1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why don't Baptists agree?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by natters, Mar 21, 2005.

1. natters

natters New Member

Why don't baptists agree more? Why are there so many debates about not only little things, but also about doctrine?

2. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Most Baptists agree on the essentials. Its alot of things that dont matter that we disagree on. Like "how many angels can dance oh the head of a pin". I guess passionate debate induces study.

3. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

I believe, that many people claim to be Baptists that were catholic, methodist, and/or nothing at all. If one can be comfortable with Catholicism and then Methodist or pentecostal, it must be difficult for Baptists to meet their theological needs.

I am meeting more and more Baptists that are on their 4th denomination after becoming a Christian.

4. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The Baptist congregational style of church governance that allows for autonomy of the local church on policy, polity and doctrine is a large part of the reason.

5. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree Gold Dragon,

Wherever two or three Baptists gather...

...there are bound to be three or four different opinions.

The differences may be lead by the beliefs that make the Baptists distinct: THE BAPTIST DISTINCTIVES

In particular these three:

A -Autonomy of the Local Church

P -Priesthood of the Believer

I -Individual Soul Liberty

Rob

6. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because of the "priesthood of the believer" aspect of our distinctives primarily.

We emphasize the responsibility of the individual in what we believe whereas maybe the polar opposite would be Catholics who tend to respect the authority of the church to tell them what to believe.

There are probably times when we don't show the respect for the authorities (teachers/pastors) that God has placed in our lives as much as we should or appreciate their responsibility for us before God. However, I think we are the closest to the biblical model for the NT church.

7. natters

natters New Member

Should Baptists agree more? How can we make this happen, or is it too late?

8. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

natters,
    There are really only two religions in this world. GRACE OR WORKS Either salvation is all God or it is all man with maybe a little God involved.

9. natters

natters New Member

10. CYBERDOVE

CYBERDOVE New Member

The reason so many baptists disagree is mostly due to [ in my opinion ] a user friendly doctrine being taught from many pulpits. Baptist r being taught with a politically correct slant, GOD is LOVE, ---which HE is---but not about their sins or GODS WRAITH, u don't want to offend anyone now do u!! [​IMG]

11. chandler

chandler New Member

Because we are human and we see through a mirror dimly....

12. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

natters

God predestined him to choose that statement ... it was important that the statement not make sense ...

13. Baptist Vine

Baptist Vine Member
    Site Supporter

Because always disagreeing can be one way for some people to create what feels for them to be great meaning or purpose. Sad to say. Part of this is in response to radical quacky movements that have resulted in chaos. A rational analytical approach, using the scripture is best, so more must be even better. But for some people, in some cases at least, this otherwise excellent philosophy breaks down, and before you know it, you have knit picking and too much disagreement.

It's true that there will some people, hopefully most, who will manage to agree on the 'essentials', but sometimes that is not the case either, ie witness KJV-only-ism, other isms; some people saying for example that the Purpose Driven series are new age because the author did not solely quote from someones favourite translation.

I'm not knocking detailed analysis, debate, or rational approach using the scripture, tradtional baptist approaches, and excellent. But even that good can be abused, and in those cases where it is, you can have discord. Otherwise mere disagreement, or varied or even many different opinions are not wrong as long as there is grace.

14. DeaconLew

DeaconLew New Member

Most folks that call themselves Baptist have not the slightest idea of what a Baptist is. They think it is just another Protestant denomination. Baptist's were never protestants. We were never part of the Catholic whore (Rev 17)! They burned us for not siding with them.

Why do Baptist disagree, some if not most spend too much time chumming up with the Devil. They spend too much time in front of the t.v. (tormenting vulture) allowing Hellywood and Soap Operas and Conservative (Catholic) talk show hosts to shape their world view. One might say "That's a bit harsh to say!" I have been in public street ministry for 10 years. I have heard every excuse in the book among Baptists; everything from "Jesus drank wine..." to "it's ok to fornicate cause we love each other." Why do Baptist disagree, well just wait till after this post and you will see why. There will be someone all up in arms cause I have said what I said, and yet they by their very attitude will justify every word said here.

I have seen believers (I dare not say they are unsaved, just unbiblical) say things like "Taking the chip (VeriChip) would be just fine for me." No the VeriChip is not the mark of the Beast. But that is beside the point. The point is the technology is that much closer to fulfilling bible prophecy concernign the mark; that will be "in" not "on" do not be deceived. We are so in the last days that one, if they were honest and did not spend so much time smoking themselve, could smell the sulfer of Hell all around. They can hear the very gallop of that white horse with the King of Glory riding it, getting ready to destroy this world with the brightness of His coming. Why do Baptist disagree very, very simple:

Hosea 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children

True knowledge can only come from God's word, perfect in every jot and tittle, and a life dedicated to following it's precepts wholly.

