1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why is this legal under NAFTA?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Magnetic Poles, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Mexico outlaws import of any cars except 1998 models in an effort to protect their domestic auto business, starting Monday. Is this a NAFTA violation or a legitimate act of a soverign nation?

CLICK HERE

2. Justlittleoldme

Justlittleoldme New Member

I think that type of law has been on the books for years. Every car going into Mexico from the US must come out. It cannot be sold. Even if it breaks down and it won't drive out, it has to be towed out. At least that is what some missionary friends have told us.

3. Magnetic Poles

No, this is a new law. As a private citizen of the US, that may be; but you could import cars into the country.

4. Justlittleoldme

Justlittleoldme New Member

Does the US allow the importation of Mexican made cars into the US? Just curious if that goes both ways. I don't know a whole lot about NAFTA.

5. Magnetic Poles

Yep...many automakers manufacture in Mexico for the US market. The new VW Beetle for example, is made in Puebla, Mexico.

6. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

This makes me wonder? I saw the Obama Hillary debate and NAFTA was a major topic. Did Bill have us accept the short end of the stick?

7. billwald

billwald New Member

I suppose for the same reason one can't import used Mexican made VW bugs into the USofA.

8. Magnetic Poles

If you are talking about the classic beetle, the issue there is that they no longer meet US safety standards.