1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why so many versions?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by ILUVLIGHT, Jul 29, 2003.

1. ILUVLIGHT

ILUVLIGHT Guest

Hi Y'all; [​IMG]
    Since I was knee high to a grasshopper, I've used the King James Bible. But this doesn't make me King James Only. I feel the reason there are so many versions is because it's human nature to want something better. Not to say all newer versions are better than The King James but I have to admit some are interesting.

What I'd really like to know is how would Y'all feel about someone who was led to Christ out of a New world translation. Would you say this person would really have Christ or not. After all the New World translation is a J.W. Bible and not considered a good translation because of a few comas. How ever it is interestingly similar to the King James Bible.

In my own church back home this Bible version argument was about the most devastating thing to ever come over the thresh hold of our Church. It was brought through the door by a few new members who used other versions and didn't want to buy a King James. There claim that there's was better than the king James. Just isn't so in my opinion. Quality is like beauty it's in the eye of the beholder. I myself am not an only version person but I do allow the King James the final say in any dispute over which is right. Although I have no doubt that the King James Has it's faults but you have to admit they've had 400 years to get it right.

In Reading post here at Baptist Board I find several arguments that there are just no solutions to and this is just another.

The new testament was originally written in Greek and although there are some Greek scholars here they will all have to admit that the first Greek dictionary wasn't written until about 800 years after the death and resurrection of Christ. Even then it was just a few unusual words that Homer used.

Translators of the word had, ("and have") there work cut out for them. It must not be an easy undertaking. Maybe just maybe this is why Paul said to work out your own Salvation with fear and trembling. All we really have is what is inside of us and we have to depend on Christ. We have to lean on Him for everything especially knowledge of His word. There's nothing on this earth more deceiving than a man who is a slave to Satan. Men are the ones who translate His word. [​IMG] I would say Trust In God to lead you to what He wants for you.
    May God Bless you all.
    Mike

2. BrianT

BrianT New Member

Good question. I believe that the ink on paper is only half the issue. Often we forget that the other half of the issue is that the Holy Spirit can guide people when they read. Thus, I believe someone *can* come to the real Christ by reading the NWT, not because of what the text says, but *despite* of what the text says. The NWT teaches that Christ is a sub-god, a created god completely separate from the Father. Yet someone reading the NWT may be shown by the Holy Spirit why this is wrong, and come to a *correct* understanding of who Christ is despite what the text says.

3. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I've led people to Christ using a salvation bracelet and memorized verses. Their 'heart' condition is much more important than which version I quoted!

CLICK HERE for Free Salvation Bracelet!

I used this bracelet and witnessed to 300 children this summer. You can follow the directions and make your own or ask for one online.
    Diane

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Oh how true!!! Well done, good and faithful servant. I've known people who accepted Christ before they cracked open a bible. Sometimes I think I rely too much on what the Bible says and not enough on what the Bible tells me.

5. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

Dear Mike,
    I am not familiar with all of the versions of the Bible. Only 3 actually and the New World Translation isn't one of them.

If by J.W. you mean Jehovah's Witness, then the question of that person's belief would give me pause. Jehovah's Witness's deny the diety of Christ.

So I would wonder if they could have accepted Christ as their savior if they didn't believe that Christ was anything more than a prophet. :confused:

I concede that God can save anyone using anything or anybody. But I would wonder if the person who said they accepted Christ, meant as God, as their redeemer, as the resurected Lord? Or as the Jehovahs Witness believe...as a prophet like Mohamed.

Another question I would have is how can a person be saved from Hell, when they don't believe in Hell. This is another thing that Jehovah's Witness' deny the existance of. :confused:

6. ILUVLIGHT

ILUVLIGHT Guest

Hi Wisdomseeker; [​IMG]
    I can see where y'all might get the wrong idea of what I'm trying to say here.

There is a certain amount of Gods word left intact in the NWT. and as miraculous as it may seem. God has spoken to man through just one verse. What I'm saying is that God can and does use what ever is at hand to draw those to Him which He has chosen.
    You said in your post;
    If by J.W. you mean Jehovah's Witness, then the question of that person's belief would give me pause. Jehovah's Witness's deny the deity of Christ.

Your right they do. I have them at my door on a regular basis wanting me to buy there watchtower magazines. They seem willing to look at the King James but prefer there own Bible and go by it. The fellow who translated it only studied Greek for about two years before translating the New Greek Testament in to what is known as the NWT. His mistakes are there and there is a way to get around them and prove to J.W's there view of Jesus is wrong. All you have to do is know they are there and start looking for away to show them truth from there own Bible. Jn 14:6-9 is a good one to start with. This below from the KJV.
    Joh 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
    Joh 14:7 If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him.
    Joh 14:8 Philip saith unto him, Lord, show us the Father, and it sufficeth us.
    Joh 14:9 Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Show us the Father?

The same passage from the NWT.
    Jn 14:6 Jesus said to him: "I'm the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me
    Jn 14.7 If you men had known me you would have known my Father also.
    Jn 14:8 Philip said to him: Lord show us the Father, and it is enough for us.
    Jn 14:9 Jesus said to him: Have I been with you so long a time and yet, Philip, you have not come to know me? He that has seen me has seen the Father [also]. How is you say show us the Father.

