1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Which college football program is currently the best producer of NFL talent?

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Alcott, May 3, 2007.

?
  1. Florida

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Florida St.

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. LSU

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Miami

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Michigan

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  6. Ohio St.

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  7. Tennessee

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  8. Texas

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  9. USC

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  10. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you go by the most recent NFL draft [April 28-29, 2007], a quick glance may lead directly to LSU, the only school that had more than 2 players selected in the first round—LSU had 4. But in 2006 Florida St. also had 4 in the first round, and Ohio St. had 5, as did Miami in 2004. Texas is the only school that has had 2 first round selections in each of the last 4 drafts, but no more than 2 in each 1st round.

Although top picks are only one criteria for considering the “best producer” of pro talent, it is largely true that the teams which produce top picks also produce the big numbers of overall talent, top-to-bottom. Currently Ohio St. leads in that way with 56 players (including the 2007 draft, but not rookie free agents), with Miami right there at 55, then Michigan and Florida St. each with 50. But LSU is the oncoming school again with 48, and it’s notable that LSU has 11 1st or 2nd rounders from the last 4 drafts, and by current ratings may have 4 more in next year’s draft, and could overtake any other school in regard to total players and total top (1st and 2nd round) picks.

All in all, it’s safe to say that the college teams that recruit the best from high school talent also produce the best, and/or the most, talent for the NFL, although often many of the names become shuffled in the intervening years. And these college teams generally remain near the top of the rankings, though there are some hard-to-explain exceptional situations; such as, LSU’s 4 first rounders this year included their starting QB and 2 starting WR’s, yet they lost to Florida and to Auburn, both with offensive blunders late in the games, and thus were knocked from playing for the SEC championship. Also, Texas had 2 DB’s taken in this year’s first round, and another taken in the 5th; yet this team was ranked 99th in pass defense with that same talent, indicating their secondary was not nearly as good as the sum of its parts.

Anyway, which school would you rank as the current best producer of NFL talent, and if you will, explain your reasoning for your own criteria for your choice.

#1 Alcott, May 3, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2007
  2. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

In my mind, it is a toss up between 5-6 schools. I voted OSU, but I could have easily voted USC, Texas, Florida or LSU.

3. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Best colleges that produce NFL talent

I voted for Texas. Look at some of their players drafted in the last few years:
    Vince Young
    Aaron Ross- This year
    Michael Griffin- This year
    Cedric Benson....will be a BEAST if given the ball in Chicago
    Priest Holmes wasn't even drafted, was he?
    Ricky Williams...I am talking talent, he has wasted his
    The Crowder kid will be a good player; I think his first name is Tim?
    Chris Simms...will make a good spot-starter...just not a full-time starter

I know their are a bunch more, but I wanted to give you some names...this is why I voted for Texas!

4. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Michigan has a great tradition of producing talented players.

5. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I agree with Andy, it is a toss up between several schools. I selected USC.

There is no way that right at this current time Michigan is the answer. That is simply a homer pick.

6. TomVols

TomVols New Member

It varies by position. I just gave away my guidebook that shows the listing by school.

7. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

I agree, and I'm a Michigan fan. UM and Penn State have been sliding the last several years, though they were once among the elite.

8. patrick

patrick New Member

Saban can recruit talent. He did at LSwho and Bama won't be far behind. Fear the tusks:thumbs:

9. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I was basing it on the fact that Michigan has produced so many talented players in their history, and that the best QB in the NFL right now played at U of M.

10. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Perhaps you missed the word "currently" in the question.

No doubt Michigian has historically produced top talent for the NFL and no doubt Tom Brady is one of the best QB's in the league. However, that does not mean they are producing the top talent currently. I am not even sure they would be in the top 10 of that category right now.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

When your QB and both starting receivers go in the first round, it's a no brainer (LSU)

12. TomVols

TomVols New Member

No, no...Peyton went to UT :applause:

13. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

Over recent years Ohio St, USC and any of the big 3 in Florida...but this year i think LSU made a statement with the draft and all of the free agent signings after the draft.