1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Why We Should Beware of the Emerging Church?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Oct 28, 2013.

?
  1. I am aware of it...it is highly post-modernism at its best!

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. I did not know what it was until this post....

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I know some individuals who are deeply into these values...

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. I know of at least one church that falls into this catagorey...

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  5. Yes, the Emergent Church is a danger to the traditional church...

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  6. Debating/arguing with Emergents is a waste of time...

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  7. I have won over Emergents [please explain how you did this]

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. The Baptist denomination is suspectible to the Emergent teachings...

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  9. I can name several big-name preachers who are Emergent. [please give names and explain why]

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  10. Zondervan Publishing and Christainity Today are solidly behind the movement...

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

Good post Paul, many in here will say the Emergent church is fading but I'm not so sure, maybe it is packaged the same but not called Emergent. I see a lot of these things going on in many churches in our area. It is what happens when men try to make the church fit what the culture wants.

Whoever had Campolo at their church I have some advice----run away. Now!

2. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

Doesn't seem to be totally a cut & paste, even so maybe Paul just didn't add the link. I see nowhere where he said he authored these words.

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He probably did. However, plagiarism is not dependent on whether one makes an actual claim of ownership. That standard says failure to cite the original source means you have committed plagiarism.

In academic circles it will get you discredited. In college or seminary it can get you expelled. Even over something as simple as the op.

However, It is likely just an honest mistake. It happens to all of us. We post the op and forget the link.

4. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    SORRY! It was an HONEST Mistake...

Like sharks in the water who smell blood, many of you came swarming, ready to devour me! I say, "shame on you!"

And, yes, I'm an author and I am usually careful to acknowledge where material is derived from.

Before you, Pharisee like members jump on people like me, give us the benefit of doubt, like Rev. and Solo Saint! I continued to come across people claiming to be believers while accusing me of being legalistic, saying no one can interpret Scripture because no man can understand the Bible! And I wanted to get your input on what you see or understand about these folks, not your concern about my so-called plagiarism.

It seems that the mood of this board is suddenly interested in finding out if someone committed plagiarism. Who among you has posted something that was 100% your idea? Who hasn't been inspired by something they read, and posted for the purpose of sharing? Was it 100% your idea? Words? Thoughts? Or did you use research to help put together an informative thread to solicit discussion and feedback?

How many of you have told a joke to friends, or from the pulpit? Did you give credit for the author of the joke or story? How many of you quote things, or use an adage in a sentence or sermon? Did you give credit for the source of the adage? I would say that like those who brought the woman caught in adultery to Jesus, none of you are without sin...the sin of plagiarism, that is, in one form or another???

It is high time you get off the KICK of playing "GOTCHA" with those on the board you do not like. And I know those who tried to get me are not my biggest fans; so don't weasel out by saying that this wasn't the reason you went to the web to catch me in an act of plagiarism! Some of you must go to bed feeling so satisfied for righting the wrongs in the universe???

How many of you post a photo, emoticon, or a avatar/character to emphasize your feelings in a comment, and GIVE THE SOURCE OF THAT IMAGE? Is that not a form of PLAGIARISM???

Your hypocrisy is much worse than my honest error!

You folks are maybe missing the posts by others who are saying they came to the board to grow and make new friends only to find fighting, finger pointing and bickering! The comments in this post are an prime example of not attacking the topic, but rather, attacking the author!

Maybe this thought isn't fair [but then again, some of you lack fairness in your criticism], but the title of this article was "Can a Person be SPIRITUALLY ABUSED?" Well, the truth is, a lot of you folks, and I say this in love, are abusive in how you speak to one another [all in the name of debating]. And very seldom do any of you apologise for your comments!

So, here is the finished article!

Can a Person be SPIRITUALLY ABUSED?​

You better believe it...this world has its share of cults, and even well meaning people, who hang out their shingle with true sincerity to serve God!

The problem is, somewhere along the way to being a place that helps others by introducing them to Jesus, they get caught up in things like the need to CONTROL their members with misinterpretation of the Gospel [and if people do not rely on their own Bible when being taught, they can be deceived] leading to guilt trips; spiritual bullying; and worst of all falling into the Satanic trap of having preachers and teachers who are there to TICKLE their ears with partial truths!

Some may say, "Pastor Paul aren't you being awfully judgmental?" And I would answer that by reminding you that Satan started lying to us in the Garden when he said to Eve, "Surely you will not die for a bite of that apple?" And he is continuing to lie his way to the hearts and minds of the multitudes in cults, non-Christian religions, and now the Emergent Chruch, which just happens to be one of the most popular movements going on around the world today!

And I felt it necessary to provide you with Characteristics and Warning Signs of this dangerous movement...a movement that has the multitudes of young people, especially, flocking to its pews:

CHARACTERISTICS of the Emergent Church

>Sound biblical doctrine is dangerous and divisive, and the experiential (i.e., mystical) is given a greater role than doctrine.
    >Emergents despise Bible prophecy and believe it is a waste of time.
    >Emergents do not like to be preached to, in fact; the word sermon is a turn off!
    >Israel becomes less and less important and has no biblical significance. Eventually, the promises for Israel are applied to the church and not Israel (Replacement Theology).
    >Emergents consider the written works of others over the Bible.
    >Church programs are planned around surveys and polls about the needs of families and individuals in their community.
    >The truth of God’s word becomes less and less important
    God’s Word, especially concepts like hell, sin and repentance, is eventually downplayed so the unbeliever is not offended.
    >They hold ecumenical like conferences featuring leaders of non-Christian denominations to share their philosophies, beliefs, etc., in the name of tolerance.
    >They love to call those who disagree with them "Legalistic" and accuse them of interpreting something that is unable to be understood.
    >They despise rules, choosing few boundaries, other than love and tolerance.
    >Everyone will go to heaven, as they see God as love, not willing to send anyone to hell, regardless.
    >They live to "deconstruct," not construct. They work to tear down any denominational walls, believing holiness is not obtainable in this life!
    >They're big on mysticism, and down on the supernatural acts and abilities of God to affect anything or anybody, including the influence or inspiration of the Holy Ghost upon man's heart and mind in understanding the Scripture.

SIGNS You are in an EMERGENT Church

*To have NO OPINION is better than to have one that is wrong, and that is because no one can correctly explain and apply Scripture.
    *Scripture is no longer the ultimate authority as the basis for the Christian faith.
    *The centrality of the gospel of Jesus Christ is being replaced by humanistic methods promoting church growth and a social gospel.
    *More and more emphasis is being placed on building the kingdom of God now and less and less on the warnings of the Scripture about the imminent return of Jesus Christ and a coming judgment in the future.
    *The teaching that Jesus Christ will rule and reign in a literal millennial period is considered unbiblical and heretical.
    *The teaching that the church has taken the place of Israel and Israel has no prophetic significance is often embraced.
    *The teaching that the Book of Revelation does not refer to the future, but instead has been already fulfilled in the past
    *An experiential mystical form of Christianity begins to be promoted as a method to reach the postmodern generation.
    *Ideas are promoted teaching that Christianity needs to be reinvented in order to provide meaning for this generation.
    *The pastor may implement an idea called “ancient-future” or “vintage Christianity” claiming that in order to take the church forward, we need to go back in church history and find out what experiences were effective to get people to embrace Christianity.
    *While the authority of the Word of God is undermined, images and sensual experiences are promoted as the key to experiencing and knowing God.
    *These experiences include icons, candles, incense, liturgy, labyrinths, prayer stations, contemplative prayer, experiencing the sacraments, particularly the sacrament of the Eucharist.
    *There seems to be a strong emphasis on ecumenism indicating that a bridge is being established that leads in the direction of unity with the Roman Catholic Church.
    *Some evangelical Protestant leaders are saying that the Reformation went too far. They are reexamining the claims of the “church fathers” saying that communion is more than a symbol and that Jesus actually becomes present in the wafer at communion.
    *There will be a growing trend towards an ecumenical unity for the cause of world peace claiming the validity of other religions and that there are many ways to God.
    *Members of churches who question or resist the new changes that the pastor is implementing are reprimanded and usually asked to leave.
    *Homosexuality, same-gender marriages, etc., are not only accepted, but these people will hold key positions in the church from ordained pastors on down....

Remember that in Romans 1:21-25, Paul clearly shows that these people would be turned over to the lies they chose to believe, and finally in 2 Corinthians 4:4 (NLT) we read, "Satan, who is the god of this world, has blinded the minds of those who don’t believe. They are unable to see the glorious light of the Good News. They don’t understand this message about the glory of Christ, who is the exact likeness of God."

SO....like that little Sunday School jingle says:
    >Oh, be careful, little eyes, what you see. . . .
    >Oh, be careful, little ears, what you hear. . . .
    >Oh, be careful, little tongue, what you say. . . .
    >Oh, be careful, little hands, what you do. . . .
    >Oh, be careful, little feet, where you go. . . .>

Shalom, and may God keep your feet safely, soundly and securely on the Narrow Path!

