1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why do the lost attend church?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by christianyouth, Aug 29, 2007.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

We're all married ;)

2. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

could be that's where all the hot chicks are too :thumbs:

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

:laugh: :thumbs:
    That will make my wife's day.

4. standingfirminChrist

Hot chicks aren't found in churches... they are found in hell.

5. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I thought they were found at KFC! Yum! :laugh: :laugh:

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

edited to my sense of humor being asleep at the wheel

#26 webdog, Aug 29, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2007
  7. standingfirminChrist

it was a play on the word 'hot' webdog. Calm down

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

My apologies...I get it now :eek:

9. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

So good, Christian women are cold and unresponsive. Can you back that up with a scriptural reference?

10. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why do the lost attend church?

1) It's a way of life they've known that's hard to break.
    2) To please family members or others who expect it of them.
    3) For social, business, and, perhaps political, contacts.
    4) For positions of 'respect.'
    5) For a source of group activities.
    6) To apply otherwise little-used skills [singing, musical instruments, drama, other fine arts, public speaking].
    7) To have an institution over which one has (or 'feels') some control [i.e, by trying to push influence at business meetings or departmental committees].
    8) To keep reminding oneself one is not an atheist, or usually not even agnostic ["I must believe or I wouldn't do this"].
    9) To meet a significant other whom church influence may have molded into a model [the submissive woman/wife; the sensitive male leader].
    10) Because one is actually intending to get one's priorities right, even if that means grudgingly admitting one has not been a true believer.

11. Joe

Joe New Member

deleted post

#31 Joe, Aug 29, 2007
  12. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Salve their conscience believing God will be pleased with an hour or so on Sunday morning. Some are genuinely deceived about the nature of the gospel as well, believing the gospel to be a call to self-fulfillment (let me go and let the music make me feel good and the pastor's little ditty encourage me and make me laugh) instead of recognizing that the gospel is a call to self-denial, to a lifestyle change.

#32 Pastor Larry, Aug 29, 2007
  13. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I suspect many go to church because they enjoy the rock band, the fun of the service, the relevant and uplifting sermons on great sex, and being told how good they are. At one church the country music fans can go to a boot-scootin' service, followed by line-dancing lessons. Maybe it's the movies they show in the Sunday night service. Or the motivational "talks" by the "lead pastor." Maybe it's the trapeze artist performance or the clown show.

Or maybe it's because they're certain they won't hear any of that negative gospel preached. Gosh, there are a gob of good reasons, don't ya see?

14. booklady

booklady New Member

You believe that all lost people know they are lost? For years I thought I was saved because I had walked an aisle when I was 8 years old and was baptized. I think there are plenty of people who don't know they're lost. That doesn't mean they aren't accountable, though. It just means that we need to be about our Father's business and start telling them.

15. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

How do you tell someone who professes to be a Christian that they're lost? You can't possibly know that. That is between them and God.
    How did you find out that you were lost?

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I believe it was an attempt at humor as a play on words using "hot". Hell is "hot"...get it?

17. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Thats why I do not baptize small children. I doubt you were lost until you came to the age of accountability. When did you realize you were lost or at what age?

Rom 1:21Because that, when they knew God, they glorified [him] not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

Jhn 15:22If I had not come and spoken unto them, they had not had sin: but now they have no cloke for their sin.

There is a difference of someone telling about Jesus and really come to the Knowledge of God.

John 3:
    16: For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    17: For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
    18: He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
    19: And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
    20: For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.
    21: But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

Act 17:30And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

Hbr 8:11And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.

Jhn 1:9[That] was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.

That "light" tells us what we are. When you come to "know" God, why do you think you realized you were not saved?

You don't believe there will be people in hell, that don't know why they are there do you?

#37 Brother Bob, Aug 30, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2007
  18. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Well, what is the definition of lost? Someone who can't find their way. Some lost people come to church to find their way, to find love, peace, a life that is better than the one they have now. They are not outsiders or second class citizens. They're just like you were or I was at some point.

love,

Sopranette

19. gerald285

gerald285 New Member

Most churches today preach such a watered down gospel, which is not gospel, that the lost find comfort in the church. They are as good as the person setting beside them since most who profess to be Christians look, act, and sound like the world so why would the lost not want to be in church? The church today has great social functions and that can be a great draw for the lost and they never have to be convicted about their sin.

20. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

"Why would the lost not want to be in church"

Well, why would anybody here not want the lost in church? I can't shake the feeling many people here think their church is NOT for reaching out to the lost, but is for believers, only.

love,

Sopranette

#40 Sopranette, Aug 30, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2007