1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why do some Christian Churches Celebrate Halloween???

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by TaliOrlando, Oct 31, 2006.

1. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

rbell;
    It's amazing isn't it?
    Some people actually BELIEVE the scriptures.
    I know it's hard for some folks to accept that somebody in THIS modern world would believe something as antiquated as the scriptures, but there you have it in living color.
    There REALLY are people who take God seriously at His word.

2. rbell

rbell Active Member

So because I use drama in my ministry here...
    ...because I let my son dress up in "the armor of God" for our fall festival...
    ...because I allow my daughter to "play dress up" with a princess outfit...

...are you saying that I don't believe the scriptures?

3. standingfirminChrist

Since the armor of God is Spiritual and not natural, if your kids are Christian, they should be wearing it daily, not just once a year.

No, on halloween you do not let him dress in the armor of God, you put a costume on him. Big difference.

4. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

My son, the third year MDiv student -- his undergrad degree is in . . .

DRAMA.

Right now, he's in a production of 12th Night and preparing for a revival.

5. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando New Member

Good Morning!!! I was just thinking though..we critizize Benny Hinn, TD. Jakes, TBN Networks...because we believe that most of what they believe has background from the occult. However we are willing to allow our kids to participate in a Holiday that also has part of the occult. We use excuses that we can preach to people that way, that we dont teach our children the bad about Haloween, ext... but these are just excuses. Do you honestly believe that God is so desperate to save souls that he is willing to use wordly tactics. If something has a background of the occult...we can say.. ohh I dont focus on the dark things just the positive... however that is not from GOD. God doenst want to share you with anything dark and for us to say.. well we only focus on the positive things.. Can there be anything positive about something that is from the occult.

6. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

Hypocrit means actor therefore dressing up in a costume is a sin, oh brother :rolleyes:.

But then you can say anything you want when you ignore the context in which a word is used. When taken in context the warnings of hypocrisy apply only to those who seek to deceive concerning righteousness, not some person playing a part on a stage or kid, dressed as Superman, going around getting some candy. What is a sin is pretending to be righteous when you are not. Get it right folks. People dressing up is not a sin.

7. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

What context is there to read into? SFIC gave you specific definitions with specific sources. Do you have a rebuttal that cites another source that would refute what was stated?

Here's a couple more:

"HYP''OCRITE, n.
    1. One who feigns to be what he is not; one who has the form of godliness without the power, or who assumes an appearance of piety and virtue, when he is destitute of true religion. (Source: 1828 Webster's)

Hyp"o*crite (?), n. [F., fr. L. hypocrita, Gr. one who plays a part on the stage, a dissembler, feigner. See Hypocrisy.] One who plays a part; especially, one who, for the purpose of winning approbation of favor, puts on a fair outside seeming; one who feigns to be other and better than he is; a false pretender to virtue or piety; one who simulates virtue or piety. (Source: 1913 Webster's)

hypocrite
    one who puts on a mask and feigns himself to be what he is not;(Source: Easton's 1897)​

Therefore, when you are watching a play or a movie or television you are watching hypocrites. When you dress up your child in a costume representing something they are not, you are training them up to be hypocrites.

Whether or not it is a sin to be a hypocrite or to watch hypocrites, or to dress our children up as hypocrites, we will all have to make that judgement. However, I would submit that one is deceiving oneself if they are to make the claim that actors are not hypocrites.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

rufus, you are something else...

Well I guess I'm sinning by reading your posts, because you, av1611 and SFIC are pretending / acting like you are theologians who know how to exegete Scripture. Your posts are from the devil :laugh:

#68 webdog, Nov 2, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2006
  9. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

:rolleyes: sigh... I wasn't contesting the definition. I was contesting the subsequent interpretation and application.

Is Jesus talking about some kid running around in a costume or a person who will not acknowledge their own sin? He is talking about a person who will not acknowledge their own sin but wants to jump all over somebody else because of their sins.

Again he is admonishing somebody not because they dressed up and played a part but played at being righteous when they are not.

Here again we do not see Jesus condemning a person for dressing up, but for playing at being righteous when they are not.

While the word hypocrite can mean actor it is never used as a blanket condemnation for any person who dresses up or plays a part. In ever instance it is used to condemn a person who puts on airs about their righteousness.

10. rbell

rbell Active Member

SFIC...

we didn't celebrate halloween. We had a fall festival. My son dressed wore a breastplate, shield, sword, helmet, etc. He had the Ephesians passage monogrammed on his cape. I thought it was cute, and a good witness.

