1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Who Said This?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Bro Tony, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

Do you know from whom the following quote was given? Whether or not you know who originated this quote, what do you think of it?

"A man's main business is God; a woman's main business is the man."

Bro Tony

2. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Jack Hyles.

I don't think much of it.

3. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I don't think it's biblical. :rolleyes:

Women are called into relationship with Christ just as much as men are. I think the Gospel of Luke shows us this, and shows how important women were to God.

The first witnesses of the risen Christ were women! :love2:

4. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

Wow! It didn't take the ladies long to reply:smilewinkgrin: BTW ladies I agree with both of your responses. :thumbs:

Bro Tony

5. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Bro Tony, you're a true gent! :thumbs:

6. Milady

Milady New Member

Only a truly sick mind could have thought that one up!

7. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

:thumbsup:

Good man :laugh:

8. DorthyMontine

DorthyMontine New Member

Don't know who said it. But, I would say that depends on whether they are married. See 1 Corinthians 7:32-34. Maybe that is what the person had in mind.

9. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

Don't think I agree with you there even with that verse Dorothy. Paul was speaking about how tough it is to follow the Lord and give Him your all when you are married. That is both male and female. The quote was presented as a statement of Divine purpose for the man and the woman. I want my wife to follow Jesus first and foremost and the two of us submit to one another as the Bible instructs. Paul said it best when he said, "...in Christ there is neither male nor female..." My wife's main business is to follow her Lord and that's not me. I am not qualified for the job.

When both husband and wife "seek first the Kingdom and His righteousness" then all other things will be as they should be. I need a woman who loves and follows the Lord and she needs a man who does the same thing.

Bro Tony

10. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

This would be the crux of it. We both love the Lord. He put us together. Husband loves the wife like Christ loves the church and the wife is submissive to the husband. Seems to me that Mr. Hyles's statement below has a warped sense of worship and submissiveness IMHO.

11. Milady

Milady New Member

12. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

13. bapmom

bapmom New Member

My dear folk,

I don't know if I agree with the statement or not when there is no context to put it in.

Now, if Jack Hyles said it, than I have something of an inkling of what he would have meant by it because I have heard an entire series of his on the Christian woman and her role as the "holy spirit" of the home. I listened pretty critically, waiting for the "hatred", and instead found that he had a very high regard for womanhood, contrary to what Milady said. I found their comment to be actually quite unfair, as he was actually known and loved by thousands who to this day consider him to have been a "pastor to pastors" all over the country. I can tell you now that his wife and daughters will tell you that he was very much known for his love of the brethren....including womanhood.

This (out of context) quote....if indeed by Jack Hyles......would have been referring to her role in the marriage. It would NOT be referring in any way to her value, nor would it be saying that she is not following her Lord.
    Rather the wife's main goal....as given to her by GOD.....IS to care for her husband. She is given that job BY GOD, and it is a sacred and vitally important role. If I do not take care of my husband who will? But we ladies need to realize that it is NOT the husband's main role to take care of the wife. She takes care of him so that he can go and do all the things that God would have him to do. It is when we women have gotten away from what our main focus ought to be as wives, that our men no longer feel cared for and things get all out of wack.

Ultimately of course it is each individual person's main goal as a Christian to follow God. However, following God and fulfilling our purpose and God's will in our life is different for each of us. This is a general statement, and one which came midst probably a good 50 or 60 minute sermon. One cannot honestly determine if one agrees with it without knowing the context and the person behind the statement.

14. DorthyMontine

DorthyMontine New Member

Bro. Tony...actually, I think you would agree with me, cause I think we truly are on the same page.

First, I wasn't taking the statement questioned in the sense of "Divine Purpose"...and I guess I looked at it from the perspective of the passage I mentioned in 1Corinthians 7, thinking that was what the author of the statement had in mind. I have dear friends who were missionaries and waited until later in life to marry and have shared about the difference in their walk with the Lord, when the cares for a spouse entered into their lives. Not that they love the Lord less, just that their attention is now given in other directions also and they have noticed the effect it has had on them spiritually.

Yes, I agree with you about what Paul is addressing. And I think that applies to what my friends have experienced. I also agree about both the husband and the wife 'seeking first the kingdom of God and his righteousness.

Sorry if I didn't explain myself clearly in my initial post, but then again, I was looking at the statement from a completely different angle.

15. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

Thank you Dorthy, I believe we do agree on this.

The quote is from Jack Hyles, and it was not taken from a site filled with his detractors, but from a site where his followers were sharing his quotes. All pastors have quotes that are attributed to them, I read the other day a page full from Adrian Rodgers. It is like Scripture one must be careful to keep what is being said in context. Little isms that are put forth by supporters or detractors can be received differently depending on the experience people had with the originator of the quote.

The quote standing alone, in view of many fundamental pastor's view of women (not all, but many) certainly leads to the possiblility of people following the one line philosophy to see women as only existing for their man.

Food for thought in promoting ism from any source.

Bro Tony

16. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you ever get out to AZ you can stay in our master guest room, private bath, jacuzzi tub, mesquite barbecued steak! and you can make friends with my wife. :laugh:

17. IveyLeaguer

IveyLeaguer New Member

This quote, in itself, is unbiblical if not heretical. The very idea that the 'main business' of a man is devotion and service to God and the 'main business' of a woman is devotion and service to her man is to place the man in the same lofty position as God, which is idolatry.

I've no idea whether this quote is accurate and I'm not familiar with Jack Hyles. If it is an accurate quote, perhaps whoever said it was well-intentioned and just didn't think it through.

I agree with the posts above regarding God's commandments and the Biblical roles of the marriage relationship - Biblical marriages are almost nonexistent today and society is suffering greatly because of it - but this statement is WAY over the line.

#17 IveyLeaguer, Jun 6, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2006
  18. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ephesians 5:22-33
    Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body. Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing. Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word, That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish. So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself. For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church: For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones. For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh. This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church. Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife see that she reverence her husband.

My wife would disagree with the ideology that submissiveness is a less equal position. Jesus Christ submitted to the Father in the Garden of gesthemene when he said "Not my will but thine". It did not make him any less God, nor did it demean him.

The marraige relationship pictures the relationship between Christ and the Church. And in case you havent picked up on it, Christ submitted to man when he went to the cross.

Service and submission are not to be looked at as a lesser position, but in the kingdom of God it is a greater position.

Mark 9:35And he sat down, and called the twelve, and saith unto them, If any man desire to be first, the same shall be last of all, and servant of all
    Paul did not write that we should submitt to each other in the marriage relationship. In that verse he was talking to the church as a whole. He then switches gears to the marriage relationship.

The submission of the wife in the marriage relationship is not a "lesser" "inferior" position but in the kingdom of God it is a glorious position and one of honor.

Matthew 19:30But many that are first shallbelast; and the lastshallbe first.

19. Milady

Milady New Member

Well, y'all are assuming that he meant a Husband and Wife.I agree with bapmom's statement.
    I have NO OBLIGATION to take care of anyone but my husband. He is using that as a blanket statement for ALL WOMEN AND MEN. As far as not knowing Jack.. my dad DID know him, and was not treated with kindness or brotherly love by him.
    Milady

20. IveyLeaguer

IveyLeaguer New Member

Point well made, I agree with all that as I said in the post above and I agree with bapmom. But what about the statement in the OP?
    Is this statement unbiblical, is it heretical ... both? Or do ya'll agree with it?