the idea that they are supposed to be apart of the God's Kingdom because everyone around you is telling you and them that they are not. Doesn't it make sense for him to emphasis their being chosen by God to hear the message so that they can believe?

More than that, there belief is a confirmation that God has chosen for them to hear because if God had not chosen for them to hear He would have just blinded and hardened them as he had done to the Jews.

I know that is a rough analogy but I hope it gives you a glimpse of what it is I'm trying to say. I know it is difficult to see something differently when you are so used to reading it in one way. Its like those pictures that can be more than one thing. If you see one first, its hard to make you mind see the other. That can happen with the scripture too. I hope this helps you see it from my perspective, you don't have to agree, I just want you to see it.

As I pointed out earlier, believing could merely be evidence that God had chosen for them to hear it. If God didn't want them to hear it he could have hardened them like he did the Jews of that day. Do you see what I mean?

I agree. I was just pointing out that a nation as a whole can be elected to something without all of them being a part of that. I point that out because you asked something about why all Gentiles don't believe if they are elect. I don't believe the Gentiles are elected to be certainly saved. I believe they are chosen to recieve the message of repentance and faith, just as the Jews were first chosen to be the bearers of God's message before them.

"The gospel is the power of God unto salvation, first for the Jew then the Gentile."

Hopefully my analogy cleared this up, but if not I'll take one more stab. Pretend your the apostle to the AAs again. You and three other non-AAs have been discipling them and you write: "When you heard our message you believed it and followed our teaching." When you say OUR you may not be really referring to your race but it is understood by the nature of the relationship in the context of that day. "Our" refers to the teachers, who are not AAs. In Paul's day "our" would be in reference to the apostles who were very noticably Jewish, that's what was creating much of the tension in the church.

16. Skandelon

And you'd be playing fast and loose with the truth. It wasn't a life changing event for those you called--it was a life changing event for those who responded to your call. </font>[/QUOTE]The life changing event was not the point. The point was the words I used to describe those who had responded to my call. It was the same as Paul's usage and it makes sense. I know it kills you to concede anything, but you've got to see what I mean. What was wrong with my statement about those being called here? How does that not explain how you could call 20 and only refer to the 10 as being called?

I wrote:
    What? I called 20. Only the 10 who responded had their lives changed. It never implies that I called only those 10. Do you just not want to see that? Do you think that by even understanding my position that you would be giving up ground in this debate. I've had this discussion with numerous Calvinists in person and they have all at least seen what I mean, not all agree, but they acknowledge the possiblity at least.

Maybe I speak more clearly than I write????

[/qb] I bet you do and you don't even know it.

Have you ever referred to a minister being called? (I don't mean to salvation, but to a special ministry)

Does that infer that only the ministers who follow the calling into ministry were called there? No. We call them "called into ministry" because they have shown fruit of that calling in their lives.

Whoa, I thought Calvinists believed that God didn't chose certain people based upon anything good within them? Are you saying that humility is a key to getting picked for heaven? Please explain?

The fact is no one is wise or noble. There are only those who think of themselves as such. It is these who are blinded by their own pride that he is referring to.

17. John Owen

John Owen New Member

Skandelon, I am not angry. Rather, I am concerned, both about the claims that you make for yourself and those facts that you claim to know about others. Certainly we come here for discussion, and discussion is what we ought to be doing, not making accusations that we have no proof of. Instead, you made a serious accusation, namely that you were “quite sure that people who have all the facts wouldn't be "dragged kicking and screaming" to Calvinism (as is the testimony of many Calvinists) if they indeed had all the information necessary to adopt a correct soteriology." And once again, I ask for you to prove that what you say here in this quote is true. And I also ask you what exactly these facts are that you possess, that Calvinists apparently do not possess.

Of course you can list many Arminian or non-Calvinistic authors, as could I, but that would hardly counter my point. Why? Because I am not the one claiming to possess some fact or other that these other theologians do not have. You are the one claiming special knowledge for yourself. And nor are your credentials an issue here. What is at issue is your claim to know facts that Calvinists do not know, and further, I am looking for some kind of proof to sustain your claim that if only Calvinists knew these facts, they would not become Calvinists. That is what I am concerned with.

So this is what I am asking for, for the purpose of discussion:

1) What are “all the facts” that you have that Calvinists don’t have

And

2) How do you know that no Calvinist possess these facts, whatever they happen to be.

And I accept your apology; it was a very gracious thing for you to do. I too hope that I have not done anything to offend you, and if I have, please forgive me.

Blessings

18. Skandelon

I speak on this matter more from personal experience. I was a very staunch Calvinist for many years as I went through theological training in college and then seminary. Since I have come to understand the three points I laid out in my first post and I have spoken to many would be Calvinists who were just beginning on their journey into these contraversial doctrines. All six of them were soundly persuaded not to adopt the Calvinistic dogma. I believe had I been privy to these basic teachings concerning Judicial hardening and the racial dilemas of first century church that I wouldn't have adopted these teachings either. I know you are probably going to question the geniuness of my Calvinistic fervor being one who know longer believes these teachings. I admit it is rare these days to find a Calvinist who has converted to Arminian, but in the times of Calvin, I assure you it was much more the norm. Its cyclical. Now, for the most part the Calvinists are seen as the radicals who resurging onto the scene and their leaders are viewed by many as the scholarly elites of our day. History shows us that Arminianism hit the scene in much the same manner. They were seen as the real thinkers and scholars of the day who challenged the orthadox views.

