1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Where to begin?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Mickey, May 22, 2005.

1. Mickey

Mickey New Member

Hello to all,

Over the past year or so, I believe that the Lord is leading me towards some type of work in the ministry. Whether its in missions, pastoring, or evangelism, I'm not sure, but I will do his will in whateverway. My question is this: Where do I begin? Do I go straight to a bible college, or do I have to attend a 2 year school of some sort beforehand? If any readers of this post are pastors, when the lord led you to preaching, what was your first step? Thanks in advance for your replies, and have a blessed day.

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

After I surrendered to preach, the first thing that happened was I started preaching at as many churches and opportunities as the Lord would bring into my path. I would fill in for pastorless churches, pastors on vacation, etc. Then I was licensed to preach by my home church, and eventually called to assist a pastor who was starting a church plant near our home.

3. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mickey,

PastorSBC1303 is telling you correctly from my vantage point and experience. You should seek to "blum where you are planted" just now.

I would also give you a couple of other things to consider.

First;

speak anywhere, anytime, and under any circumstance you can. Get a SS Class and "pastor" them. What this does is to get you "on your feet" as a public speaker and "in the book" so you are learning to "apply" the word and "supply" the word for your hearer.

Secondly;

for a while I would do an education program that would involve allow both the "academic" as well as the "apprentice" or "hands-on" model. Put yourself under the submission of a good and godly minister and follow him around and serve him. Be his "Timothy to his Paul" or his "Elisha to his Elijah." Learn by doing. But, also get involved with maybe some correspondence course(s) of some sort.

That begs some other question(s):

How much, what kind of education do you have already? The SBC has a very good "Seminary Extension" program for those who do not have a BA (BS) degree. It can ve transferred to some school like the Boice School (College) at The Southern Baptist Seminary in Louisville. Secondly, look at the Distance Learning (DL) programs at Liberty Baptist U. They are all difficult but can be done.

You are starting where we all start. God seems to have a "standard operating proceedure" as far as education goes. Although, we all seem to meander at times. Our focus is to be constantly on Him; pleasing Him, loving Him, spending time w/Him, seeking Him, etc. et al.

But, I was 30, with no formal education, went to seminary, finished college, got two masters, and went on to get a doctorate. It was not all "a bed of roses" but God's grace was sufficient for all we went through. Then again, I felt God wanted me to get enough academic credentials to be able to teach college or seminary.

You asked so let me continue to pontificate!!! I would not, however, sell everything I have and move off to Bible college or some such without doing what I have lined out above. You need to take it slow and "seek the Lord" as the oldtimers use to say. Make you life one of prayer. Examine your heart closely as you go along. Don't think that the Servant of God's life is necessarily one of "being busy" and "doin' stuff." Make sure that the Lord gives you a burden for the work, whatever that might be.

My burden, passion, and call was for the academic ministry. Nothing else could have sustained me on the long term like the call and passion and proclivities built into my psyche and experiences like God had put in my life.

These are my 30+ years of experience and perspective. It is not right or wrong for you--just mine for your consideration.

sdg! (soli deo gloria-solely to the glory of God!)

"Angry exhortation!?"

rd

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member

Thanks for the help. I understand that I must walk slowly and let the path be laid out for me, then set out on it at God's pace. I am glad RD that you brought up teaching a sunday school class as a beginning. I have never spoke to more than 20 or 30 people at any given time. Nerves play an important role. But I know that with the lords guidance, all will be overcome. On a side note, what does SBC stand for?

5. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mickey,

I teach Public Address (Preaching), Interpersonal Communication, Rhetoric and such. The practice of public speaking can only be learned by speaking. Never miss an opportunity to speak or teach or preach. But; prepare, study, prepare, study, & prepare and study some more. The Holy Spirit cannot use what is not there.

I am sorry, I thought you might understand the BB (Baptist Board) lingo. It means the "Southern Baptist Convention!" I did not mean to be obtuse.

There should be a Southern Baptist Convention web page on something like "Seminary Extention Program" of the Southern Baptist Convention on a Google search.

A lot you do in the future will be determined by your present education.

Walk with the Lord and he will show you the next step.

sdg!

rd

PS. If you have any more question post them on the BB or send me an email offline. I am here to help. I don't have all the answers but there are many brethren on the BB that can and will help you if they possible b/c their hearts are in the ministry & young ministers.

6. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Mickey I am also here to help if you need. Send me Private Message if I can be of any further assitance.

SBC= Southern Baptist Convention.

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mickey - no matter your age, I would recommend a good 4-year Baptist College, with majors in the areas of pastor/missions where your heart is.

Do you have some college? This can cut down the load or time needed.

And if you don't know what SBC stands for, GOOD START!! (spoken by an ifb'er) [​IMG]

8. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

As an alumni of a liberal arts baptist college, i would have to agree with Dr Bob, look to a good 4 year college, if you are interested in can recommend a really good one in southern MS (spoken as a proud alumni!).
    For me i majored in history and minored in Biblical studies due to the fact that i knew i was going to go to seminary and later study the same things i would have studied as a religion major. This gave me a pretty good platform to work on when i started seminary and also allowed me to have a back up major should the Lord have allowed for me to serve in a bivocational capacity.

But remember, it is ultimately up to God and you seeking His will.

in HIS grip
    bobbyd

9. PastorGreg

PastorGreg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]