1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Who should be the NBA season MVP?

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by 4His_glory, Apr 4, 2006.

1. rbell

rbell Active Member

I always wanted to see the '83 sixers against this bunch in an NBA final. The matchups would have been legendary.

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

One of the things that always seems to make it hard in selecting the MVP is whether it is about the best player in the league that year, or the player that is the most valueable to his team that year.

3. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Yeah I always wondered about that too. I would tend towards the latter since the best player is not always the most valueable to his team.

4. Convicted by the Spirit

I think the MVP should be just that ... the most valuable player. If we picked the mvp by best player then that might be Kobe Bryant, but if we pick by who has been most valuable then King James is the choice.

5. Timtoolman

Timtoolman New Member

My, this has become a more gentle and kind thread! [​IMG]

6. PastorSBC1303

Tim, we leave the hard stuff up there in the theology thread for the C v. A debate [​IMG] Even Piston fans disagree on that one [​IMG]

7. Love of Christ

Love of Christ New Member

Efficiency Rating : (Number of games - Efficiency per 48 minutes)

1. Kevin Garnett (Minnesota Timberwolves) 76 -37.38
    2. Yao Ming (Houston Rockets) 56 - 35.07
    3. Elton Brand (Los Angeles Clippers) 74 - 34.91
    4. Dirk Nowitzki (Dallas Mavericks) 77 - 34.44
    5. Shawn Marion (Phoenix Suns) 76 - 34.03
    6. Dwyane Wade (Miami Heat) 73 - 33.76
    7. LeBron James (Cleveland Cavaliers) 76 - 33.47
    8. Steve Nash (Phoenix Suns) 75 - 32.60
    9. Kobe Bryant (Los Angeles Lakers) 76 - 31.99
    10. Tim Duncan (San Antonio Spurs) 76 - 31.53

KG and Ming won't play the playoffs this year.
    So, my prediction : Elton Brand or Dirk Nowitzki

8. Timtoolman

Timtoolman New Member

LOL, you notice that, huh? Well I will listen to a piston fan, who is a calvie before one thats not! [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

LOL, you notice that, huh? Well I will listen to a piston fan, who is a calvie before one thats not! [​IMG] [​IMG] </font>[/QUOTE]Gee... thanks Tim. ;) [​IMG]

I expect the "wolves" will begin to circle us when the playoffs start- to bad for them the Pistons are playing so well now- even their bench has been great. :D

10. Convicted by the Spirit

The following was taken from Espn.com daily dime ... http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dailydime-060411

From all the conversations I've had on the MVP subject -- and, trust me, I've had five for every comment I've made on air or online -- MVP has a variety of meanings. For some, it's MEP, or the league's Most Excellent Player. For others, it's MVPOAWT, or Most Valuable Player on a Winning Team. Here's a popular one: MSIPOATTWBTE or Most Statistically Impressive Player on a Team That Was Better Than Expected. Generally, the easiest and safest pick is MVPOTBT: Most Valuable Player on the Best Team. This year has brought a new one to the mix: MDPDTSOATTFS, or Most Dominant Player Down the Stretch on a Team that Finished Strong. And, finally, there's MIP, or Most Indispensable Player, as in the guy whose team would absolutely fall apart without him.

If there's a reason to be particularly fed up with all the Let-me-tell-you-who-the-MVP chatter is this season, other than it's been going on all season and continues to mutate, that's precisely it. Without first defining MVP, and acknowledging that it's your definition and not necessarily anyone else's, it's like raging at your friends for not agreeing with your choice of Air Jordans.

So, for what it's worth, here are my choices for all above. And, yes, here's the disclaimer: these are my definitions. Acronymites, feel free to create your own, order your own hardware and have your own happy little award ceremony. The guy who eventually wins the real deal will not feel slighted, I promise you.

MEP --Kobe Bryant.

MVPOAWT -- Dwyane Wade.

MSIPOATTWBTE -- Elton Brand.

MVPOTBT -- Chauncey Billups.

MDPDTSOATTFS -- LeBron James.

MIP -- Steve Nash.

11. PastorSBC1303

I disagree with the MIP being Steve Nash. I do not think Phoenix would fall apart as much without Nash as the Mavs would without Dirk or the Cavs would without Lebron.

12. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

No doubt, Adam Morrison, J. J. Reddick, 'Big Baby' or Joachim Noah! Most of their teams would not have gotten anywhere near, apart from the... - Uh -... Oh, Sorry! Wrong league! :confused: You were referring to the one with :rolleyes: a salary cap! [​IMG] My bad! :eek: :D

Heh! Heh! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Ed

13. Timtoolman

Timtoolman New Member

I think that MVP should be the person who helps the most take their team to the championship. What other criteria should you use. kobe and Lebron are one man shows right now. Can they play teamball. Kobe and Shaq show seemed to at least allude too the fact that Kobe may not be.It is a team sport and the best team usually does win. Eh? [​IMG]

14. PastorSBC1303

Tim, obviously that is not the criteria used for selecting the MVP because it is selected before the championship. The award from my understanding is about the regular season, not the playoffs.

I can see your line of thinking though and by that criteria Michael Jordan should have won the MVP all 6 years they won the championship.

15. Timtoolman

Timtoolman New Member

Right, but can you think of a fairer one? And I am asking cause there may be one. MVP for a team sport really is kind of a waste of time anyways isnt it?
    Just opinions, no charge. ;)

16. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I were starting a team... I'd start with Dirk. Billups would make a good foundation too. If I needed a point guard, I'd actually take Parker over Nash.

It is really hard to compare today's teams historically. If you look at the things that are relatively common today, they'd be extraordinary even 10 years ago. That said, I wouldn't put the Pistons in as the best team ever since the talent is more evenly distributed today.

Further, I don't know how you can compare players. I always liked Bird. But if you compare the things that he could do to the things Nowitzki can do... the biggest differences seem to be that Dirk is taller, quicker, and jumps better. But it is highly unlikely he'll ever compare to Larry Legend in fame.

Same with alot of guys as compared to Jordan and Magic and Erving...

Does anyone here think that Kareem would have been considered the dominant center in the NBA today? Over Shaq, Yao, and several others?

17. Timtoolman

Timtoolman New Member

I agree Scott, I don't think that the Pistons are the best team ever. I think the "bad boys" with their back to back could be in the running though. They broke up the team after winnning the second time in order to start rebuilding. Most of the Pistons were reaching their retirement age. However I think you could have gotton at least one more win out of them. They use to beat Jordan and the bulls constistantly when Jordan was young. I know I am going to hear from Chicago superfan SBC but I don't believe they were the best either. They would not have beat the Pistons IMO.

I will say I use to enjoy the playoffs between the celtics and the Lakers, Bird and Magic. Those were the good ole days.
    As for Kareem I think so. He was a big man with much talent, the very least was being tall. I would say definately over Yao, Duncan and I would say Shaq too because I believe he has changed the inside game. How do you defend Shaq, or refere him? Too me he does a whole lot of pushing, pulling, holding and just plain running over the guy. I think, dispite his crying lately, that the refs have helped him greatly in his basketball career.

18. PastorSBC1303

Yeah, you knew you would hear from me on this one [​IMG]

I think the '95-'96 Bull have to be considered in the conversation for the greatest team ever. I mean they won a record 72 games in the regular season with only 10 loses! That is just insane.

The back to back championship teams for the Pistons were great teams(although I did lose a lot of respect for them when several of their key players refused to shake the Bulls hand and walked off the court with a few seconds left when the Bulls finally did knock them off). I think the Bulls in their prime and the Pistons in their prime would have been epic. But I think the Bulls would have prevailed in most of those years, especially the final 3 championship runs. I don't think the Jordan rules defense would have been effective against the Bulls in their prime because they had other weapons around Jordan that would have made you pay.

Man you are making me miss the ole days of the NBA with the Bull-Pistons, Lakers-Celtics. Maybe one day we shall see something like that again...

19. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Me too, those were great days! There were some classic matchups back then. Lets not forgot the Lakers-Pistons finals, those were some great games.

20. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I always hated the Bulls, Lakers, and the Pistons... so I probably can't be completely objective about them.

Dislike aside, I think that the Bulls team mentioned would have beaten the "Bad Boys". I think both would have probably beaten the Lakers.

... and I still don't think Kareem could have dealt with the physicality of today's centers. Yes, I think Shaq gets away with alot... simply because all that muscle has to go somewhere. Yao is pretty physical as well and though the fine points would go to Kareem he just couldn't compete phyisically. Though I like Duncan better than any of the others, Kareem is a better center- though not nearly as versatile.