Most Arminians today are not educated on the issues and therefore come across as such. They are fairly easily persuaded with scripture and even the ones who will take on a Calvinist rarely has much ammo. John 3:16 is usually the best they can do. It was these type of people who convinced me as a Calvinist that I must be right. Now, I think I was wrong, but who knows, I 'm still learning.

I don't have any special knowledge. Nothing more than Calvinists claim to have, the bible. I'm just refering to understanding certain contexts of the scripture in light of the issues at hand.

Calvinists, in my opinion, didn't understand the facts if and when they came to believe these doctrines, if they did, I believe, they would not have adopted Calvinism in the first place.

This is no different than what Calvinists believe about Arminians. Don't you think that if Arminians really understand all the fact, as you see them, that they would adopt Calvinism? Sure you do. If you didn't you wouldn't be here trying to convince us.

Oh, I'm sure that some Calvinists have honestly dealt with and understood these issue and have still sided with Calvinism, I just don't think most would. Once you become set in a doctrinal system its difficult to see any other view as valid.

Again, I don't mean to come across as arrogant in any way. If I do then maybe you kinda know why most Arminians feel that way about Calvinists.

19. russell55

russell55 New Member

It doesn't kill me to concede anything. But look at your statement:

for those I called....it was a lifechanging event.
    I took out the parenthetical statement so you can see what your sentence actually says. It says that for those you called, it was a lifechanging event. If you called 20, then those 20 had their life changed. It's in the grammar. If only ten had their life changed, and you want to be truthful then you say,

...for some of those who called, it was a lifechanging event

or you could say:

....for those who responded to the call, it was a lifechanging event.

But if you word it the way you worded it, then you are indeed implying that your call was a lifechanging for all whom you called.

Maybe. But the grammar of your sentence makes it clear that all who were called had their life changed. Just as the grammar of the passage discussing makes it clear that for all whom God has called (in the way the word is used here), Christ is the power and wisdom of God.

That is a different usage of the word than in this passage. But if I were, "for those who are called to the ministry, the ministry is a joyful one", then that implies that whatever way I am using the word "call" every single one of those who are called in that way will find the ministry to be joyful.

Once again, its in the grammar--not in the definitions of words. In fact, the particular definitions of the words is determined partly by the grammar of the context.

No, God chooses according to his purposes. Notice Paul is talking about HUMAN standards here--not MANY people who were born to the ruling class, not many worldly scholars, not many influential people were chosen.

Notice that this is "so that no flesh can boast before God." (verse 29) Humility is the result of God's choosing, not the cause.

Except I don't think this is exactly what Paul is writing about. There were indeed people who are born into the nobility, the upper crust, the ruling class. There were men who were scholars, philosophers, etc. Those are the ones in particular that Paul is refering to.

20. John Owen

John Owen New Member

OK, fair enough Skandelon.

My comment would be to say that 6 people is hardly much of a sample of the population, nor is it really sufficient to know whether or not your 3 points, if known by all persons considering these doctrines, would be certainly persuaded to a different theological ideology, namely Arminianism, which is what you claim, and is the point I am in disagreement with you on. You just cannot know such a thing for sure.

I would not say that either you or anyone else was not a “true” Calvinist, simply because one adopts another theological view. My view of salvation would be to say that one was not a true Christian if one abandons the faith, but I do not equate switching from Calvinism to Arminianism with switching from Christianity to Atheism or the like.

As far as your historical discussion is concerned, I would comment that Arminians were not considered some kind of intellectually elite group, when compared to Calvinists of the same (or even later) time period. Arminius was no more of a scholar than Calvin, in fact, though he was indeed brilliant, I think he is less of an exegete when compared to Calvin, IMHO, and, I think, even in Arminus’ opinion as well. So too with the rest of the adherents to Arminianism, that they are the “real thinkers” of the day cannot be proven. It is just this kind of broad statement, the same sort you make about being sure that if only people knew what you know, or rather, what your opinion is concerning 3 hermeneutical points, that they would never “convert” to Calvinism, that I am having difficulty with. That would be, in reality, impossible for you to prove. All this sort of statement can prove is to tell us that in your opinion, Arminians were intellectually superior to Calvinistic thinkers. And your opinion can go no further than that, an opinion. It certainly would not warrant the statement you seemed to dogmatically assert concerning the respective intellectual abilities of the 2 groups; I am referring to specifically where you say “They (Arminians) were seen as the real thinkers and scholars of the day who challenged the orthadox (sic) views”. What evidence can you offer to prove such a thing?

So too, to get back to my original objection, you are in no position to dogmatically assert that if only people knew your 3 points of contention with Calvinism, that they would certainly and invariably not adopt Calvinism. You can't know such a thing for sure.

I think the general error you make can also be typified in the following statement you make:

This is ridiculous. Imagine the contrary. "If only Arminians objectively evaluate their position, they will see their errors." Would you, as an Arminian, be persuaded of the truthfulness of such a statement!?!? Of course not. In other words, it is an insult to Calvinists for you to say what you said. You are inferring that you know, with certainity(!), that Calvinists have not been objective in their deciding that Calvinism is more faithful to the overall scriptural testimony regarding soteriological concepts, or whatever other theological point. Further, what is it that you even mean by using the term "objective"? Does this mean to be really saying: "if they only they saw things as I do, then I would deem them objective"? That is the trouble with making such broad statements, it only reflects the attitudes and opinions of the writer/speaker, and nothing more about objective reality. Unfortuantely such statements always attempt to be saying much much more then they do say or, worse, what they can say. For, again, how could you know such a thing? The motives of men's hearts are hidden, many times even to themself, let alone being able to judge the motives of another's heart, which is exactly what you claim to be able to know. This knowledge is reserved for God alone.

Blessings