1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why Take "Baptist" out of Church Names?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by jprieto, Jul 6, 2011.

1. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are a Baptist church because we follow the Baptist distinctives.

There is a local Baptist church that became a community church....and we all know why...they wanted NUMBERS....they compromised on all kinds of matters, started approving of living together out of wedlock, approve of drinking alcohol, etc, etc....just to get NUMBERS.

Probably a good thing they don't use the Baptist name, because they don't follow scripture anymore anyway.

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    GARBC and Bible Versios

(post deleted)

OOPPS I thougt I started a new thread in the KJV -

#42 Salty, Jul 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2011
  3. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

This is so pejorative that it doesn't deserve a response. If being this is what being a "Baptist" is- no Christ-follower will want to be called that, because true believers are taught of Him to love one another, not to argue and separate over what name is above the church door.

4. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

When I was living in Mexico, my wife and I went to the store to buy food and saw creamed corn- and man, I LOVE creamed corn. We bought a whole case of it because we didn't know if we would see it in the store again. I couldn't wait to get home and have a bowl of creamed corn. I ran home and grabbed the can opener and gave it a few spins, popped the top and... whole kernel corn! I looked at the label again- it hadn't changed. So I grabbed another can- followed proper procedure- and this time the label and the contents were in agreement. YUM!

The moral of the story- it's not the label on the can that is important- it's the contents of the can!

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes but up here in Yankee land, a church changing their name or omitting the name "Baptist" generally means a loosening of Baptist Distinctive's that are cherished by the traditional Baptists. And with that comes liberal prospectives. The most common one I see today is baptisms done both as immersion & sprinkling & also infant baptisms cleverly disguised as dedications. Next comes a tolerance for homosexuality, Women as pastors & teachers, ecumenical services, Blah, Blah, Blah. Later, its not necessary to go to the church because they dont stand for anything anymore & they are now considered "all things to all people". I can get that from flipping on Joel Olsteen! Any wonder why only 2% of professing Christians in Northern NJ go to church anymore.....think about it.

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It was certainly not done lightly and without a ton of thought. I was not involved in the process nor was my husband but I fully understand the reasoning. In simplest terms, there was not a good decent Baptist name that we could come up with that wouldn't put us in with a Baptist church that we don't identify with. We are on Long Island. We chose Island for the name because we hope to have multiple campuses across Long Island. There is a Long Island Baptist and Island Baptist would be too close. There were no other names that really stood out other than Island Christian and so that is what we went for. Honestly, I think it's less about ditching the Baptist name than just practically finding a name that worked. :)

7. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

God though has 1 CHURCH the Body/Bride of Christ, many branches within that such as Baptists/Reformed/Methodists/ etc
    ALL saved by Grace, alive in Christ

Great to be a Baptist, but we are NOT only Christians, nor any more to God than any other "bible based" Church

And weren't MOST of reformer non Baptist?
    Can't you be good in Theology and NOT be called a Baptist?

8. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Tom, I might suggest that the name "Baptist" has always been a "marketing decision" from the inception of its use. First a term of derision, later adopted by the people who wished to be identified with the practice, always a choice.

There was an era where names made a bigger difference. In that era there were also wars fought were people died over a name, when in fact most of the core theology of the groups warring was similar enough as to make little real difference.

I am neutral as to whether to use the name Baptist or not. Use it if that works don't if that works -- in all cases, further the kingdom -- for that is what ultimately matters.

As for your other comment concerning Presbyterians who attend a Baptist church to hear biblical preaching, that, in large measure, depends on the home church for the Presbyterians. We have a Presbyterian USA (PCUSA) seminary just around the corner from SBTS. We all share a "metroversity" agreement with the U. of Louisville, so students can take coursework at any of the three institutions if they care. From time-to-time a PC student will find his or her way into an SBTS classroom. I recall one in particular who attended a theology course in my undergrad program. He did not hold to an inerrant Bible, did not see the entire Bible as God's Word, did not hold an orthodox doctrine of the Trinity, had no issues with women or gay pastors, and held a host of other "liberal" doctrines and theology. He was far and away the most liberal student in the classroom that semester, but according to him, he was the most conservative student at his seminary! It is no surprise that there is little biblical preaching if the Bible itself is not held as the Word of God in its complete form. What else is there? Oh, I know!!! The newspaper, psychology, sociology, and the agenda of the pastor/elders, all of which sounds somewhat biblical to people who don't know the difference and who "think" that they are coming to a "church" where God is worshiped.

9. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Also, weren't those like J vernon Mcgee, Boice, and others who were ordain as Presbeterians, but were "not" reformed in all areas?

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have you checked out Boice's book, " Doctrines of Grace" LOL

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure.... until it comes to Baptism. Then they are NOT all wet!:laugh:

12. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Thank you, Ann. I tend to forget that the dynamics where you are can be quite different from where I am.

13. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I thought at first that you were new to the BB, but then noticed that you joined in 2008. Perhaps you did not see the previous threads on this very issue. (That's not a criticism, of course!)

For example, there was the thread started in February this year, with the title "churches eliminating "Baptist" from name..."

In that thread, I wrote:
    I haven't noticed it happening much here in the UK. But as I said in a BB Poll on this back in 2008 (here, if you are interested):
    However, maybe the situation is different in the US, where it seems that not having the word "baptist" in the church name is looked upon as indicating disagreement with, or shame of, Baptist doctrines. Here, that is not necessarily the case. The church where Spurgeon was pastor is not called, "Elephant & Castle Baptist Church" (after the name of that part of London), but "The Metropolitan Tabernacle".
    I could give other examples. A baptist church which has a church name that does not include the word "Baptist" may not have dropped it, or been ashamed of being known as baptist.
    I totally agree with your ps.