1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wicked

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by DarleighB1989, Mar 3, 2008.

1. DarleighB1989

DarleighB1989 New Member

Since it's a musical, I will post it here. I would advise everyone, as Christians, not to take your children to this. For those who don't know, it's about how the Wicked Witch of the West, in Wicked named Elphiba, eventually became evil and went against the Wizard. I went and saw this yesterday, and was horrified. I've always liked the Wizard of Oz because the Witch, who was evil and used witchcraft, was defeated by a little girl who didn't have any evil powers, at all. Remember, even "good magic" is bad. Even the Wizard uses no powers, and is just a man. But in Wicked, they make this Elphiba out to be good natured and not really evil deep down, because the Wizard just wanted to use her. It teaches children that this witch is good, even though she uses witchcraft. Just a heads up.

2. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

Actually, it would be a much better use of your time to read the other books in Frank L. Baum's 'Oz' series. You may be surprised to know that not only is 'The Wonderful Wizard of Oz' just one more book in the middle of a series, IMO, it is not even the best read of them. As in most children's books of his era, there are good moral lessons in them.

3. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

I miss-spoke (miss-typed?) After looking, it seems that 'The Wonderful Wizard of Oz' was indeed the first book published, though other books pretend to be chronologically before Dorothy landed with Toto.

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The woman at our church who directs our dramas and such was given tickets to that as a gift for something. So she went. She warned everyone that it was NOT good and she was very embarrassed often during the play. I trust her critique and would never consider seeing it at all.

5. willsingforfood

willsingforfood New Member

I must disagree with your opinion on Wicked. I myself have seen it and thought it was a wonderful musical, especially for kids to see

At the heart of the show is the story of an outcast, and the struggles she goes through to try and find her place in the world. There are also themes of friendship and forgiveness that I think are important for children to be exposed to. Also central to the story is how easily society at large can be influenced to believe things that aren't true, and with such an important Presidential race for the Christians in America fast approaching, this is a lesson that should be taken to heart.

Yes, the central character performs witchcraft...however...we must make a distinction here. The fact that the show incorporates the use of magic, does NOT mean that it advocates the use of magic. The story is a fantasy, a fairly tale...not an instruction manual. Furthermore, Elphaba's use of magic is what ultimately leads to her downfall.

6. iamwilling

iamwilling New Member

I also disagree. I've seen Wicked close to 30 times now, and I see nothing wrong with it. Just because there is magic in the show doesn't mean they advocate it, and they certainly don't. In fact, the Glinda in the Chicago production is a strong Christian.

It's about a girl who is different from everyone else-she has green skin, and a popular girl. They're in college together, and at first, the green-skinned girl, Elphaba, is teased and made an outcast because she looks different and has "special powers". The popular girl, Glinda, is forced to be roommates with Elphaba. However, while they spend time together, Glinda discovers that Elphaba is just misunderstood, and feels badly that she treated her differently. They become best friends. Their journeys separate unexpectedly, and Glinda and Fiyero are the only ones who know that she really was just trying to help when she left town. They grow up, and Glinda and Elphaba happen to find each other again, with the help of Glinda's fiancee, Fiyero.(Note, they are only engaged because Glinda surprises him with an engagement party. He never actually proposed. It's played out very funny in the show.) Then, Fiyero, who works with the Emerald City guards, is caught trying to help Elphaba hide, because he knows everyone is looking for her. Glinda tries to stop the other guards from hurting Fiyero, but fails. So Elphaba attempts to use her "powers" to HELP save him. At the end, Elphaba and Glinda say a very heart felt and touching goodbye to each other for the last time, and Fiyero and Elphaba are reunited. Glinda thinks both Fiyero and Elphaba are dead, but they can't tell her the truth if they want everyone to be safe.

It's about understanding and friendships. It's about accepting others, and teaches you to get to know someone before you decide if you like them or not. It's an amazing show with a very touching and special message. You can't describe it, it's so good. Children attend the show every day, and love it. My pastor and his wife thought it was fantastic, and recommend it to everyone. They heard about the show from someone else in the congregation.

And of course, the show is completely made up and fake. Explain that to your children, and they will be absolutely fine and enjoy the fantastic music, great costumes, incredible sets, and excellent performers. This is a musical you can't go wrong with. It teaches you not to judge-so don't judge the show unless you've seen it.