1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Whitewash: New Texas history books will downplay slavery, omit KKK and Jim Crow

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Zaac, Jul 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

And what stereotype would that be? I'm talking about the REALITY of a people. It may be all fine and dandy to say that the racism has faded, but it hasn't. As I said, people attempt to hide a lot of their racism and racial prejudice behind politics and the law today. The same type folks who stereotyped Blacks as inferior, lazy savages yesterday are the same ones calling them lazy, welfare broods and violent savages today.
    Nice try. But those who went through Jim Crow fully acknowledge that racism is just as prevalent in this country as ever.

You can't tell me that something isn't amiss when in 1964, 2/3 of the folks in jail in the country were White, but by 1994, 2/3 of the folks locked up around the country are Black and Latino.

Did white folks stop committing crimes?

This country is full of systemic racism that now the world has had its eyes and ears opened to.

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What stereotype do you think I'm speaking of?
    You are inconsistent. Sometimes you present crime as a result of past racial issues that resulted in inequality (which would result in a disproportionate percentage of oppressed minorities committing actual crimes legitimizing your argument). Here you flip the argument to emphasize your present angle ("did white folks stop committing crimes?").

You see a racism where it does not exist. Others can't see racism at all. Both sides are wrong and are acting on their own presuppositions. Your illustration of 1964 to 1994 is an illustration of racial stereotypes on your part, nothing else. Most who are alive now were not alive in 1964. Most did not experience that racism and the hand-me-down of their fathers is not the same.

#122 JonC, Jul 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2015
  3. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I really don't know. :laugh: That's why I asked so as to not put words in your mouth.

There's no inconsistency. White folks didn't stop committing crime. But as a result of past and current racial issues more police officers were placed in black communities to police them while mostly letting their white counterparts run amok.

As formal discrimination was outlawed in the 1960s, another method of social control had to be developed to keep certain people in control and Black people in their place.

The people in control increasingly criminalized Black people and certain actions and then focus their attention on Black people.

So why, when over 60% of the violent crime in the US is committed by non-Hispanic white people, are only 23% of the folks locked up for violent crime white?

Systemic institutionalized racism is just as much of a tyrant as was overt racism during slavery and Jim Crow.

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    : :thumbsup: Thanks! That doesn't happen much on the BB anymore. :laugh:
    I agree. But what some do not realize is that systemic institutionalized racism today is not an actual product of "Jim Crow." It is often self inflected.

5. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I can in part agree with that. Folks do some stupid things. And the systemically institutionalized racism often causes those in charge to respond in an even more stupid manner.

No the systemic institutionalized racism isn't a part of Jim Crow. But it developed out of that brand of thinking.

It is downright nefarious how some racist and racially prejudiced white people played Chess while the black people were playing Checkers.

It is crazy how,as certain things were made "illegal" in the 60s, these people came up with a legal strategy to do what they had already been doing.

Latinos and Blacks make up a little over a quarter of the population. Yet they make up nearly 90%(74% for Blacks/ 15%+ for Latinos) of the folks incarcerated for drugs. 74% of the illegal drug users are White. But they only make up about 10% of those in jail for illegal drugs.

Crazy. Especially when you've got the folks who write the laws investing in the prison industry.

6. Lewis

Lewis Active Member
    Site Supporter

Honest people would acknowledge that there was more than one thing going on in 1962. Remember that whole Civil War centennial thing? I do.

And if they had put up the "real" CSA flag would you have a different view? No? So why even use that argument.

Everyone knows the South lost the war. Confederate memorials were just that, memorials to their dead. As Andrew Young said, The flag means different things to different people.

7. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Honest people would acknowledge the tenor of the time and like the other states attempting to make a statement about integration, recognize that South Carolina was doing the same. The people of that day know it as well as the honest people of today.

I can answer for myself. A's I said before if they had done that, it would actually look like they were supporting heritage.

A nd to many including descendants of the Confederacy, they know the hate and racism this flag represents.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

8. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thjis thread is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.