1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Who are the “sons of God” in Genesis 6:2,4?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Gabriel Elijah, Dec 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...or "Abraham's Bosom" could be my place :D

Oh man, you went right for the hammer bypassing the frying pan :eek:

You must really be right on this topic :laugh:

2. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

That is true. I had it confirmed to be by a Jewish Rabbi when I attended Shabbat. I was asked my opinion of Genesis 1:28, and was glad to share that I saw the plurality there as being evidence for a Triune God. The Rabbi disagreed with me and said that the plurality was (in Jewish thought) God and angels. I've since looked up the Midrashim, and he was stating that correctly from his perspective.

3. Gabriel Elijah

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Webdog—I had to come back real quick & make sure u didn’t take my previous post as insulting—so if u did—sorry about that—but I just wanted to add one quick thing---If the Gen 6 interpretation is as simple as going to Heb 1:5 to debunk the angel view—then why don’t the modern scholars who are non-angelic in their Gen 6 understanding & know the original language, simply just say “hey look at Heb 1:5”--& leave it at that. The reason is—its not that simple & irrelevant to the true meaning of the Hebrew bene ha elohim. God Bless brother!

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I didn't take offense, no need to apologize. Just wanted to state I have looked at that.

Honestly, I don't think either side can use one passage of Scripture as concrete evidence.

Safe travels!

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course it's Christology. Christology has everything to do with sonship, but it's also answering the Hebrew superstition that angels are sons of God. Christ couldn't be an angel because God never called the angels sons.

So the Apostle asks, "Unto which of the angels said He at any time?" If the idea that Gen. 6:2 were angels, the answer would have been simple, "Have ye not read in the Law, 'the sons of God saw the daughters of men?'"

But the answer is understood to be "No where," which means that angels are not in view in Gen. 6:2.

6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It also means that the sons of God in Job are not angels either. Satan has access to Heaven? Puh-leeze!

7. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

It says in Job that the sons of God and Satan came to present themselves before God. Where do you suppose they met when they came before God?

Revelation 12:10 And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.

How does Satan stand and accuse the brethren then? Is it not to God's face?

8. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When is it that you believe this incident occurred?:

And he said unto them, I beheld Satan fallen as lightning from heaven. Lu 10:18

Or this?:

7 And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels going forth to war with the dragon; and the dragon warred and his angels;
    8 And they prevailed not, neither was their place found any more in heaven.
    9 And the great dragon was cast down, the old serpent, he that is called the Devil and Satan, the deceiver of the whole world; he was cast down to the earth, and his angels were cast down with him. Rev 12

It is quite apparent by reasoning from these examples of heavenly dialogs that are given us in scripture, i.e., 2 Chron 18:18-22, Job 1 & 2, Lu 22:31, that Satan and his angels still had a place in heaven (or access) during the account given in Gen 6. They hadn't been kicked out yet.

9. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We meet in closets and santuaries. We come before the Lord at each prayer and devotion. We're said to come "before the throne of grace." And many times when we do so, Satan comes as well.

So who knows where the sons of God in those days met. The Law was not yet given. There was no tabernacle. No doubt it was some place set aside for worship.

10. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.biblestudytools.com/commentaries/matthew-henry-complete/revelation/12.html

11. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your post got me the thinking...:smilewinkgrin: A dangerous prospect, I know.

The passage in Job doesn't identify the "sons of God" as angels. They are said to be the "sons of God" who had come to present themselves before God. Satan came with them.

If Satan is always bringing accusations against God's chosen people, wouldn't Satan have been doing the same thing in Job's time? In fact, isn't that what Satan does with Job, he makes accusation against Job to God? Given the context of the passage and the theme of Job it makes a lot of sense to view the "sons of God" in chp 1 and 2, who had come before God to present themselves, as God's chosen people of Adam's race who had come before God for judgement and Satan is there to accuse them.

There is no contradiction, then, to identifying the "sons of God" in Gen. 6 with the Godly line of Seth, and not as angels.

That makes sense to me.

peace to you:praying:

#191 canadyjd, Dec 31, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2010
  12. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I'm not saying you're wrong, and if Gen. 6 was the only passage in the Bible I was using to make my point, I wouldn't be able to make a point at all. But Gen 6 is just one of many bible passages that speaks of these angels. Combined together I believe the bible makes a compelling argument for the sons of God being angelic beings.

I still think that the reference by Jude to the book of Enoch is extremely compelling. If it were just Jewish tradition or a Hebrew "story", I wouldn't give it much weight, but because it is spoken of in scripture, and God cannot lie, I think it should be taken as truth.

13. Winman

Winman Active Member

I tend to believe the sons of God in Gen. 6 were angels, because in Jude 1:6 it speaks of angels that kept not their first estate but left their own habitation. Where did they go?

By the way, Satan still has access to heaven and is not cast out until Rev. 12:7-9 which is still future.

#193 Winman, Dec 31, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2010
  14. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    But Gen. 6 doesn't use the term "angel". Gen. 6 says "sons of God", which you are interpreting as "angels". The same with "sons of God" in Job 1 & 2. The passage doesn't use the term "angels". It uses the term "sons of God", which you are interpreting as "angels".

It makes sense to view the term "sons of God" in both Gen. 6 and Job 1 & 2 as God's people from among Adam's race.
    But the reference in Jude doesn't say anything about angels cohabitating with human women. It says some of the angels didn't keep their proper place and were punished by God.
    But only what made it into scripture is considered truth. What made it into scripture doesn't say that the angels co-habitated with human women.

peace to you:praying:

15. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding. Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it? Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof; When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy? Job 38:4-7 God was speaking to Job.

Why were these sons of God shouting with joy unless it was made for them and who are they?

Is it possible this is the first estate and it was being created for them?
    And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation.

For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast [them] down to hell, and delivered [them] into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment;

With keeping with the pattern we see in the word of God would this sin not have brought about darkness and decay and confusion leaving that first estate in this condition?
    Genesis 1:2 1st part And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness [was] upon the face of the deep.

By the way angels can not die so if they cohabited with humans would their offspring be eternal beings of beings subject to death?

16. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  17. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, because there is no brief synopsis. What I have is a fundamentally different paradigm by which to interpret Revelation than you have, and a short answer would not suffice. I am Amillennial, you, obviously, are not, or you would not see support for your ideas in the verses you cited.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.