1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why is it always one sided?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Phillipians121, Jan 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

Please tell me why on earth you do not believe black Americans are not glad they are Americans? Please tell me how black people are not taking advantage of their "God-given talents and abilities"? This is purely RACIST HOGWASH! Racist hogwash that cannot be proven I might add.

Oh, I forgot, you have "black friends" ;) :thumbsup:

#61 Filmproducer, Jan 15, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2007
  2. Rachel

Rachel New Member

:D Filmproducer :thumbs: :wavey:

3. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

God will not judge us by the color of our skin, but by the color of our sin...

Phillipians: Watch The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman and Mississippi Burning and you just 'might' understand where 'victim mentality' comes from.

I know a lot of white folks who have a 'victim mentality'. Their numbers are legion. It is not limited by race. The media just makes sure we hear about the blacks having it while ignoring the other races that have the same thing.

IMHO, this whole thread reeks of racism and should be deleted.

Blessings on ALL God's people!
    §ue

4. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Sue, it does reek of racism, but I disagree it should be deleted. Let peoples hateful and racist attitudes be on display. Maybe it will educate some.

5. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They were blasted as they should have been. That was some of the dumbest mess I have ever witnessed... especially the mess that came out of Kanye's mouth. Hijacking a prime time television commercial and making your white co-star look like a fool even though he was trying to help just as you were, just so you can take the most horrific natural disaster in American history of unimaginable scale and turn it into some type of racist issue ("George Bush doesn't care about black people") is not honorable, intelligent, truthful, or anything other than simply continuing to fit within a certain stereotype to certain people.

6. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My only problem with the black community nowadays is that "equal" and "same" has somehow morphed into "special". For example:

Why can't we have "white" fraternities?

Why can't we have "white" magazines?

Why can't we have "white" scholarships?

Why aren't there laws saying that businesses must hire a certain percentage of white folks, regardless of whether they can actually find a qualified candidate?

Why can't we have the "white Miss America pageant"?

What about "The White Entertainment Channel" on cable?

These things are not the "same". I don't have a problem with "the same".

#66 corndogggy, Jan 15, 2007
  7. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Time to find a new attorney?

From the Virginia statutes, Title 18, Secion 2-57:

8. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course, this is not true. I have close friends who are black, and they are hard-working as hard-working can be. I've been to black homes in black neighborhoods in DC which are clean, well-kept, decent, and obviously homes to God-fearing people.

But you can say the above of most rappers in the black music industry who set the tone for how the younger folks think, act, talk, sing, and move.

They're one of the scourges of black people.

9. drfuss

drfuss New Member

rsr writes:
    "Quote:
    Originally Posted by drfuss
    If a white kills a black because he is black, it is a hate crime. However, if a black kills a white, it is not considered a hate crime. Hate crimes can only be committed against minorities. An attorney explained this to me.

Time to find a new attorney?

From the Virginia statutes, Title 18, Secion 2-57:

Quote:
    A. Any person who commits a simple assault or assault and battery shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor, and if the person intentionally selects the person against whom a simple assault is committed because of his race, religious conviction, color or national origin, the penalty upon conviction shall include a term of confinement of at least six months, 30 days of which shall be a mandatory minimum term of confinement.

B. However, if a person intentionally selects the person against whom an assault and battery resulting in bodily injury is committed because of his race, religious conviction, color or national origin, the person shall be guilty of a Class 6 felony, and the penalty upon conviction shall include a term of confinement of at least six months, 30 days of which shall be a mandatory minimum term of confinement. "

The hate crime laws were passed in the US Congress. It is a federal law. I was not referring to any state laws.

My question came up when the two blacks were shooting people in the Washington D.C. area a number of years ago. Malvo admitted to someone that they were out to shoot white people and they shot one black person to throw the police off. When the question about this being a hate crime was asked, I was told hate crimes only go one way.

Although I remember the hate crime laws being passed in Congress, I have no way now of verifying the one way nature of U.S. hate crime laws.

10. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

I can't believe this thread is still going on this morning. But since it is:

Why can't we white's have _______? Can you prove to me that we don't?

Do you realize what you are espousing? Separate but equal. It didn't work in our public schools, nor does it work in the vast majority of public arenas. Separate but equal does not encourage a united country.

Let's look at reality. I may be older than you so I may have a different view of reality than you. I lived through the separate water fountains, black folk who had to come to the back door of my uncle's restaurant and segregated schools. I was in downtown Detroit during the riots of the time. I was also in the deep south, "heart of Dixie" during as things were slowly beginning to change. White folk are stubborn. They don't change willingly.