FOOTNOTE of appreciation - Some of the "Charactistics" and "Warning Signs" are from an article by Roger Oakland!

I AM NOT LOOKING TO DEBATE ANYONE ON THIS TOPIC; I merely attempting to inform the traditional church as to the newest ANTAGONIST to faith. Peter said it best, "Our enemy prowls and roams about looking forward devouring whomever he can!"

5. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is my view...

First of all....let me thank you for posting this link! I spent the time to listen to every word he spoke, because I am interested in knowing as much as I can about those in this far left liberal movement to reqrite the way things are done in the church!

MY VIEW OF THE MESSAGE: It was spot on, and the pastor used well thought out examples and Scripture to support where he started from alll the way to the end!

Had I been a first time visitor, just based on the message, I'd want to go back and hear him again!

MY VIEW OF THE MINISTRY: In order to not prejudice myself, I purposely didn't look up the church web sight.

Afterwards, I did look up the sight, and I also did a web search on this churches stand on gays, and that is where I found that he is part of the Emergent Church! They refuse to make a purposeful stand on homosexuality, bragging that they minister to, and give a headcount of how many gays attend their church!

To me that was a warning sign...what I have found out thus far:

MY OPINION: They are definitely an Emergent Church. But, unless you researched the web under such things as views on illegl immigration and homosexual, you'd not know it until you were pretty much hooked!

I'd say, your son is very well tuned into what is right and wrong, which means either, or your church or both have done a good job raising him!

They rely on public polls to decide their direction - http://www.nj.com/morris/index.ssf/2012/09/churchs_poll_whats_jesus_think.html

Their outreach and view on gays - http://www.breakingchristiannews.com/articles/display_art.html?ID=833

One statement by the leaders of Liquid church sums up their stand on the sin of homosexuality [remember the EC chooses not to set itself up as judge of sin, any sins] with this guilt ridden comment directed towards the traditional church - "Christians Say Hello. Gay Activists Say Hmmm?"
    This photo cartoon basically says it all!

[​IMG]

I apologize if any of you are offended with my cut and paste job. I did in fact need these links to make my case. As for the humorous photo, it came from AOL images! :smilewinkgrin:

#25 righteousdude2, Oct 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2013
  6. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Emerging Church is a bit misleading. Churches have been apostasizing for nearly two thousand years. Others have reformed apostasy.

Is it possible to un-apostasize? Reformed apostasy is still apostasy reformed.

Jesus said He would never leave nor forsake His Bride. He has kept His promise. She is without spot or blemish, The Light in the darkness, preserved by The Spirit, The Holy, since the Day of Pentecost.

Man still cannot get it right--Jesus paid it all.

The world is filled with religion--most of it false. The New Testament Church, the one Jesus is building, is not emerging nor evolving.

Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

Bro. James

7. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

We have a few of these around here. I've not been but know some who have. During services they play secular rock music (hotel california really loud during the offering at one service). Holiness is downgraded. Sanctifying work is optional. Easy believism is preached. The world loves it because it's like they didn't go to church (by their own words). Well, that's because they didn't go to church - boring, dry dead orthodoxy aside.

The neo gospel they present is political correctness, no change necessary re-birth (optional Christian virtues), and edification has been interpreted to meaning come to church to feel good about self, the opposite of revival and Holy Spirit conviction.

Pragmatism is their m.o. If they are growing, if personal feelings are validated, if personal feelings are elevated (narcissism 'lovers of self'), it's 'of God'. One pastor, married, of one of the satellites was adulterating in the church, they closed down and reopened a little later. It was a huge mockery around here. It's a flesh parade in the services as it seems they go to show just how goth, tatted up, and worldly they can look. I know members, and have talked to them, have been in their homes (business related endeavors) and was surprised they went to church at all after speaking with them about the Gospel. Funny how the cursing stops at this point and not to mention that awkward feeling, and the apologies.

#27 preacher4truth, Oct 30, 2013
  8. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for doing the research Paul:thumbs:

Btw...My only son is a gift from God. And he knows a phoney when he sees one...thanks for that complement.
    :godisgood:

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You nailed it brother....but we are a mere remnant.

10. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    #30 Revmitchell, Oct 30, 2013
  11. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think that its the "seeker churches" that have realised that they needed to have and adopt a formal theology, but just chose bad stances to take on doctrines/practices!