Perhaps you can re-read my post and see that I put "armor of God" in quotation marks. It's called a figure of speech. Figures of speech are a part of our daily lives. They are even in scripture.

If congress passes a ban authorizing torture, I'll be sure and let you know, so you can resume your work on logic.

Only on the BB would a person be maligned as "sinful" for allowing their kid to be a positive witness at a halloween alternative.

Only on the BB would someone make the crazy assertion that all drama and acting is sinful.

When this level of silliness is reached, I just have to laugh. :laugh:

Ron, I still consider you a pretty cool guy. This makes #4,291 in our list of disagreements. I hope that when you get to heaven, the mansion on your left is occupied by an actor, and the mansion on your right is occupied by a costume designer.

11. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

The Shakespeare play? The one were there's a woman cross-dressed as a man who loves a man but the man doesn't love her because he thinks she's a he and that same woman is loved by another woman because the other woman thinks she's a he?

12. rbell

rbell Active Member

a note of etiquette here...

If you're going to insult someone's son, at least have the decency to do it via PM.

show some class, please.

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Good luck...

14. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

The very last thing I want to be is a theologian, nor do I contend that I am one. I am a follower of Christ, nothing more, nothing less, hear to learn and to make arguments for what I believe to be truth.

Theologians take simple things and make them complex. I am so simple that I have to use scripture and dictionaries to define terms. Theologians are so strong they can take simple words and simple concepts with simple definitions and say "no that's not what that word really means", as they have their own self-created dictionaries in their heads. That's impressive and I don't have one of these.

I presume that you consider yourself to be a theologian and I must complement you as your post was very educational. It gave me a direct example of how a theologian should not argue with silly facts but rather demonstrate expert use of ad hominems. I thank you for the education :applause:

15. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

I did not insult anyone, I don't know anyone's son here.

I was inquiring as to whether or not that was the same play that I was familiar with or perhaps it was something else. If there was any insult it was directed at the Shakespeare play not towards any individuals.

If there was offense taken then I apologize.

16. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

The interpretation of the definition is that a hypocrite is someone who is trying to be someone they are not. Thus, some would conclude that it is best not to be a hypocrite.

I submit that you all are a bit sensitive over these issues. I am not jumping all over somebody else because of their sins. I am making an argument that it is wrong to be a hypocrite, spiritually or physically, actor or pharisee. If you disagree so be it, but why everyone takes this stuff so personally is a mystery, unless the message is striking a bit close to the heart.

In my view, acting is condemned for acting is the action of hypocrisy. Further, there is no instruction in the Bible for putting on dramas and there is no instruction for Christians to engage in worldly theater. There is damage being done to people by watching movies like Passion of the Christ, or Lord of the Rings or Chronicles of Narnia et al as these things are nothing but cunningly devised fables and yet some consider them Christian. Getting back to the heathen practices of Halloween all we are doing is having children play actor/hypocrite on a small stage and this in my view is wrong. If you disagree, so be it.

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So, when I'm not feeling well, but have to be someplace and put on a 'face' to look like something I'm not (well), then I'm sinning??

Ann

18. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Matthew
    6:16
    "Moreover, when you fast, do not be like the hypocrites, with a sad countenance. For they disfigure their faces that they may appear to men to be fasting. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward.
    6:17
    But you, when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face,
    6:18
    so that you do not appear to men to be fasting, but to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly.

One man changes his facial expression as a show of righteousness to men, the other changes his expression to show his righteousness to God. Both wore masks so to speak, but only 1 is a hypocrite.

19. rbell

rbell Active Member

R1611,

Hypocrite is a term of deception. An actor does not deceive anyone. We know that the actor and his/her character are two different people.

Let me take the absurdity further and show some logical conclusions:
    • Animation would not be inherently evil, since the actors aren't "real" and thus aren't "sinning." But live drama would be an abhorrent abomination, with all the "lying" and all. So watch bugs bunny and be blessed. Watch "the Waltons" and hellfire awaits.
    • Children playing "pretend" would be an abomination. When my two-year old girl plays "mommy" with her dolls, she is sinning against God...because she is a "hypocrite" by your definition.
    • One of my students was burned in a house fire several years ago. He had to wear a pressure mask. Thus, he was sinning, by your definition.
    See what can happen when you take the words of Jesus further than Jesus does? Pure silliness ensues.

20. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Phew! At least I now know I can watch 'Wresting' again! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ed