Let's look at some of my experiences starting with the back door thing. When I asked my mother why there were folks coming to the back door, know what she said: Because they are black. Black? Yep, black people are different than white people. I was about 4 at the time, but I fully understood that somehow the dark skin on those people meant they weren't in the same class as us. That they were somehow dirty or didn't hold the same values as we whites did. Awfully young to begin the indoctrination was I?

It gets worse: There were canine units in the elevator of the Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit when I was 5 and severely ill. Why were they there? To keep out the bad black people. I knew about the riots, hard to keep that even from a child as young as I. I also knew that my parents and the majority of their white friends thought black people should be "kept in their place." Guess who my room mate in the hospital was? A young black girl from Alabama who was there to have some sort of eye surgery that couldn't be performed down south. Times were beginning to change and I learned very quickly that week in the hospital that really, there isn't much difference between white and black except the color of our skin. The differences are deeper and have nothing to do with skin color and everything to do with whether or not a person is submitted to Christ. If we want to talk differences, this is where we need to start, does the person in front of me know Jesus? Not, is the person in front of me a different color.

Now while this was going on, how many black folk did I see on TV? it was rare until the late 70's. No one would hire a black entertainer. You imply we should be separate but equal, but can separate be equal? Black ladies on Miss America? Should we really have two separte pageants? How much sense does that make, logically? White only fraternities? White only magazines? Scholorships? You'll have to prove to me that these don't exist, because the reality is that even in my little town we have a school that is so predominately white that it is nearly pure as driven snow and it has only been since my children entered school that there was even a mixed race child that attended. But you know the schools that are winning all the awards? The one that is predominately black and has a black principal who understands the struggles faced by black families, and the one that is racially diverse according to the population levels of the community and has a white principal who is effective in teaching children from all economic and racial groups and making them into a team.

We as a country need to stop dividing ourselves along racial/cultural lines and get back to becoming Americans. Proud, united in a comman goal, AMERICANS! We should celebrate our diverse talents because it is these talents that allow us to be the greatest nation on earth! (sorry, bit of nationalist pride here) If we allow ourselves to become again "separate but equal" what good will it have accomplished?

And Christians have absolutely no business judging someone on the color of their skin! What does the Bible say on this issue: Eph 6:9And, ye masters, do the same things unto them, and forbear threatening: knowing that he who is both their Master and yours is in heaven, and there is no respect of persons with him.

#70 menageriekeeper, Jan 15, 2007
  11. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

Black college scholarships do not bother me. Music scholarships do not bother me. Any specialized academic or athletic scholarship does not bother me. There are multitudes of Christian organizations on college campuses, as well as math clubs, social clubs, music clubs, etc. Just because it is the black student union does not mean that a white person cannot join. The BSU at UK where I attended had a few white members. It is all about getting together with people who share your same interests. Face it on many college campuses African Americans account for maybe 2- 5% of the students. Why is it a problem for there to be a group where they can get together and encourage one another and socialize? BTW, there are many white only fraternities and sororities, but they are NOT considered racist. It is not that minorities cannot join, it is that they don't. The same goes for black student unions. All of these groups are meant to serve the interests of those who are members. One of the Christian organizations, when I was at UK, organized some sort of Olympics, where students could come and have fun, compete, and maybe hear the gospel. The black student union raised money, with the Student Activities Board, to bring Desmond Tutu to the campus to speak. This was for anybody that was interested in hearing him speak, not just BSU members. The sororities and fraternities have Greek week. Honestly I do not see a problem.

As far as the black congressional caucus is concerned, for a VERY LONG time African Americans were not represented in government at all. The government was run by white men. Do you know when or why the CBC was created? It's original 13 members joined together in 1969 to ensure that the African American community was properly represented. They wanted to influence domestic and international legislation so that it achieved equality of persons. They have typically stood at the forefront of all civil liberty legislation with other Congressional leaders, even if it was not specifically racial. It was basically created to make sure that those who were previously disenfranchised, or are disenfranchised, by the government, had/have a voice in government. The African American members of Congress are basically joined to make sure they properly represent these people. There are only 46 members today, and why they are typically Democrat, it is not like they can seriously sway a vote. I believe they consider themselves more like the "conscience" of Congress, when it comes to civil liberty issues. (I believe I had heard that phrase used before. It might even be on their website-
    http://cbcfinc.org/About/CBC/index.html

As far as Jet and Ebony. I view them as special interest magazines. Just as I view the Source magazine as a special interest magazine, or Vogue as a special interest magazine. All of these magazines have a target audience, just as every other magazine or newspaper does. Have you ever read Jet or Ebony? They deal with things that happen in the African American community, but white people are not necessarily excluded. These magazines highlight those who are successful in the African American population, I would think that would be a good thing. African Americans have a higher rate of poor people in proportion to their population size, so I generally view anything that highlights successful African Americans as positive. If they didn't have these magazines and waited for other magazines to highlight these people, it would not happen as often or as quickly. Good Housekeeping or People magazines, for example, target a more diversified population, therefore their content has to be more diversified.

