1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why do the lost attend church?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by christianyouth, Aug 29, 2007.

1. booklady

booklady New Member

After going back and reading this I realized that it sounded as though I was saying that we need to tell those who don't know they are lost that they are lost. I didn't mean it that way. Of course we can't really know for sure if someone is lost. What I meant was that we need to be spreading the gospel and let the Holy Spirit work.

To answer someone else's question, I realized I had never truly been saved while in a church service when I was 20.

2. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Thanks for clarifying that point. I was 42 at that time in my life. Believe it or not, there are those on this board, and not few in number, that truly believe they have the divine insight to make a definitive call on another's salvation. It would not surprize if some were graduates from seminary. Unbelievable.

3. standingfirminChrist

The Bible does say 'By their fruits ye shall know them,' and 'Out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaketh.' I believe that applies to Christian and non-Christian alike.

If you listen to people long enough, their words and actions will show whether they are Christian or not.

One who curses without feeling the least bit conviction, one who lies without conviction, one who steals, etc., there is a good indication that that one is not saved.

In contrast, 'Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfill the lusts of the flesh.'

One who is saved is going to act saved. Sure, that one may fall from time to time. But the saved one will feel conviction. The saved one will turn back to God for forgiveness.

4. standingfirminChrist

Look at Peter and John in the book of the Acts of the Apostles. People knew they were saved. Even the lost knew it. Elyamus the sorcerer sought to buy the gift of the Holy Spirit from them.

If the lost can identify the saved, why is it not possible for the saved to recognize the saved? If we are not acting like the world, it should be easy to tell who one serves.

5. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

When I look back to my conversion, yes, I certainly see that even in my "pre-saved" life God was preparing me. For example, as a choirboy in the Church of England, I got to learn the psalms almost off by heart, and, via the anthems we endlessly practised and sang, many other portions of scripture, too ("Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which, according to his abundant mercy....", "For in the wilderness shall waters break out...", "From the rising of the sun unto the going down of the same....", "Greater love hath no man than this....", and many more).

However, I did not realise I was lost and in need of salvation, because, as I said, we were always given the impression that we were already Christians because we had been "baptised" as babies. We even sang a hymn:

I was made a Christian
    When my name was given;
    One of God's dear children,
    And an heir of heaven.

I am not saying that God suddenly "flashed the truth upon me" in an instant, as He did with Paul on the road to Damascus, but nor do I believe it was mere chance that my Christian friend gave me his testimony. That friend was the "channel" God used through which I heard the true gospel.

6. suedonny

suedonny New Member

on hot chicks

well that happened to me the men who treated me bad, and Im sixty..I understand that it happens sometimes...some arent all that pious believe me..read my post:love2:

7. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I think the lost attend church because many churches invite the lost and make their service attractive to the lost.

8. 4boys4joys

4boys4joys New Member

This thread is very interesting. I wanted to share something that no one here may have thought about.

I went to Church beacuse I was taught as a child that there is where you did anything serious with God. If you had a "BIG" sin in your life or needed help from God you asked at church. Before I was saved I went to church looking for help and no one really reached out and answered any questions. I felt like I was just put in a receiving line of people who were not members and just copied what they did. Yes it will make you feel better for a while but it does not change you.

When I was 20 years old I decided to read the Bible on my own. I was tired of hearing what man thought. I just wanted to know how God felt about me and why I was here. After a week of reading the New Testament I was under conviction. I could have received Christ there but I waited until Sunday because I thought I had to do this at church. Chruch was universal to me so I walked to the church that was two houses down from me on my block. I held on to the pew as if I was going to slip into hell as the people danced and worshipped and spake in "tounges". I did not care I just wanted to get saved. At the alter call I went forward and prayed and I know I was saved.

I do not go to that type of church I was in because they told me that I had to speak in tounges or I was not saved. Once I had the spirit inside I understood that this was not Bible and I beacme a Baptist thru a true work of God. Another great story.

The point is this. You do not know why a lost person is there and we should be sensitive to the spirit and reach out to all who come regardless of the condition of they are in spiritually. There may be a lost person there who just needed someone to come and talk to them and ask if there was something they needed today. There may be a Christian who needed encouragement because they are not right with God and personal attention may be all they needed to ask for counsel or help.

We should come to feed and get fed. Be led by the spirit. If a there are lost people there, God's people should be more than willing to hear the Gospel one more time so other's could be saved. Some Christians need the spiritual food of seeing other's come to Christ more than any other kind of food they could get from a service. No it may not be the primary reason to meet but I feel it is the primary training ground to learn how to lead others to Christ. And if not at our own Church then where.

There are alot of people who were raised with the same belief or reasoning I had. No church, no dealing with God. Please remember that because you could really help someone who wants spiritual help.

9. jellico25w

jellico25w New Member

Well hopefully, they were drawn:Joh:6:44: No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him. But their are many who come in to bring in damnable doctrine.2Pe:2:1: But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.
    2Pe:2:2: And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of.
    2Pe:2:3: And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not. 1Tm:4:1: Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
    1Tm:4:2: Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;2Co:11:13: For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.
    2Co:11:14: And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.
    2Co:11:15: Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.They also flood Christian Message boards, not just the church. Grace be to you and peace, jellico.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...which in turn lead to the lost hearing the Gospel of Jesus Christ*

*in a true Bible believing church