1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why is there evil in the world?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Luke2427, Nov 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I have no problem whatsoever with the idea that Adam had a free will before the fall.

I think that what is commonly thought of as free will probably never existed but that Adam was not forced to do one or the other is perfectly true.

But, dear brethren and sisters, it is the contention of some of you that God designed Adam with a free will so that God could be loved. Was God lonely? Was the love within the trinity that he experienced in eternity past deficient in some way?

And you still have this problem that God is planning for the existence of evil. He knows what Adam is going to do with that free will, doesn't he. But he gives it to him any way.

So all of the pain and suffering, all of the rape and murder and hell, you still have God designing the world that it might come to pass.

But I implore you to consider that your motive in God for so doing is infinitely less glorious. It is not that Christ might be magnified for grace forever by countless multitudes- Your motive in God is because God wanted to be loved by the free will of man.

2. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

According to the theopedia http://www.theopedia.com/Hyper-Calvinism historic Calvinism is contrasted with hyper Calvinism as follows:
    Jonathan Edwards was a historic Calvinist as am I.

3. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

God is Glorified, because He "demonstrated His Love for us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us"

To coin a question from Casting Crowns....."Does Every man have "hope"?

4. quantumfaith

No, "God's Motive", best I understand it from scripture and life, is LOVE.

5. quantumfaith

On a lighter note

What’s the difference between a Southern Baptist and an IFB?

The Southern Baptist believes everyone’s going to Hell.

The IFB does too, especially the Southern Baptist!

6. quantumfaith

On a lighter note II

Catholic, Baptist, Methodist; all three went to heaven.
    As they passed by different doors, they could see different people praising the Lord, but as they passed by one door it was closed with a sign on the door that said "QUIET".
    The Catholic, Baptist, and Methodist asked...what's going on in there?
    The angel said "SHHHHH!" Those are the Calvinists.
    They think they are the only ones up here."

7. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Exactly!

How could he have demonstrated that kind of love for sinners without- sin?

God is not the source of sin- that is not what any Calvinist contends. But he planned it to come into being, he orchestrated the universe such that it might exist for the very reason that you yourself site.

8. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Not his primary motive- not so. His primary motive is glory.

But let's assume for a moment that you are right.

How could God have displayed such love, exercised such love as was needed to save sinners- without evil?

There is no infinite display of love at Calvary, there is no lavishing saved sinners with infinite love forever- without the existence of evil.

We will experience a love forever that angels will never know- because of evil and our having been saved from it.

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ha Ha Ha..... Note, they had their own private room.:smilewinkgrin:

10. quantumfaith

We quibble over "planned". As I see your point, there appears to me an "equivalence relation" between "planned and ordained". Whereas, "as I understand myself, omniscient knowledge that something will occur, "to me" does not imply it was the "intentional planning" of God.

11. quantumfaith

Well, my brother Luke, we just simply disagree as to God's motive. To be honest, it borders on hubris for either of us to claim precise knowledge as to what motivates our Maker.

12. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I don't have a problem with that. I don't necessarily agree but I will grant you that.

But please try to consider that God COULD have designed a world so that Adam would never have chosen to sin.

God could have designed Lucifer such that he would never have become covetous.

But he didn't.

When he designed Heaven and all her creatures and when he designed the universe he KNEW EXACTLY EVERY SINGLE OUTCOME OF HIS DESIGN. If there was any particular outcome that God did not want he could have tweaked his creation so that that unwanted aspect not come to pass.

But he designed it all exactly like it was knowing exactly what would come of it. That means of logical NECESSITY that he planned for all things to happen just as they happened.

This does not mean that he likes everything that has happened in and of itself- but that he planned it for the greater good.

13. quantumfaith

Not sure (personally) about all this, although it is agreed that God can do whatever He wishes, by virtue of the fact tha He is God. Our quibbling is over how each of us sees his motivation.

14. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Tell me which ones of the following statements you agree with, disagree with or are not sure, please.

God could have designed it in such a way as to avoid evil and suffering ever coming into being.

God has a purpose for everything he does.

Grace could not be displayed without evil.

Mercy could not be displayed without sinners who need it; sin was necessary for sinners to exist.

The cross is the central focus of the Bible and the most important event in the history of the universe.

Sin was necessary for Christ to die on the cross for sins.

The cross was God's plan before he built the universe.

Please identify whether you agree, disagree or do not know beside each of these statements.

15. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Tell me which ones of the following statements you agree with, disagree with or are not sure, please.
    ----------------------
    God knew what would be every single outcome of the creation he designed before he designed it.

God could have designed it in such a way as to avoid evil and suffering ever coming into being.

Mercy could not be displayed without sinners who need it; sin was necessary for sinners to exist.

The cross is the central focus of the Bible and the most important event in the history of the universe.

-----------------

Please identify whether you agree, disagree or do not know beside each of these statements.

16. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Well then I need to get busy and go out and do all the evil I can while I'm on this earth so that God can be glorified.

:BangHead:

17. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

This is uber-hyper Calvinism.

God needed to create sin in order for Him to show is power in defeating it.

Therefore God caused every person to sin in order to be glorified in saving them. (And He only saves some and passed over the others, again showing His grace and mercy.)

It must be this way to the hyper because any other way negates the sovereignty of God. :BangHead:

(I'm getting a headache this morning.)

18. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Should we sin that grace may abound? God forbid.

I noticed you didn't answer any of the questions. Would you rather Christ never be fully glorified for his grace and mercy so that people never experience evil???

19. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Of course not. That's one of the reasons that your position makes no sense.

I pray that your eyes will be opened.

I'm not going to answer your questions. Been there, done that. I don't like being manipulated.

20. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Then are you just going to drive by post? Are you not going to address arguments?

Are you just going to post banging head posts and snippy comments from now on?

Because that is not debate.

You are not being manipulated. These are extraordinarily simple questions to answer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.