1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why Did the Confederacy Lose?

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by KenH, Oct 14, 2007.

1. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Owens said:

[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, HELVETICA]A good account of the final days of the Confederacy is provided by William C. Davis in An Honorable Defeat: The Last Days of the Confederate Government. W.C. Davis gives much of the credit for the end of the war as it happened to John Breckenridge, former U.S. vice president and secretary of war for the Confederacy, with the connivance of Lee.
    [/FONT]

2. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

North Vs South
    One morning, three Southerners and three Yankees were in a ticket counter line at a train station. The three Northerners each bought a ticket and watched as the three Southerners bought just one ticket
    "How are the three of you going to travel on only one ticket?" asked one of the Yankees.

"Watch and learn," answered one of the boys from the South.

All six boarded the train where the three Yankees sat down, but the three Southerners crammed into a toilet together and closed the door. Shortly after the train departed, the conductor came around to collect tickets. He knocked on the toilet door and said, "Ticket, please." The door opened just a crack and a single arm emerged with a ticket in hand. The conductor took it and moved on.

The Yankees saw this happen and agreed it was quite a clever idea. So they decided to do the same thing on the return trip and save some money.

That afternoon when they got back to the station, they bought a single ticket for the return trip and watched, while to their astonishment, the three Southerners didn't buy even one ticket.

"How are you going to travel without a ticket?" asked a perplexed Yankee.

"Watch and learn," answered the three Southern boys in unison.

When they boarded the train, the three Northerners crammed themselves into a toilet and the three Southerners crammed into another toilet just down the way.

Shortly after the train began to move, one of the Southerners left their toilet and walked over to the toilet in which the Yankees were hiding. The Southerner knocked on the door and said, "Ticket, please."

BBob,

3. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Confederacy Lost?

Are you sure? This must be the levity forum. I have recently noticed(Oct. '07)
    a remarkable number of pick-up trucks flying Confederate battle flags guarded by pit-bulls in my neighborhood; also many descendants of Santa Anna. Remember the Alamo?

Why am I looking for more powder for my musket?

Who is on the Lord's side?

Selah,

Bro. James

#23 Bro. James, Oct 26, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2007
  4. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

:laugh: ...

5. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

If Lincoln was such a tyrant why did he instruct Grant to allow the Southern army to go home?

6. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

What I find interesting about the Civil War is the hardy people that had to endure the hardships of the war and then reconstruction.

7. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Ever try to feed an army --- taxing --- even on starvation diets!! In WW2---Allied forces were responsible for feeding prisoner of war soldiers---get this---4000 calories a day!!! My soul and body--thats steak at every meal---I'd raise my white flag if I knew I'd get a steak out of the deal!!!!

Besides

What was he gonna do?? Put um all in jail??

My question is

Why was not Confederate President Jefferson Davis put on trial for war crimes agains the United States??

Didn't he wind up going to Brazil or somethin'???

#27 blackbird, Nov 2, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2007
  8. North Carolina Tentmaker

He was, but the charges were eventually dropped. No he did not go to Brazil. He died in New Orleans in 1889. From Wikipedia:

9. betterthanideserve

betterthanideserve New Member

[, Lincoln made it an issue over slavery, but that was NOT what the South was fighting for, and the Stars and Bars are about Southern heritage, NOT racial seperation.

Any one here ever heard of the anti-mason movement?
    Just to refresh memories,there was an english preacher named Torrey,as a result of his numerous revival mettings many freemasons got saved and repudiated freemasonry. Their numbers went from the hundreds of thousands to the thousands,this happened around 1830's satan wasn't happy and I think iniciated(excuse spelling here) the civil war.......a comprimise was made and thruth be known we all lost......there was not a winning side in the civil war,the south was put in a hurt because of reconstruction,actually america was lost almost entirely at that time.

10. mondar

mondar New Member

I have seen some thought provoking threads in this link. In my opinion, a southern victory could have been achieved in only one of two ways.

The first way would have been an early strike into Washington DC to take over the capitol, and then invade up the east coast. In 1861 after Bull Run, the north was disorganized. Southern mentality after the battle was that it was sufficient to chase the northern army away. Had the south made a swift and decisive move before northern mobilization was accomplished, it might have swung northern political opinions. I admit that this possibility might be remote, it may have spurred northern resolve to more quickly mobilize and fight.

A second more likely method of success would have been not to fight at all. Parts of the south peacefully left the Union in December 1860 to Feb 1861. The north did not mobilize, or even mass the regular army. If the south had not fired on the Union regular army in the Charlston Harbor, it would have been a political issue and not a military issue.

There were several political issues that the south might need to be careful of. First, the federal postal service was still functioning throughout the south. Also, when tax time came the south would need to face issues.

The south could have received some major political bonuses had they not simply began the shooting. Let the Federal Government fire the first shots. Then the south could have made major points about the violation of human rights, etc. This seems to me like if political preparation was made, it may have further softened northern resolve. It may have affected the ability of the north to mobilize, and prosecute a war.

The problem with this scenario, is that the border states may have remained within the union.

I feel like I just had an argument with myself and lost?

11. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't buy that that would have made any difference. No one knows who fired the first shot in the American Revolution, and the Texians fired the first shot at Gonzales, but in neither case is a point made about "who shot first" and how that justified a war, or did not.