1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Why do some Reformed/Calvinist "pastors" advocate unbiblical evangelism?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Jan 4, 2014.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

2. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

3. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

4. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have not provided one quote or convincing proof of your assertion. Just mentioning names does not make something so.

5. Winman

Winman Active Member

So, you would rather stand in the street and yell at folks, even if NOBODY ever gets saved this way, than pick up kids in the neighborhoods in your town and see HUNDREDS of them accept Christ?

6. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can't dig up the books. But do you have the following books?

Disciplines of a Godly Man?
    Life Changing Bible Verses you should know?

7. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not look to results I look to the scripture. God brings forth his elect and graciously uses me to do so. Bus ministries have their place as well as Street evangelism. At BJU each was called to a different ministry and mine was street evangelism.

8. Winman

Winman Active Member

It's a good thing you don't care about results.

9. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You started the thread. You cited the names of individuals. It is your job to quote them in context. Otherwise you are making an unsubstantiated opinion.

10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps you should take a break from The Way of the Master and read Scripture apart from that lens. There is nothing wrong with the book or the method, in my estimation…but there is something wrong with placing such emphasis on its author and the method prescribed. Jesus did not always use “the Law” when dealing with people and sin. For example, with the Samarian woman He began by presenting the concept of “living water” and “eternal life.” As the conversation developed he identified Himself as the Messiah. But the sin in her life was something that she was apparently fully aware. Thisnumber is right, the witness of the woman was “friendship evangelism,” but so was the process in which Jesus Himself approached the woman. Paul, at Thessalonica, is presented in reasoning about the death and resurrection of Christ rather than focusing on the Law and sin. At the Areopagus, Paul is not seen trying to place the men of Athens under the Law. Instead he reasons with them within the context of their understanding (he even quotes Aratus) and explains repentance and judgment - but…interestingly enough, without convicting them “under the Law.”

I am interested in how you determine that only 1 of 10 people who come to faith via other methods are saved. This seems to be an absurd and unverifiable statement (and actually, contrary to the Word of God - salvation is not dependent upon method, even if MacArthur himself advocates a particular method).

11. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So what do you think of Philip's method of working with the Ethiopian?

12. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Wise advise. Hope he considers it.

13. Winman

Winman Active Member

Luk 10:38 Now it came to pass, as they went, that he entered into a certain village: and a certain woman named Martha received him into her house.
    39 And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus' feet, and heard his word.
    40 But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me.
    41 And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things:
    42 But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.

Actually, you don't see Jesus standing in the street yelling a people in the scriptures. Jesus entered into people's homes and taught from there.

14. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I doubt anybody can show you anything.

Uh, you might try posting some verses that have something to do with your claim that "friendship evangelism" is Biblical.

15. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbs::thumbs:

16. Winman

Winman Active Member

Jhn 1:40 One of the two which heard John speak, and followed him, was Andrew, Simon Peter's brother.
    41 He first findeth his own brother Simon, and saith unto him, We have found the Messias, which is, being interpreted, the Christ.
    42 And he brought him to Jesus. And when Jesus beheld him, he said, Thou art Simon the son of Jona: thou shalt be called Cephas, which is by interpretation, A stone.
    43 The day following Jesus would go forth into Galilee, and findeth Philip, and saith unto him, Follow me.
    44 Now Philip was of Bethsaida, the city of Andrew and Peter.
    45 Philip findeth Nathanael, and saith unto him, We have found him, of whom Moses in the law, and the prophets, did write, Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph.

Andrew didn't preach, but he found his brother Simon (Peter) and brought him to Jesus. Philip also found his friend Nathanael and brought him to Jesus.

17. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Well first of all, The Way of the Master twists Scripture to make their point. They selectively quote and apply in specious (and spurious) ways. So you're not winning this argument with "well Ray Comfort says..." Though I'm appreciative of good efforts to spread the Gospel, and though I am wary of Comfort, I happily partner with folks who use "Way of the Master" but refuse to bow to their legalism. There isn't ONE and only one BIBLICAL method of evangelism.

I'm not spending a lot of time here but I'll toss out these examples and move along:

- Just quoting from the OT isn't inherently quoting "the Law"...especially for the first century Jew. To quote "the Law" meant you would likely refer to the Pentateuch and then Mishnah and Talmud. I don't see Comfort pointing out either of those in his text.

- Secondly, the greatest sermon given (Matthew 5-8) is entirely devoid of direct OT citations. It calls people to a new ethic and new Kingdom yet doesn't quote from "the Law" at all.

- Thirdly, notice Paul's two examples of apologetic methodology (and ultimately evangelistic call) in Acts 17 and Acts 22. In Acts 17, Paul goes to a less than public place and uses their cultural signs to proclaim the Gospel. This includes quoting from a secular poem. Yet does not directly quote from OT Scripture. In Acts 22 he never quotes the OT and preaches among Jews not on a street corner.

- Fourth, Jesus' method of "evangelism" was to call others to Himself and to follow Him while casting off their worldly ideals.

- When, in Acts, it refers to Paul (or anyone else) referencing the "Law and the Prophets" that is Luke's way of saying the Old Testament. Since it was their only testament, and thus not old yet, it isn't inherently the Law.

- I don't have to work this out, but the nature of apostolic evangelization in the first century wouldn't have been on street corners and in open air proclamations like you're used to or think that is the only method. Frankly, given the persecution ongoing in the first century most evangelistic relationships were done person-to-person by inviting them into a house church or community. The exposure to the kerygma, the early preaching of Christ, was done personally more than publicly. We look to Paul's letters about this and think of 2 Corinthians 6:13; Ephesians 4:1-3; 1 Timothy 4:16; etc.

- Notice Acts 18:26, after Apollos had attempted to speak about Jesus he was taken into a home (not on a street corner) to be refined.

- Philip and the Ethiopian Eunuch from Acts 8:26-40 was not public proclamation but personal connection. BTW, just to point out, given Luke's understanding of the Law and the Prophets, the texts used to present the Gospel to the Ethiopian Eunuch are from the Prophets and not the Law.

- Also, in looking at Jesus' specific way of spreading the message about His own messianic mission, the Gospels seem to be taken with the reality that he did so by performing miracles, casting out demons, and healing people. I'd point to Matthew 4:23-25 and Mark 1:21-39 specifically.

I can go on but this is a start.

#37 preachinjesus, Jan 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2014
  18. thisnumbersdisconnected

I did. PiJ did. People who criticize it don't know what it is. It isn't "say a prayer and your saved" evangelism. It is evangelism that comes from the heart, genuine concern for others, a biblical perspective presented with love and respect for the non-believer, a time-consuming, at times frustrating, but ultimately rewarding experience for those who have spent time leading friends and family to Christ who have genuinely sought Him.

Of course, actually cultivating friends in the world without compromising your status as a non-citizen of the world is complicated. Some don't believe it's possible. They're wrong.

19. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    :wavey::applause::applause:...well :thumbs:said

20. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    :wavey: Exactly..who are what are you speaking of?