1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Who does the Holy Spirit speak to?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Radidio, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Radidio

Radidio New Member

Got a question?

The Holy Spirit leads us and guides us as we read the scriptures. He makes us understand what we as sinfull human beings can't understand because of our sinfull nature.

Then why do we have hundreds of different denominations? Is the Spirit missguiding some of us(only meant as hypothetical and not derogatory). Is our "theology" getting in the way of our hearing the Spirit? Are most of us so sinfull that we are getting it wrong and our sinfull human nature really standing in the way of us truly hearing the Spirit talk and try to teach us? How do we know that we are hearing the Spirit or the biggest blow-hard. The Bible warns about men's knowledge not being God's knowledge.
    This is scary?! Who's really hearing the Spirit?

I presented this idea to someone else on this board and don't want to "stir" things up and cause desention but as and earnest inquiry.

#1 Radidio, Nov 16, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2006
  2. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Well you really have answered your own question. Yes the Spirit is our Teacher and is capable and will lead us and guide us into ALL Truth IF we will allow Him to.

That last part is the key part . . . IF we will allow Him to.

And no the Holy Spirit is not behind all denominations, because the Spirit is not behind false information. He is only behind the Truth.

Your last question is the most difficult and really incapable of being answered completely in this lifetime. The only thing that I can say is you must seek God will all your being. Pray that the Spirit will guide you into the Truth and that He will surround you with people that know the Truth.

If you are seeking the Truth He will show you the Truth, but you must be willing to accept some things that maybe a little or a lot different than what you think now or what you have been taught in the past. Some of God's Truth is not easily digestable, especially to this generation of believers.

Hope that makes sense.

3. mman

mman New Member

I like the way you think. The Holy Spirit is not the source of division, man is. When I watch NFL games, I can see the same game being played by the same rules every week. When I look at religion, I see different groups practicing various things in various ways.

Basically, it comes down to our following biblical authority. Are we seeking to please God or please ourselves? How do we know how God wants to be worshiped? He has told us. Has He given us instructions we can understand?

I'm not the smartest person in the world, but even I believe that I can write you a letter that is understandable by you, without any help.

God, in His infinite wisdom, has given us His word, which is understandable. His word is profitable for teaching, correcting and instruction in righteousness. His word thoroughly equips us. When we are thoroughly equipped, we don't need anything else. We don't need a creed book, a synod, a council, a conference, a book of Mormon, or anything else. (See II Tim 3:16-17)

Paul said, "I appeal to you, brothers, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be united in the same mind and the same judgment." - I Cor 1:10

Is this possible? Would Paul appeal to them to do the impossible? It is not impossible, as some people may falsely contend.

Paul also told the Galatians, "I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting him who called you in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel-- not that there is another one, but there are some who trouble you and want to distort the gospel of Christ. But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed." - Gal 1:6-8

How can you pervert the gospel? You either add to it as the Galatians had done, or you omit part of it.

What is the result of adding to or taking away from? A perverted gospel. What is the consequence for teaching a perverted gospel? Being accursed!

The only way we can be united is to return to the bible, and reject all man made doctrines and practices. We need to speak where the bible speaks and remain silent where the bible is silent. We need to call bible things by bible names and do bible things in bible ways.

Jesus said about God, "But the hour is coming, and is now here, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for the Father is seeking such people to worship him. God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth." - John 3:23-24

When one group practices one thing and another group practices something contrary, can both be worshipping in truth? No, either one, or both, are wrong. Is worshipping in truth a necessity? If we understand the concept of MUST, then we know the answer.

How do we know if we are worshipping in truth? God's word is truth (Jn 17:17), therefore worshipping in truth is the same as worshipping according to God's word.

I can find approved apostolic examples or New Testament commands to come together to worship on the first day of the week (Acts 20:7), to partake of the Lord's supper (Acts 20:7), to give of my means (I Cor 16:2), to pray (Acts 2:42), to sing (Eph 5:19), and for the preaching of God's word (Acts 20:7). All of these can be done in truth, or according to God's word.

However, when I introduce what I want or like, then division comes. One may say, I like the sound of a mechanical instrument of music, so if I like it, it must be ok with God. That is where division comes from, when man ignores God's instructions and does what he likes, regardless of his rationale. One fact remains. You cannot worship with mechanical instruments in truth. Jn 17:17 says God's word is truth and we must worship in truth (Jn 4:24), therefore, since the NT is silent, YOU CANNOT USE INSTRUMENTAL MUSIC IN TRUTH. God's command is to sing. That is the approved music.

We will never be united, and all speak the same thing, with no division, as Paul pleaded for in I Cor until we believe that true worshipper will worship in truth.

4. Radidio

Radidio New Member

OK but then don't we run into the same problem that I stated originally and that's who is the Holy Spirit really talking to? Is it more advantageous to listen to someone who is called? Say a pastor. Of course pastors usually seem to be self proclaimed initiates, but maybe not. What about what the Bible has to say about it. For instance when Jesus gives the Keys of the Kingdom to Peter. Not that Peter is the founder of the Church but that his possition as a disciple of God is an anointed position. Not through apolstolic sucsession but just by virtue of the apointment of Jesus.

So maybe can we consider that even though the Spirit is in us and he teaches and counsels us that the anointed are also the bearers of God's word because of their possesions of the Keys of the Kingdom.

This premiss indicates that the ministers, preachers, pastors, epicopates, bishops, whatever you want to call them would have a "calling" from God to minister to us and as expressed in Romans 10:14,15

14How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

15And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!