1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why We Must Preach Jesus As Lord

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by JGrubbs, Aug 5, 2005.

1. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

The dawn of the third millennium has seen discernment fly out of the Christian window. This is especially true, it seems to me, in the area of evangelism. Health and wealth preachers have gained a wide audience at home and abroad, but they do not obey the Scriptures. Then there are those who preach Jesus as Savior and leave it there. What about the lordship of Christ?

The consistent theme of New Testament preaching is the lordship of Jesus Christ. Note the following examples:
    </font>
    • “For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord” (Luke 2:11).</font>
    • “God has made this same Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ” (Acts 2:36).</font>
    • “For we preach not ourselves but Christ Jesus as Lord” (2 Cor. 4:5).</font>
    • “As you have therefore received Christ Jesus as Lord, so walk in Him” (Col. 2:6).</font>
    herefore, when the biblical gospel is preached, there will always be an emphasis on the lordship of Christ, not as a second act of consecration, but as the hinge upon which all else rests. Referring to the entire New Testament, Matthew Henry put it this way: “All the grace contained in this book is owing to Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior; and, unless we consent to Him as our Lord, we cannot expect any benefit from Him as our Savior.” Similarly, the Willowbank Report of the Lausanne Committee for World Evangelism stressed the importance of the lordship of Christ (p. 19):

We are clear that the fundamental meaning of conversion is a change of allegiance. Other gods and lords – idolatries every one – previously ruled over us. But now Jesus Christ is Lord. The governing principle of the converted life is that it is lived under the lordship of Christ or (for it comes to the same thing) in the Kingdom of God. His authority over us is total. So this new and liberating allegiance leads inevitably to a reappraisal of every aspect of our lives and in particular of our world-view, our behavior, and our relationships.

It is tragic in our day to witness the loss of this understanding. It is not an idle question to ask, Do our present-day altar calls, with their emphasis on “accepting Jesus as your personal Savior,” conform to the teaching of the Word of God? We are badly deceived if we think our man-centered and needs-based evangelism will issue in lasting fruit. Evangelism is more than saving people from their sins; the scriptural call is to yield one’s entire life, without reserve, to Jesus Christ as Lord.

Those who look in the New Testament for the formula, “Accept Jesus as your personal Savior,” will look in vain. Rather, the biblical gospel calls for “repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus” (Acts 20:21). Let me emphasize again, the New Testament knows nothing of receiving Christ as one’s Savior and then later making Him Lord. Why, then, do we put asunder what God has joined together? Why do we emphasize the blessings of forgiveness but fail to mention what it costs to follow Jesus? Such thinking reflects Reinhold Niebuhr’s famous dictum that a god without wrath brought men without sin into a kingdom without judgment and to a Christ without a cross!

There are only two categories of people in this world: those who acknowledge Jesus as Lord, and those who do not (1 Cor. 12:3). This is not something about which non-believers should have any doubts!

Source: David Alan Black

2. Michael52

Michael52 Member

If Christ Jesus is not your Lord, He is also not your Savior - and vice-versa! [​IMG]

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Only in the third milennium? I dunno, I think there are plenty of examples of it being absent on the last millenium.

Click Here to view Johnv's wedding photos

4. Michael52

Michael52 Member

Johnv

Way-cool pic's. Congratulations.

"Live long and prosper" [​IMG]

5. yeshua4me2

yeshua4me2 New Member

marriage is proof that God has a sence of humor

been married 11 years going on eternity

With God as the Foundation the house stands.

6. JGrubbs AMEN !

I gringe every time I hear a Preacher or someone say " Jesus as Savior " No where in scripture will you find Jesus as Savior first and only, it is ALWAYS Jesus as LORD and Savior. He cannot be your Savior till you make him your Lord.

Every knee shall bow and confess Jesus as LORD ! :

7. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

JGrubbs: GOOD OBSERVATION.

AND as Lord of our lives we are to do as God says and be obedient to His will. So many Christians today only see Christianity as accepting the death of Christ in their stead... but they fail to realize that Christ did not die for them just to give them a license to sin. They are to be CHANGED into new creatures, now to live for Christ and to glorify God. The idea is that we are now supposed to be concerned about GOD and revealing His character of love to the world... and not merely about "me and my salvation" Or else we are just as selfish as we always were.

1Pt:2:12: Having your conversation honest among the Gentiles: that, whereas they speak against you as evildoers, they may by your good works, which they shall behold, glorify God in the day of visitation.

Lk:6:46: And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?

Many Christians will try to do all sorts of "THINGS" to fool people into thinking they are good Christians but they refuse to actually OBEY God and to just plain do what He tells them to do:

Mt:7:21-23
    "Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
    Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
    And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity [ Lawlessness ]."

WHY ARE WE DO HAVE JESUS AS LORD OF OUR LIVES:

Old Testament:

What was the intended role that the children of Israel were to play in the world. They in keeping God's Commandments were to be a light to the world. Listen to Moses...

"Behold," said Moses, "I have taught you statutes and judgments, even as the Lord my God commanded me, that ye should do so in the land whither ye go to possess it. Keep therefore and do them; for this is your wisdom and your understanding in the sight of the nations, which shall hear all these statutes, and say, Surely this great nation is a wise and understanding people. For what nation is there so great, who hath God so nigh unto them, as the Lord our God is in all things that we call upon Him for? And what nation is there so great, that hath statutes and judgments so righteous as all this law, which I set before you this day?" Deut. 4:5-8.

New Testament:

Mt:5:
    13: Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men.
    14: Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.
    15: Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.
    16: Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

What is the actual purpose for God's Church? God has a reason for calling out a special people to Himself. The Lord desires to separate His people from the customs, habits, and practices of the world, that in life and character they may reveal the principles of His law.

The ten commandments of God are a transcript of His unselfish character of love. By beholding the goodness and the love of God revealed in His Church, the world is to have a representation of His character.

When the law of God is thus exemplified in the life, the world will recognize the obvious superiority of those who love and serve God above every other people.

And if observed from the heart, the law of God would cause all of humanity to prosper and live in true peace and happiness: He that keepeth the law, happy is he. " Prov:29:18

If Christians would only realize these principles, they would stop confusing legalism and trying to do good works to gain merit... with doing good works and keeping God's commandments BECAUSE YOU LOVE HIM and BECAUSE YOU WANT TO GLORIFY HIM to the world.

Jn:14:15: If ye love me, keep my commandments.

The entire life of Christ was to show the love of His Father to all with whom He came in contact. To glorify His Father was His life.

1Jn:2:6: He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

1Jn:3:24: And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us , by the Spirit which he hath given us.

Our salvation is by the merits of Christ alone. We are to accept that and rely only upon the blood of Christ for salvation. BUT we are now to live our lives for a completely different purpose, which is to give glory to the Father. God is to become Lord of every aspect of our lives now. If we do not allow Him to be Lord over us we prove we have never accepted Him at all, but are Christ -ians in name only.

[ August 06, 2005, 12:42 PM: Message edited by: Claudia_T ]