My point should be obvious a person can be led to Christ using the NWT. This is not the only place I've found verses to support the deity of Christ in the NWT. I have also had them say "well everyone knows there are mistakes in the Bible" and I say if the Bible is full of mistakes why do you even believe there is a God. It could all be a mistake. I admit that it's a hard work to lead J.W's to Christ as there Savior. But it is done all the time the secret is not to get upset at the challenge they give to your own faith.
    May God Bless You.
    Mike

7. Elijah

Elijah New Member

What I'd really like to know is how would Y'all feel about someone who was led to Christ out of a New world translation. Would you say this person would really have Christ or not. After all the New World translation is a J.W. Bible and not considered a good translation because of a few comas. How ever it is interestingly similar to the King James Bible.

I would have to have a pretty good talk with the person who was supposedly led to Christ by the New World Translation, Jehova's witness bible.
    This bible (NWT) reduces Christ to "a god" in John chapter 1, who created all "other" things.
    If a person was led to a so called faith in Jesus out of this bible (NWT), we may assume that it was by a Jehova's Witness, since I dont know of anyone else who uses that "translation". And if that be the case they were led to place there faith in another Jesus that is not taught in the bible, KJV, NKJV, NASB, or any other legitimate translation of the scriptures. :(

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    God's Word is not bound. Even BAD English translations of God's Word can be used by the Holy Spirit to create faith in men.

Dr. Cassidy was saved using the RSV (remember that one? Mary was a young woman, not a virgin).

My pastor preached from the ASV1901 that said "All inspired of God scripture is profitable", implying that some scripture was NOT inspired of God!

And a dear friend was saved using the Confraternity (Catholic) NT. Would not be surprised to hear of folks saved using only a a JW Bible, a Mormon Bible (oh, wait, that's the KJV) or even a Chick Tract!

9. BrianT

BrianT New Member

The RSV says Mary was a virgin. The reason the RSV got flak is because its translators saw Isa 7:14 as a prophecy primarily about a maiden in Ahaz's day (and secondarily about Mary, not primarily), and therefore believe that for Christ, Matthew finds midrashic fulfillment of Isaiah 7:14 instead of direct fulfillment. But that's another thread. [​IMG] Anyway, the RSV affirms Mary's virginity. [​IMG]

The rest of your comments were spot on, old chap! [​IMG]

10. Askjo

Askjo New Member

If the NWT (JW Bible) is another gospel, Read Galatians 1:6-10. (KJV)

11. ILUVLIGHT

ILUVLIGHT Guest

Hi Y'all; [​IMG]
    First of all I'd like to say, I'm in no way promoting the use of the NWT. What I'm trying to get you to see is how you can witness to J.W's., using there own tools the ones they trust most.

Suppose a J.W. comes to your door and tries to sell you some watch tower material and in the process you start a conversation about the gospel.

Before he comes to the door you are involved in other things and as a result you aren't able to find your Bible right away. You want to show this person that Christ is the Son of God before you loose this persons attention,and all you have is this persons Bible. Believe me, GOD, not me, has ways to speak to people through this NWT, or any Bible for that matter. If you can show a J.W. the truth through there own Bible they are much more willing to accept it, than if you argue the cause through the use of your own Bible. The reason, they believe you are trying to deceive them, the way they believe you are deceived.

My Self I feel if I can't tell someone about the Love of my savior everyday, I'm some how a failure in my Christian walk. We are suppose to preach the gospel to every living creature this includeds J.W's. This comandment is not just for preachers, we all who have Christ are called to preach the Gospel.

If in conversation you convince a J.W. of the truth that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, and In fact God Him Self. You will be fulfilling the will of God. What can be more important than that. It's about His will, not our feelings of the J.W's doctrine. I will use any tool available to do this.

God works in mysterous ways.

Thanky'all for your responses.

May God Bless You

Mike

12. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

After reading the rest of the posts on this thread it seems that I'm the only person who addressed the issue of what the Jehovahs Witness' believe.

Should anyone mistakenly think that my post about the Jehovah's witness faith, was because of feelings, negative or otherwise for the people, I would like to explain that there was no emotionality or "feelings" in what I said. What I stated is fact and can easily be varified.

I will also offer that Zen Buddhism, Gnosticism, Sikhism and other religions also believe this. I am just reporting something that can be easily backed up by a search on the web or a visit to a library.

In a country such as the U.S. it is a common misconception that everyone who says that they believe in Jesus Christ means that they believe that Jesus Christ is God. Many believe that Jesus Christ did exist, but that he was not God but a man, a prophet. In fact many religions believe that he never said he was God. And that this idea is in fact anti God heresy. Interesting no?

I agree with the others who have proven that salvation is not because of anything we do, but by God's will. So whether it be a blank peice of paper, a salvation bracelet, a KJV Bible or the Nag Hamadi...if a person is seeking God....God will use whatever is available or nothing at all to bring them to Himself.

But the mere statement that a person believes in Jesus Christ when they are using a Jehovah's Witness Bible would lead me to ask them how they mean that. ;)

13. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

ILUVLIGHT asked:

What I'd really like to know is how would Y'all feel about someone who was led to Christ out of a New world translation.

The New World Translation is a sectarian corruption of the Scriptures intended to promote the false theology of the Jehovah's Witnesses.

Despite that, however, it still contains more truth than a typical evangelistic sermon. So if God can bring one of his people into the New Covenant through a preached message, he can do it with a corrupt Bible.

Wouldn't recommend the new convert stayed with it, though. [​IMG]