What say ye?
    -DeaconLew

15. Michaelt

Michaelt Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I say this post just reminds me of a story...something about molt and a beam...lol

I call myself christian, because I don't want to be strapped with a "denominational" label. I worship at a baptist church because I believe the bible to be true and I believe this church does as well.

16. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tradition!

And it's an old one, even apostolic...

Acts 15
    2 When therefore Paul and Barnabas had no small dissension and disputation with them, they determined that Paul and Barnabas, and certain other of them, should go up to Jerusalem unto the apostles and elders about this question
    38 But Paul thought not good to take him with them, who departed from them from Pamphylia, and went not with them to the work.
    39 And the contention was so sharp between them, that they departed asunder one from the other: and so Barnabas took Mark, and sailed unto Cyprus;
    40 And Paul chose Silas, and departed, being recommended by the brethren unto the grace of God.

17. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Why don't Baptists agree?

Carnality.

Am I carnal? Sometimes, I am. [​IMG]

Does that make my assessment untrue? Nope!

It is carnality that drives the notion, "I got the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth."

It is carnality that drives the notion, "I can believe what I want."

That is why Baptists disagree.

In HIS service;
    Jim

18. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

I understand the frustration of the question asked at the head of this thread. I've often wondered how people could actually find it possible to disagree with me.
    [​IMG]

And its not just baptists. Catholics, Jews, and atheists disagree with me too, from time to time. What IS this world coming to?

19. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

TO: Paul of Eugene
    RE: Paul of Tarsus

It's got to be the name "Paul," I guess.

Anyway, Paul has a lot to say about our speaking, much of which is found in Ephesians 4:25-32. I'll not quote the passage since I believe we can all read it on our own. However, I'll just mention a couple things that derive from that passage especially as it pertains to the "agreeing/disagreeing" matter.

As many of the previous postings have indicated, there are lots of reasons why people, Baptists in particular, seem to have more that they disagree on rather than that which they DO agree about.

Maybe it's because of our human nature that we naturally seem to be more drawn to say or post something because we DISAGREE with Brother So-And-So (or Sister What's-Her-Name) just got through saying or posting. After all, what would be the sense of having a "debate" if there were nothing to debate?

And, it seems like Baptists just love a good old "rock'em, sock'em, no-holds-barred" scrap now and then. Like the old deacon who was furious as he walked out of the big ice rink: "I paid good money to see a fight, and what happens? A hockey game breaks out!!"

Anyway, I find it some times edifying to read other's views on items that the Bible just isn't really clear on.

But then there are times when I find it embarassing to read some of the things people post, all in the name of "debating" and asserting that they [and maybe they alone] have somehow cornered the market on "The Truth About..." whatever. And most of the time it's really about matters that, when it's all boiled down to it, probably aren't actually that important when it comes to the great issues of eternity.

Debates are fine, and often they DO serve a useful purpose, but I'm really wondering if that's what our principal goal in life should be.

Does it REALLY matter to those that are oppressed by their radical Islamic powers whether the Textus Receptus is THE ONLY pure text?

Does it REALLY matter to the starving and homeless Christians in, say, the Sudan whether or not we ought to allow CCM music in our worship services?

Does it REALLY matter to people whose very lives are being snuffed out at the hands of an oppressive North Korean regime whether Christ was actually born on December 25?

Or to those children left without parents because of the recent tsunami over in Asia whether we should attend a "Purpose-Driven" church or not?

Yes, debates can be useful if they are conducted in a reasonable manner and serve some thing greater than merely proving your point.

But, some how, some way, I kinda think it's more important that we "be about our Father's business," "and even more so as you see the day approaching."

"Ye SHALL be My witnesses [not my debating society]...unto the uttermost part of the earth."

My friends, instead of debating over whether Billy Graham is out of God's will because he's compromised due to the fact that he's invited people on the platform at some of his crusades that maybe you wouldn't have preach from your pulpit, why don't we just get on with the business of reaching the unreached, caring for the unlovely, and ministering to a lost, dying, and hell-bound world of sinners?

20. Mommyperson

Mommyperson New Member

We disagree because we are busy trying to be right in our interpretation of scripture.
    I do think discussions bring about the desire to study more, but debates tend to fuel tempers and bring forth angry responses. Debates should never become finger-pointing sessions, but they do..it's a mad circle. A circle the flesh loves to indulge in.

When debates get out of hand the flesh is the motivator, not God.

How can we stop it? We can stop it by choosing NOT to take part in angry replies or topics we know will fuel the fleshly pull into sin,by choosing to season our words, so they build up and correct with love, helping those whose walk might not be as firm as that of a seasoned believer.

We are to be a beacon to others.. I've found some messages with little light and sadly little love shared...but plenty of flesh.

It all comes down to choice.

I choose to NOT hurt,point a finger at,blame, shame, nor tear down..if I have something to say, I'll keep it short,sweet and to the point, backed with scripture and seasoned with plenty of love.

James 4:11-12 speaks volumns.