1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why aren't Baptists more Ecumenical???

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by BillyMac, Apr 2, 2005.

1. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Amazing to me. If I read you correctly Kiffen you are one of the few Baptists that include part of Marks account of the “great commission”, and not afraid to admit it. An honest Baptist is hard to come by these days. Perhaps I am wrong, but for what other reason would you believe in “infant baptism”. Christian faith, ituttut.

2. Athanasian Creed

Athanasian Creed New Member

Perhaps a quote by Rodney Howard-Browne might help us understand how and why "Christians" can be so gullible and accepting of ecumenism:

"I'd rather be in a church where the devil and the flesh are manifesting than in a church where nothing is happening because people are too afraid to manifest anything. Every time there is a move of God, a few people will get excited, go overboard, and get in the flesh. Other believers will get upset, saying that couldn't be of God. Don't worry about it either. Rejoice because at least something is happening … If someone comes in the meeting, rolls around on the floor, laughs in the Holy Spirit, and does it in the flesh, at least he's not getting drunk or taking dope" (No Laughing Matter, p. 66).

In contrast,

"Any of it [teaching] that is good is in the Word of God, and any that is not in the Word of God is not good. I am a Bible Christian and if an archangel with a wingspread as broad as a constellation shining like the sun were to come and offer me some new truth, I'd ask him for a reference. If he could not show me where it is found in the Bible, I would bow him out and say, 'I'm awfully sorry, you don't bring any references with you'" (Counterfeit Revival, p. 67)
    - A.W. Tozer

"Unity must be ordered according to God’s Word, or else it be better war than peace"
    - Reformation Martyr Bishop of Worchester Hugh Latimer

IMO, ecumenism is the work of Satan - devised to bring about the "New World Order" in which all apostate denominations will be joined as one false religious system under Antichrist.

Christ said He didn't come to bring peace but division and a sword - necessary to distinguish good from evil, light from darkness, Christ from Belial. To those who follow Him in Spirit and in truth in the light of His Word alone He promises true, everlasting peace.

That we have Christians "aiding and abetting" the Roman Catholic "Church", the greatest hinderance and enemy the true Church of Christ has ever or willever have - espousing them as true Christians while, in actuality, they are apostates and antichrist of the nth degree. That we have Christians that endure heretics such as Benny Hinn and Robert Schuller, lauding people such as Mother Teresa as Christian though she was a universalist is a testament, sadly, to the lukewarm, gullible state of Christendom, especially here in North America, who are either ignorant of Scripture or disobedient to it's laws and precepts.

God help us all who call Christ Saviour and Lord to be able to discern what is of Him and what is not - IN LIGHT OF HIS HOLY WORD !! It is and always will be the final authority in the lives of those who seek to truly follow Him !

Sola Scriptura, Sola Fide, Solus Christus !!!

Ray

3. Kiffen

Kiffen Member

Where did I say I believe in infant baptism? :confused: I don't.

I am saying as a Calvinist Baptist I have more in common with Reformed Paedobaptists in regard to the Gospel than with most Baptists. In regard to Ecclesiology I have more in common with Baptists than Reformed Paedobaptists. That is the dilema of Reformed Baptists.

In regard to Ecumenism there is the Alliance of Confessing Evangelicals, an organization that unites Reformed Baptists, Reformed Presbyterians, Reformed Anglicans, and Lutherans who hold to the 5 Solas of the Reformation. All Ecumenism is not bad, the problem comes when Essential doctrine is throne into the trash pen.

4. ituttut

ituttut New Member

I'm not sure what areas you are talking about.

I believe we are in a war. I cannot find that Peter was accommodating to all, nor Paul, and certainly not Jesus. Are we to Stand for Something, Or Stand for Everything? Matthew 10:34, ”Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.”Christian faith, ituttut

5. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Amen! If only more could see this.

I just answered a post by Gershom, and had not yet read yours. If you read my post to Gershom, right before this one, I give a reference that you included in this post I am answering.

Don't know if we agree in many other areas but we certainly do on this subject. Christian faith, ituttut Galatians 1:11-12.

6. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

I am not at war with my brethren, whether Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian, Pentecostal, Arminian, Calvinist, Pre, Post, A, Preterist, Modernist, KJVO, etc, etc.

The OP spoke of other denominations.

7. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Where did I say I believe in infant baptism? :confused: I don't.

I am saying as a Calvinist Baptist I have more in common with Reformed Paedobaptists in regard to the Gospel than with most Baptists. In regard to Ecclesiology I have more in common with Baptists than Reformed Paedobaptists. That is the dilema of Reformed Baptists.

In regard to Ecumenism there is the Alliance of Confessing Evangelicals, an organization that unites Reformed Baptists, Reformed Presbyterians, Reformed Anglicans, and Lutherans who hold to the 5 Solas of the Reformation. All Ecumenism is not bad, the problem comes when Essential doctrine is throne into the trash pen.
    </font>[/QUOTE]My mistake regarding infant baptism Kiffen. As a dispensationalist of Paul’s gospel in a Baptist church, today it is the gospel sola, not under or attached to the law and ordinances of Moses in any manner. It is all vertical today. The brightest of Lights from heaven shined on Damascus Road.

The Word became man, and His people were to spread the gospel of the “great commission” to the whole world so His people could inherit the earth. The Son of God returned to heaven where He is alive and where He lives. The rulers of His people refused Messiah, His message, and the Holy Ghost. The message was given to the nation to spread.

He then gave a Gospel from heaven to a man of His people, Saul/Paul. It is no longer a one nation of the earth gospel across the world or the works of the world. It is now a personal and direct from heaven gospel on earth to each individual for movement up to be in His Body by the Grace of God that comes through Christ Jesus alone. God tells us this New gospel is to be given to the Gentile for they will hear it. We then became the one’s to spread this New gospel of Grace. But God says it will be as in the days of Noah in the end.

I am not of the ecumenical gospel, but am glad it is picking up steam. The faster the better I say, for this gospel will bring the rapture, and then the ecumenical with embrace the one that will become known after our rapture, as those days of Noah fast approach. Christian faith, ituttut

8. Baptist Vine

Baptist Vine Member
    Site Supporter

You are following the Lord truly.

Your group is not an ecumenical prayer group. It is a Christian prayer group.

Amen.

What passes for the doctrine of separation in far too many cases is hair splitting, and refusal to acknowledge others as believers over disputable matters.

People deliberately pick what attitudes of the heart they will favour, and deliberately choose separation over unity. Jesus did not command it.

9. ituttut

ituttut New Member

I am not at war with my brethren, whether Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian, Pentecostal, Arminian, Calvinist, Pre, Post, A, Preterist, Modernist, KJVO, etc, etc.

The OP spoke of other denominations.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I am tolerant, but not ecumenical. Neither am I at war with any “Christian”, but at war with those that frustrate our spreading the “good news” of the Cross preaching of “believe on the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved”. Christians are in the churches. If the churches, i.e. all the denominations all join and are in harmony in all things, that means the churches will have to change to just one way of believing how they are saved. Do any of the churches believe like the Baptist? So do we believe all churches will believe as we Baptists, of Once Saved Always Saved just by believing on His name? It is a World Church that is coming, and my bets are on the denominations going back to the mother church.

Christians will remove themselves from these churches when the Christian faith is no longer believed by their denomination. What do I have to do with the Catholic church, church of Christ, or others, viz. those that believe “you must repent and be water baptized to be saved for the remission of sins”? The Christians in those churches will remove themselves, just as Christians in the Baptist church will remove themselves, for Christians do not believe they receive remission of sins in this manner.

Most in the Baptist church say they believe in the “great commission”, but they don’t, for many are ignorant of what the “great commission” contains, or they misapply His Word, or fear condemnation. The stronger belief of the Baptist church is we are saved By Grace, Through Faith, and Without Works. Should the Baptist church turn from we are saved solely by the Grace of God, and join in faith with all the world that we now accept that faith now must include the work of the circumcision chuch, the Christians will leave. Will we be willing to suffer for our belief, or will we just roll over? Christian faith, ituttut

10. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Amen ituttut!