1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why will Satan fight?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Sopranette, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Something I've been puzzled over for some time. Why will Satan raise an army against God in the End Times, if he already knows the outcome ? If we already know what happens, why wouldn't he? Is he obligated by scripture to do so?

love,

Sopranette

#1 Sopranette, Nov 26, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2007
  2. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Why do we sin when we know what the outcome will be?

I don't think Satan is bound by scripture to make the revolution. Scripture warns us of what Satan will do in the future, but I personally don't think that Satan looks at Revelation and says "well, I guess this means I have to revolt at the end of the Milenium" when actually he's been in open revolt against the Creator before the foundation of the world.

See, he can't hurt God, but he can hurt His children which is the next best thing.

3. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Just like everyone else, satan will do what is in his nature to do, regardless of the consequences.

4. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Okay, so why will God give 1000 years of power to Satan before He casts him into the lake of fire? And is Satan flawed like the rest of us, given to sin? Are all of His angels flawed, too? At one time, Satan was incredibly beautiful and full of wisdom, second only to God Himself. Did that change? Why do we as Christians chose the winning side, but Satan will not?

love,

Sopranette

#4 Sopranette, Nov 26, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2007
  5. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

I remember in Scripture they're something about us having the privelage of judging the angels...which is strange because they hardly have any free-will so I don't know why their actions or performance, or even their appearence should be held accountable to us...but maybe angles are able to become flawed...even if they stay in heaven before and afterwards their mistake...

6. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

1Co 6:2 Do ye not know that the saints shall judge the world? and if the world shall be judged by you, are ye unworthy to judge the smallest matters?
    3 Know ye not that we shall judge angels? how much more things that pertain to this life?
    4 If then ye have judgments of things pertaining to this life, set them to judge who are least esteemed in the church.

7. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

No doubt Satan is smart enough to know he is doomed. Maybe he looks at is like he has nothing to lose by doing battle.

8. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

Does Gen. 3:14 no longer apply? Was Satan the serpent? When did Satan no longer go upon his belly? Wouldn't he have been destroyed in the Flood? Was the Serpent immortal? Was/is he able to exist in both the physical realm and spiritual realm at the same time? How did he get from a physical snake cursed in the Garden to the heavenlies conversing with God about Job?

Gen 3:14
    And Jehovah God said to the serpent, Because you have done this you are cursed more than all cattle, and more than every animal of the field. You shall go upon your belly, and you shall eat dust all the days of your life.

9. UnchartedSpirit

there may be a hint to Gen 3:14 in humanitie's loving of talking animal stories to this day...the serpent was merely for watever reason the first being on earth who was tempted and lost to the devil....

10. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

So Satan has nowhere to go but up? A desperate being fighting a battle doomed to fail? Why did the people of the Bible prostrate themselves before angels? Were they as close to perfection as a creation could get? Yet they call themselves humble servants, equal to us. It just gets more perplexing!

love,

Sopranette

11. UnchartedSpirit

It is also speculated that many of the angel "appearences" in the OT were actually Jesus in his Pre-Incarnate Glorified form...though it would make sense that that form is the same glorified form we hear of in Relevation, since people fall before him on both accounts....

12. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

I don't think Satan thinks he can't defeat God. Otherwise, why did he rebel in the beginning?

13. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

It is my understanding that he did so out of vanity. Second only to God, wise beyond our comprehension, and beautiful to boot, I guess he took a crack at being the Supreme Being.

love,

Sopranette

14. Alex Quackenbush

Alex Quackenbush New Member

Satan doesn't BELIEVE the truth. Arrogance is possibly the most blinding characteristic of a person and in Satan's case it is true. Arrogance rejects what is obvious and live in a delusional world of self-constructed ideas that are contrary to the truth. Satan simply does not believe He is wrong and believes that He can win His appeal and will prove God wrong.

15. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please show me scripture that says Satan was "second only to God, Himself" in wisdom or anything else.

peace to you:praying:

16. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

I have been looking and looking for it, jd. It was in some obscure passage I read a long time ago, and just stuck with me all this time. How God created and ranked His angels at the very beginnings of time itself. I remember it had totally changed my perception of Satan as a hideous beast, that he could or had been very beautiful at one time, more so than Michael or Gabriel, and that he had God's favor at one point, but decided he could do a better job.

love,

Sopranette

17. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Is this what you're looking for? It's the closest I can think of.

Eze 28:11 Moreover the word of the LORD came unto me, saying,
    12 Son of man, take up a lamentation upon the king of Tyrus, and say unto him, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Thou sealest up the sum, full of wisdom, and perfect in beauty.
    13 Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created.
    14 Thou art the anointed cherub that covereth; and I have set thee so: thou wast upon the holy mountain of God; thou hast walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire.
    15 Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee.
    16 By the multitude of thy merchandise they have filled the midst of thee with violence, and thou hast sinned: therefore I will cast thee as profane out of the mountain of God: and I will destroy thee, O covering cherub, from the midst of the stones of fire.
    17 Thine heart was lifted up because of thy beauty, thou hast corrupted thy wisdom by reason of thy brightness: I will cast thee to the ground, I will lay thee before kings, that they may behold thee.
    18 Thou hast defiled thy sanctuaries by the multitude of thine iniquities, by the iniquity of thy traffick; therefore will I bring forth a fire from the midst of thee, it shall devour thee, and I will bring thee to ashes upon the earth in the sight of all them that behold thee.
    19 All they that know thee among the people shall be astonished at thee: thou shalt be a terror, and never shalt thou be any more.

18. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Yes! Thank you so much, LeBuick!

love,

Sopranette

19. JerryL

JerryL New Member

I've heard this text before as being Satan the one he is talkiing to, but I just don't see it. What's with "the king of Tyrus" part of the passage?

20. JerryL

JerryL New Member

If you go back to Ezekiel 28:2 it clearly shows that this is an actual man that is being spoken of.

Eze 28:2 "Son of man, say to the leader of Tyre, 'Thus says the Lord GOD, "Because your heart is lifted up And you have said, 'I am a god, I sit in the seat of gods In the heart of the seas'; Yet you are a man and not God, Although you make your heart like the heart of God--