1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wildlife in the Neighborhood

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by FriendofSpurgeon, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

There is not much wildlife here in NZ, no snakes, very few lizards, rarely spiders, a limited number of boringly feathered birds but who have melodious calls (so different from OZ). Mostly kids around....are they classified as wildlife:thumbs::smilewinkgrin:

2. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow, I find this interesting; I never realized that NZ was so scarce on wildlife. I've seen pictures of NZ and it seems beautiful.

What is OZ?

3. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, I always just assumed that someplace that green would have a lot of wildlife.

4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We've had cows in the back yard, horses, red fox, racoons, all sorts of birds (especially those nasty Canada geese).
    Yeah, I once even found my neighbors long lost iguana (named Henry)

Here's something that surprised me,
    I saw an eel in the stream last night
    About a foot and a half long, grey and as thick around as you can make a circle with your thumb and forefinger.

Rob

5. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have some Amish neighbors and one of their Belgians gets out every now and then and wanders over to our place. Big as a truck, gentle as a lamb, dumb as a rock.

He's real sweet. Not a bad bone in his body. But not exactly the brightest horse.

Usually, my wife or I will walk him back home.

6. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our old neighborhood used to be a dairy farm. We have pictures of cows in the backyard as they built the house over 50 years ago... so I've never seen any
    We live next to a property that up until a few years ago raised Thoroughbred race horses. They're big and nasty at times. You don't want to be near a stallion when a mare's in heat.

The small stream that runs through our property provides a home to all sorts of animals. As I got home I rescued a small sunny (fish) from the mouth of a large water snake that captured it.

I really don't like snakes!

Rob

7. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

I think OZ is the nickname for Australia.

We heard coyotes howling a couple of nights ago. They sound kinda scary. LOL

8. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks Gwen.

Two coyotes can sound like an entire kennel of yapping dogs when they make a kill. It's incredible the sound effects they can do. It's incredible the sound effects a gray fox can do also.

9. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

Oz=Aussie=Australia....the Great Southern Land so full of poisonous and toxic wildlife, from pecky pretty raucous birds, to toxic plant life...NZ (enZed) is beautiful and realitively safe...the climate and geography are more lethal than Oz I think.

a beautiful image....driving into the big sky on a never ending road, blue and blazing sunlight, dusty,kahki vegetation in the paddocks, your car noise frightens a flock of galahs who rise in a grey back mass and wheel away from you with a flash of pink underside.....so pretty.

In En Zed I have touched a real live kiwi bird ( an honour, they are endangered and very shy), the lovely downy quality of the coppery coloured feathers rather similar I thought to an emu feather, the kiwi lives in burrows and has a wicked beak.....feel sorry for mumma bird she lays an egg almost the same size as she.:applause: