1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

While Many Americans Suffer: Obama's Travel, Everywhere!

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by righteousdude2, Jun 21, 2011.

1. billwald

billwald New Member

The AF flights are training exercises. Pilots need so many hours in the air to keep current.

2. mandym

mandym New Member

To point out the obvious. If conservatives keep doing things like this then we look like the far left who work to do the same thing with Palin, Rush, Hannity, etc. We need a higher standard than Jerry Springer type drama.

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Well my brother, we finally agree :) I don't understand why the right lets the left set the standard for proper behaviour. The 'they did it first so we can do it now attitude' is only going to bring disrepute on the right. We need to rise above this stuff and deal with the real issues at hand.

4. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe the Obamas have spent more time on vacation since they have been in office thab the Bushes did in 8 years.

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I would have to say I doubt that, the Bushes spent A LOT of time in Texas. Do you have a reference to support your belief?

6. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I don't care how much time either Bush, Clinton or Obama take off, or how much they travel, as long as they are doing their job, and American is functioning properly.. And I don't care what it costs.. I also would not begrudge the family from their travel plans at taxpayer cost.. We have never paid enough for a president's salary, and all these perks should be automatic..

We are not currently functioning as a nation properly..

7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Excellent post. The sad thing about the last line is that it has been the case for a long time now :-(.

8. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

So the Liberals protesting everything GWB did was ok but talking about spending taxpayers money on a vacation for the Presidents wife and her friends isn't fair game. Double standard there I believe. Like I said if the President paid the money back as the White House press says it is a moot point, but the fuel for the plane, the slaries of the Secret Service to protect the First Lady and the children what about those cost?

9. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't blame you for doubting it and Bush's time in Texas is the crux of the matter.

His time in Texas was not mainly for pleasure. He conducted meetings with his cabinet and congressional leaders at his home in Texas, as well as meeting with foreign dignitaries.

His time in Texas cannot be compared to the Obama's time in Williamsburg, Spain , and Hawaii...just to name a few. Obama held no meetings with cabinet members , foreign leaders or congressional leaders. He was on "vacation" first and looking out for the nation second as opposed to Bushes time in Texas.

That being said, a president is never truly on vacation. But their wives and families are. Michelle Obama is the biggest abuser I can remember.

10. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

We aren't functioning properly because the debt continues to rise and under this President there was no stopping it until we saw the change in the House. The House and Senate drive the economy anyway and since the Dem's were in charge of both houses until this past election we see the fruit of their labors in our economy. The President was approving everything they sent Him and the deficit soared and our debt soared. We need fiscal conservatives who will make hard decisions and cut unecessary spending and scrap the health care bill that is due to cost us billions and come up with reform that will bring our economy back and jobs back to Americans. Reform that will bring companies back to our nation by cutting the second highest corporate tax rate in the world. We need someone like Reagan and right now there may be two that fit the bill.

11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    True - but the real "training" is take-off and landings - not a 10 hour flight

I found this info on this web page

Remember too that most heavy pilots due three things—takeoff, cruise, and land (that’s not true for some tactical aircraft like C-130s). Fighter pilots actively fly, and execute missions, on each sortie--and they do it by themselves. When "converting" military hours to civilian hours, some airlines have even allowed a "multiplier" to account for the fact that fighter hours are more ‘valuable’ that heavy hours, though there’s no rule that requires it.

I have been trying to find the miniumu flight hours a pilot must have - no sucess yet. Does anyone else have a good source for the info?

12. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Trips to Texas is Hardly a Pleasure-seeking Overseas Vacation

Bush may have spent a lot of time on his ranch, but it didn't cost the people for five star hotels, thousands of miles on Air Force One, and tons of staff to not only protect the first family, but, to cater to their every need.

Bush's ranch was pretty much a self contained facility, and I'm sure the costs were not comparable in any way.

However, you can go on believing what you want, because nothing will change your mind of Obama, and stop you from bringing up yesterdays' news to use in a comparative battle of wills!

You may not want to accept the truth, but Obama. His wife, and children (not their fault or they're doing) have been on one long extended vacation and a non-stop campaigning tour, since he took office.

Call it what you want C4K, but I say, forget Bush, and ask yourself if a POTUS that truly cares about his nation should be spending time in other countries, or working on lowering unemployment, and helping people to keep their homes?

He didn't blink an eye when it came to "bailing out" wall street and two car making companies. However, getting those "shovels ready jobs" to the people, and bailing out those who are losing homes faster than water comes out of a cullendar should be his number one priority. Not visiting nations that don't even like us any ways!!

Thanks for your opinion(s), and your firm stand behind a POTUS that wouldn't stand behind you if your life depended on it! :tongue3:

Pastor Paul :type:

13. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I guess we cloud retreat to Fortress America and forget about the rest of the world. That would be another discussion.

How do you suggest that the president spend money to make jobs? Would you support FDR-like government work programmes? Do you really think government money should be spent bailing out mortgage holders?

Do you not think it beneficial to compare this president's travel expenses with previous ones?

My firm stand behind the president? Hardly, that is why I wish we could get away from these petty distractions. This is sure to get him re-elected.

#33 NaasPreacher (C4K), Jun 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2011
  14. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I mentioned before the thead title is mis-leading.
    The OP was disucssing the overseas travel of Mrs Obama and her children - which seems to be excessive.

Most have not really compained about the travel of the POTUS.

15. NaasPreacher (C4K)

They claim that they pay for any private expenses. Unless we want to just assume they are lying there really is no issue here.

16. mandym

mandym New Member

Who in this thread said this?

Who's double standard?

So he should stay locked up in the whitehouse?

17. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    again, we are not questioning the travel of the POTUS, especially on offical business (and as has been stated, he never is really on vacation) - the discussion is about the excessive travel of MRS. Obama traveling alone

18. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Do you have any evidence that her travel is excessive compared to other First Ladies or that they do not pray for her private trips as they claim?

19. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

First off GWB was hit by liberals almost everytime he breathed wrong, I saw something in here about his trips to his ranch in Texas, and Mrs Bush's travels on good will tours.

So to say Bush was worse and it's ok to not say something about the Obama's is a double standard.

The point I was making is that the tip to Spain was Mrs. Obama some of her friends and her daughters as a vacation. They flew in U.S. owned jets with the Secret Service to protect them and it was a personal trip without her husband along. I was saying if they paid it all bakc that is great but if the Secret Service and airplane personells salaries plus the fuel cost and that weren't reimbursed then the tax payers paid for a personal trip which is money better spent at home with a bad economy.

20. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

The Spain trip website of the article at bottom:
    "While first lady Michelle Obama continues sightseeing and shopping in southern Spain with her daughter Sasha and friends as "private" tourists, questions are being raised about the cost to taxpayers and whether a lavish vacation sends the right message during tough economic times in the United States."
    "According to CBS News, the tax dollar part of the vacation include an estimated $146,000 round-trip cost for the U.S. Air Force 757 aircraft, not counting ground time; about $95,000 in hotel costs for an estimated 70 security personnel -- Secret Service and military -- who get a $273-a-day government per diem, plus costs for the dozen or so cars in her motorcade. I'm told that three shifts of agents are needed for a trip of this magnitude."

"While former first lady Hillary Rodham Clinton traveled with Chelsea and former first lady Laura Bush took Barbara and Jenna with her on trips, the overseas travel was in connection with "official" business that was more than lunch with royalty at their summer palace. And it's not like Mrs. Obama is lacking a diplomatic agenda. Her April visit to Mexico City was the kick off of her "international agenda" with a focus on developing youth leadership.

Mrs. Bush's true personal trips were hiking vacations in national parks with female pals."

http://www.politicsdaily.com/2010/08/06/michelle-obamas-lavish-spain-vacation-sparking-criticism/