1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Why did God take 6 days?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by TomLaPalm, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Right, I mentioned that. So what context do you refer to in the post in question?

An Amil, or Catholic, for example, might view the first "day" as a reference to a period of time, rather than a 24 hour period.

God bless.

2. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was still understood what he meant.

God bless.

3. TomLaPalm

TomLaPalm Member

If "yown" or "yom," is a day or age, quite different meanings, Why would God take longer than required of Him to accomplish the same thing?

Perhaps He did it to influence change in those who witnessed the events

4. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If it an "age" then He would have had plenty of time, lol.

I think you said it, "He could have just done it all at once," or something along those lines, and as already stated, I view it to be a means of establishing a pattern.

Think about the Law: God could have created simpler ways to picture Christ. There didn't have to be ceremonies. But the picture in the pattern is a lesson for us.

And the six days tell us for sure that we should be Young Earth Creationists...

;)

God bless.

5. TomLaPalm

TomLaPalm Member

The Law is not a picture of Christ. Ir prepared a nation for Messiah. The Law was for Israel between Moses and Jesus.

6. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Law gives many, many pictures of Christ.

First picture presented is relationship to and with God.

Now, I want you to give this some serious thought, Tom, please do not dismiss what I am about to say offhand:

John 15

King James Version (KJV)

15 I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman.

2 Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.

3 Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.

4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.

5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

Now I will ask you a question: what is the vine which is not true?

I will tell you what I view it as: Israel.

And the thing about Israel is that it is tied to the Covenant of Law. Meaning, we don't separate the two.

That relationship was the means of relationship with God in that day. When Christ states "I am the True Vine," what He is saying is "I am the true source of relationship with God. I am the true source of the provision of God."

Paul uses a tree to present this same concept in Romans 11. The branches that are cut out, the natural branches, are those who, through unbelief, refused to abode in Christ.

So the first picture we see in regards to the Law, which is specific to Israel, is the relationship.

Here is the True Vine spoken of in the Old Testament:

Isaiah 42:6

King James Version (KJV)

6 I the Lord have called thee in righteousness, and will hold thine hand, and will keep thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, for a light of the Gentiles;

Check the context, in view is the Messiah Himself.

We simply do not have the (Covenant of) Law without Israel, and we do not neglect to notice this is a relationship between God and man. Israel is often spoken of as a chosen nation, but that is not accurate: they are a created nation. And they were created for a specific purpose, to be God's People.

Isaiah 43:1

King James Version (KJV)

43 But now thus saith the Lord that created thee, O Jacob, and he that formed thee, O Israel, Fear not: for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art mine.

Beyond that picture of Christ, we see many other "figures," or, shadows, or, parables of Christ in the Law.

For example, the veil of the Tabernacle (which itself is called a figure for the time then) pictures the means of true entrance to God, which is the flesh, or death of Christ. We see Him in the offerings of the Law in the Passover and the Day of Atonement. We see His Priesthood in Levitical Service. We see His Kingship.

And to bring this back to point, this is how I view the Six Days, as a picture, or, as some would say, a "picture prophecy."

God bless.

7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not sure of the purpose of this thread. Genesis describes the creation as differing events occurring in the sequence of 6 days, no matter the duration of those days. Was it to provide a model for setting aside one day in seven for the Lord? Just what does scripture say on this topic?

8. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And I think you meant "Law" as meaning statutes and ordinances, but, we have to clarify what we mean because we can use this term (Law) to refer to the Covenant, Scripture, and the basic concept of the regulations contained in the Covenant.

These are the three primary Biblical uses.

God bless.

9. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is the purpose of the thread, lol. To answer those questions.

God bless.

10. TomLaPalm

TomLaPalm Member

I think that was just used as an example to us, not the purpose of Creation sequence