1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why does evil not have to be eliminated anymore?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Nov 19, 2006.

1. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

In the old testament the jews had to eliminate all evil among themselves. And the other tribes in the area which were also evil had to be eliminated, too. If it was so important to eliminate evil and to keep it from spreading then why are christians not supposed to kill witches and other evil people anymore? Somehow it's hard to reduce this to a common denominator. In the old testament God ordered these things and in the new testament Jesus advertises peace and tells us to pray for our enemies. Why didn't God directly tell the jews to pray for their enemies in the old testament?

I just came across this here.
    It throws up a lot of questions. Israeli schoolchildren were asked wether Joshua had the right to kill the other people at the battle of Jericho. 66% of the children said yes and they named different arguments.
    Then he exchanged the names Joshua (General Lin) and Jericho (chinese kingdom) and put in other names and asked a different group the same question but now the question had no link to the bible anymore and then only 7% said that General Lin had the right to inhabit the chinese kingdom and kill the people!
    This shows that people judge things differently when they have to do with their religion. And I think this is really true. You will not find a christian who would condemn anything which is in the bible. But if somebody else did something like what the jews did in the bible then most christians would condemn it. Isn't this hypocritical? I mean what if we do not really agree with what God ordered the jews to do but we simply deny our real thoughts because we simply feel like we have to agree with God but basically what the jews did goes against our own feeling of justice? I think if this guy had done this test with me I would have reacted exactly the same way. I would have named exactly the same reasons why Joshua had the right to do it and in the different scenario I would also have said that General Lin did not have the right to do it. But where exactly is the difference between this and moslems which think that they have the right to kill all unbelievers? They are as convinced of being right as the jews are of being right. Somehow this really makes religion look like the root of all problems. :(
    The original text is here, if you want to read it:

#1 xdisciplex, Nov 19, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2006
  2. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Cain deserved the sentence of death, but God still spared his life, and granted him opportunity for repentance.

Cain only hardenrf his heart, and he encouraged rebellion against God's divine authority, and to become the head of a line of bold, evil-minded sinners.

Cain tempted others; and his example and influence exerted their demoralizing power, until the earth became so corrupt that it had to be destroyed....

By allowing Cain to live God showed the world what would happen should sinners not be punished and killed.

Severity to a few may prove mercy to many.

Being "kind" to those bent on sin seems to be a kindness but in the end is not. Prov:12:10: the tender mercies of the wicked are cruel.

#2 Claudia_T, Nov 19, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2006
  3. billwald

billwald New Member

Because Jusaism evolved into a more civilized religion. The alternative is the Islamic form of justice. Islam did not evolve into a more civilized religion.

4. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Were all the evil tribes related to Cain and his offspring?

@ billwald

What do you mean with "evolve"?

5. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    #1 - Where did you get the idea that the city of Jericho is "the Chinese kingdom"??

#2. Israel was a THEOCRACY - that means God was King and God's rules applied. Kinda like heaven is a Theocracy and there aint no Sabbath breakin' going on up there.

The point is that the rules under a National Theocracy are very different than normal national civil laws.

God held his own people to certain standards - but he did not send Israel out to China, or Japan, or Africa or Egypt or America to "kill cannibals".

In Christ,

Bob

6. billwald

billwald New Member

evolve - common definition - to change over time.

How does anyone propose to eliminate evil? Nuke all the "-Stans?"

7. dispen4ever

dispen4ever New Member

That's a fascinating discussion, xdx. The short answer is that you must deal with what is in the bible, not make up alternative scenarios and then attack the bible using them as your weapon. God is God, what is written is written. Your purpose is 1) receive Christ as Savior, 2) follow him daily. While I am pleased that you are looking at scripture, I must say that hypothetical manipulation of scripture leads to nowhere. :godisgood: