1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why The Caner Double Standard

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Martin, May 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quite the contrary.Mo Khan has documented from Ergun Caner's own mouth a consistent pattern of lying. Mo's charges have stuck. That's why other bloggers -- mainly Christian have delved into this whole issue. Mo is Muslim, but his research into Caner's web of deceit has been invaluable.

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He is guilty. As of yet he feels no contrition.. Mr. Caner hasn't fessed up yet. However,that does not mean that he has sinned in this matter of lying continually about his background.

You keep saying that those who oppose what Caner has done are out to destroy him. That's still a false charge on your part.

He should be removed from his office. Any reasonable person who has done a bit of research on the issue would agree. So you think that those who say he should step down from his presidency are in effect out to destroy him?

As a Christian all of us have been affected by what Caner has done. There is no getting around that fact.

3. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

This thread proves that the Christian army does indeed shoot it's wounded.

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Shot, stabbed and hung and not necessarily in that order.

5. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ergun Caner Prayer Request

To all who would "shoot the wounded in 'The Lord's Army'":

Please see my post here for help settling the problem!!! :smilewinkgrin:

http://baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=66230 :praying:

Thank you for your concern (I think??).

"That is all!"

6. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rev. Mitchell,

I know this is off the OP, but why do you fly the flag upside down? I have been intending to ask for some time but thought it would bring up a controversy I might not want to wade into.

Please make your response in kindness to one who asks with no hidden motive.

"That is all!"

7. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rev. Mitchell Reply

Rev. Mitchell,

See my other post: Why do you fly the flag upside down? :smilewinkgrin:

For my information? :thumbs:

"That is all!"

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Have you forgotten Col 3:25, James 4:6, 1 Peter 5:6 and Prov. 9:10? The last time I checked God is still God.

Col 3:25, "For he who does wrong will receive the consequences of the wrong which he has done, and that without partiality."

James 4:6, "But He gives a greater grace. Therefore it says, "God is opposed to the proud, but gives grace to the humble."

1 Peter 5:6, "Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you at the proper time"

Prov. 9:10. "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, And the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding."

#48 gb93433, May 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2010
  9. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

When people say we are shooting our wounded, are they admitting Caner's guilt?
    How else would he be wounded?

I for one do not wish any harm of any kind to Caner. I do however wish his repentance of his sin.

He has lied to thousands of people. He should repent and step down from his position.

If he refuses, then he should be removed from his position.

I also have to ask, is the only way NOT to "shoot our wounded" is to allow people to live in open sin?

10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Did he not "shoot himself in the foot" by his dishonesty? An elder is to be above reproach. So where does that leave him?

11. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

I was not necessarily referring to just Caner. It seems like there are quite a few people who are almost demanding that the situation is disposed of in the manner they decide it should be. Yet, they have no real dog in this hunt.

Just let LU know that as long as this situation remains unchecked, you can not support them in any way or fashion. (which is what I have done) If you never have supported LU, then your decision will not bear as much weight as someone who has. But, it will still be be noticed. If not individually, but by the number of such notices they receive.

Or, we can go on and kick, drag and whatever else we want to do to Caner and anyone else we do not like or disagree with.

A large portion of the negativity is coming from people who did not care for Caner to start with, they just did not have a legitimate reason as to why.

I have not read any of his books, what little I have seen, heard or read it seems to me that he has a good grasp on the Gospel. If he is guilty of deceitful testimony, then that would be a shame and it would hurt his integrity and probably make him useless (though God does have a way of taking the least and making the most out of it). Any action by his employer and any supporters would be up to them.

But, somehow I do not think that this is something God can not handle and I do not think that God needs any of us to serve as a vengeance delivery service.

Besides most of the folks who are really worked up about it should take a chill pill because, if most of them believe what they themselves claim, then all this was predestined to happen and so will the results.:tonofbricks:

God Bless.

12. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

13. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Except for the fact that none of us as calvinists actually believe that.

God works through means. We are responsible.

What you are describing is actually fatalism, also sometimes called hypercalvinism.
    However it is not true calvinism at all.

14. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Are you saying he should be endorsed as the next SBC president?

15. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Would Caner fit in with what the article at http://www.bpnews.net/BPFirstPerson.asp?ID=33012 mentions, "In the past decade, nearly every pillar institution in American society -- whether it's General Motors, Congress, Wall Street, Major League Baseball, the Catholic Church or the mainstream media -- has revealed itself to be corrupt, incompetent, or both."

16. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Where do you draw the line in such a way that other may know for sure the difference?

17. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Sure. This is a commonly misunderstood thing.
    Calvinists believe that God has decreed everything that comes to past but that He uses secondary causes. Man acts on his own will, yet man may mean something for evil but God means it for good, such as with Joseph.
    Man is still responsible before God. Also we are not told the secret will of God therefore we must act only on His revealed will. with the gospel that means we must offer the gospel to all men.
    In cases like this it means we must do what is right and leave the results to God.
    A true calvinist realizes that results are God's so we should just be faithful to His command.
    If arminianism were true, it could tempt some, like apparently caner to embellish his testimony in order to win more souls. But it is better to obey than sacrifice.
    Now onto fatalism and hypercalvinism, that is when people see God's sovereignty as an excuse to do nothing. Like God has decreed when I will die so I can drive wrecklessly and drink while I do....that is fatalism.
    Calvinism is ''duty is ours, consequenses are God's'' to quotw Thomas Jackson.

For one, it is our strength to press on, for the other it is an excuse to do nothing.

I hope that helps you out. If you like I can send you some links to even better explanations.

18. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

wow, that was a long post to type on my phone keyboard. :)

19. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You could go to the Westminster Confession of Faith or its modified cousin -- the London Baptist Confession of 1689. You will not see fatalism or Hyper-Calvinism in the pages of either. Of course some Fundamentalists and Evangelicals over the last half century or so have deliberately distorted the meaning of Hyper-Calvinism to their own ends. Caner,Geisler,Hunt and Cloud are among the culprits these days.

20. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

How does your theology fit in with the following verses?

1 Sam 16:14-16, "Now the Spirit of the Lord departed from Saul, and an evil spirit from the Lord terrorized him. 15 Saul's servants then said to him, "Behold now, an evil spirit from God is terrorizing you. 16 "Let our lord now command your servants who are before you. Let them seek a man who is a skillful player on the harp; and it shall come about when the evil spirit from God is on you, that he shall play the harp with his hand, and you will be well."

1 Sam 16:23, "So it came about whenever the evil spirit from God came to Saul, David would take the harp and play it with his hand; and Saul would be refreshed and be well, and the evil spirit would depart from him."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.