1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why They Pray

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by carpro, Mar 9, 2007.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.opinionjournal.com/taste/?id=110009766

Why They Pray
    The trials of war strengthen many soldiers' faith.

BY ANDREW CARROLL
    Friday, March 9, 2007 12:01 a.m. EST

EXCERPT

"How can there be fairness in one man being maimed for life, suffering agonies, another killed instantaneously, while I get out of it safe?" Pvt. Walter Bromwich wrote to his pastor back in Pennsylvania during World War I. "Does God really love us individually or does He love his purpose more?" he continued. "Sounds rather calculating, doesn't it, and not a bit like the love of a Father."

Bromwich's sentiments are hardly unique. "If God's chief work has been the creation of this earth and man on it, to date He and His work have been a glorious failure," Lt. Russ Merrell concluded in a July 1944 letter to his wife after seeing the aftermath of the horrific Normandy invasion.

SNIP

These two words, "sacrificial concern," represent the heart of the matter. Countless soldiers have demonstrated their faith by risking their lives for their comrades in arms.

2. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Amen! Thanks for posting this!

Mankind still has a difficult time understanding that Heaven and Earth and all that's in it including us was created by and for God to satisfy His purposes.

Only to met His purposes is one chosen to die at one time in one way and another at a later time in another way. There is no "fairness" in it by man's understanding. I'm convinced that only a person who knows God can be at peace with it and trust that, in the end, justice will prevail.

Most of us aren't particularly ready to die but, if we must, what better way than in an unselfish act of sacrifice that another might live or that a following generation might hopefully live in relative freedom and justice? Surely the warriors among God's children will be justly rewarded in Heaven.

I feel so humble and grateful when I think of the many sacrifices made by so many before me, others near to me in time and place, and others still even now. I feel even more so when I ponder the major acts of mass courage - courage even in fear and even for raw survival - such as Normandy or Iwo Jima or countless others.

3. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus New Member

I am awed by the fact that the Lord counts that a man's blood is a precious thing. (If I am not mistaken on this).
    It is also understood that a just cause is important to the Lord.

Bartimaeus

4. redbelt

redbelt New Member

Thanks Carpro!

Not much else to say except thank you to those who have made the supreme sacrifice.