Since you have a problem with things with "BLACK" in the name, do you have a problem with music scholorships? What about the Baptist Student Union? Why is it okay for these people to meet in specialized groups, but not black people? Honestly what is the big deal?

12. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

Again you need another lawyer. The 1969 Federal Hate Crime Satute applies to hate crimes but only those crimes that are committed while the victim is exercising one of his/her federally protected rights, (i.e., voting, attending school, etc.). It is very limited in nature and by design, it has nothing to do with the fact that it is "one-sided". :rolleyes:

#72 Filmproducer, Jan 15, 2007
  13. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

Not that I like or even agree with the message of most rap music, but it is not just the "scourge of black people". There are white rappers, and white people have listened to rap since its inception. Other than that one can make an argument that there are hard-working black rappers with clean homes, beyond that not all rap music is negative. There is popular positive rap music out there. It is not necessarily Christian, but it is not condoning sex, drugs, or violence. It also does not objectify women.

14. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    agreed. therefore the word "most". however, maybe it's just that I was born in a different era and listened to a different kind of music, I have never liked rap music, but do not dislike all rappers.

15. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Very good points, I must say. :type:

16. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no federal hate law equivalent to some state laws. The federal legislation deals only with folks who would deny others access to federal or state rights (voting, public accommodations, transportation) or programs on the basis of "race, color, religion or national origin." It was basically an adjunct to the Civil Rights Act to provide enforcement for the various provisions of the act.

It does not really address "hate" crimes at all, as they are primarily understood.

Again, you need a better lawyer.

The District of Columbia hate crimes statute defines a "bias-related crime" as:

No evidence of a "one-way" law.

Perhaps because it doesn't exist? You could look it up, if you were so inclined.

(Oops. Sorry, Filmdirector, I didn't see your earlier post that dealt with the first topic here.)

#76 rsr, Jan 15, 2007
  17. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Predominantly" is not the same as "no blacks allowed".

As for Miss America, yes there is, or at least was, a completely separate Black Miss America, yet blacks can enter the normal Miss America. I'm pretty sure that they can say "no whites allowed", but can the normal Miss America pageant say "no blacks allowed"?

As for scholarships, an official "whites only" scholarship was only recently tried, and it stirred up a huge stink bomb, even though it was only $250:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=2674267&page=1

Lots of other subjects would be in the same boat if they tried a "whites only" type of thing.

The fact of the manner is that in the list above, there are no official legal respectful organizations who can say "whites only", yet there are more than enough official legal organizations for others races who do that shamelessly.

18. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    BIG difference between "don't" and "can't".

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

This is true. You imagine "Ivory" magazine..."WET" TV network, NAAWP, Miss White USA...

20. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

Yes, and can't does not always mean there isn't ample opportunity for whites somewhere else. do you have problems with music scholarships only being given out to music students? why can't a non musician apply? Like I said the Black population is approximately 13% of the American population. I see no problems with with a scholarship based on race. There are PLENTY of other AMPLE opportunities for white students to apply for and receive scholarships. Think about it, the black and Latino populations in America have a GREATER PROPORTION of people below the poverty compared to their white counterparts. (That's what happens when 70% of the US population is white) One or two minority based scholarships do nothing more than level the playing field, especially considering there are hundreds of other scholarships out there for the taking.

As for magazines and television. White people are not excluded from BET, nor are they excluded from magazines like Jet or Ebony. If the story is one that is of interest to members of the black community then it will be written about or talked about. If you actually watch BET you will see there are white people on all the time. I mean c'mon do you have problems with ESPN which only caters to sports fans? What about CNN, Fox News, or MSNBC, they only cater to those people who watch the news? Oh, and then there is the Disney Channel which caters to children and families. Do you have a problem with it?

As far as pageants go, there a hundreds of pageants all over the country all the time. Again ample opportunities to participate in and/or win a beauty pageant. why would a white women want to be in a black pageant, anyway? Unless of course she was bi-racial, and if she was then she could very well have competed and won. Are you really trying to make the argument that Black Miss America is as popular as Miss America or Miss USA?

BTW, don't you find it somewhat amusing that both of the scholarships mentioned in the article you posted were meant to make a point by young white male Republicans? I daresay the same ones who complain that "black people are mistakenly being coerced nto voting Democratic".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.