1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

William J. Reynolds, renowned professor and hymnologist, passes away

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by gb93433, Mar 31, 2009.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Mar 30, 2009

William J. Reynolds, church musician, composer, arranger, editor, hymnologist and distinguished professor emeritus of church music at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, went home to be with the Lord, March 28. He was 88.

Born April 2, 1920, in Atlantic, Iowa, Baptist music was a passion and a way of life. Reynolds was the nephew of I.E. Reynolds, a pioneer in gospel music at Southwestern Seminary for 30 years. In 1915, I.E. Reynolds led Southwestern in a systematic training of church musicians by outlining the emphases that continue to this day. William J. Reynolds followed in his uncle’s footsteps.

The rest of the story is at http://www.swbts.edu/campusnews/story.cfm?id=582C4613-15C5-E47C-F9B2C37DF530DF34

2. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Mr. Reynolds is the father of one of the Baptist Board members.

3. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

Condolences and prayers for family and friends. There is nothing that brings greater peace to one when a loved one is laid to rest....... than the legacy of their testimony living on and the knowledge that their departure is really for a brief time..... and that we have the hope of being together again.

4. rbell

rbell Active Member

5. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

My condolences to Tim and his family at the passing of his father. I remember as a young girl in southern Oklahoma going to camp at Falls Creek and singing William Reynolds songs.... Certainly has my respect.

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

When I was a seminary student I remember having a number of conversations with him. He was an encourager to me.