1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

windows8.1

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by exscentric, Oct 17, 2013.

1. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How is it going, anyone try updating yet?

I did a netbook, started about 8am and at about 430 it finished.

Has a start button but it only opens the start screen. Have not played with it yet so ??? on what I think yet.

Reading of many problems so going to wait on my other rigs till they get the drivers etc. Several having to go looking for them on forums.

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My father-in-law asked me for some help since his new system came with it installed. Frankly, I'm not liking it. I understand what Microsoft was trying for (same operating system across all your platforms--desktop, laptop, tablet, phone, etc.), but most have haven't rushed to buy computers/phones for that "convenience."

And I'm finding it takes an extra step or five to do things that were one or two clicks previously, such as getting to the picture libraries.

3. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is the conclusion of most that complain of the 8 and I'm sure 8.1 setups. I have played with the metro/tiles part off and on and use it for iheart radio regularly but other than that I forget it is there.

I'm reading that they are going to require 8.1 to come by download for those that have 8 which is going to be terrible. Every time you reset your unit or change a hard drive it will take 8 hours to update - that is not good service.

I would think logic might creep in and they would offer a dvd or iso but not holding my breath.

I updated another unit overnight which is how I will do it from now on - 40 plus hours to update your machines is crazy.

4. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Looking at building or buying a new computer. Should I go with Windows 7. Or Windows 8?

Can't you set Windows 8 to emulate Windows 7?

5. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It runs just like a regular desktop or the new Metro with tiles. The only real difference in the desktop is that there is no start button. You have to go to the metro to start programs unless you have an icon on the desktop. Most folks use an add on program that gives you a start button that works like 7.

Lots of folks don't like 8 due to the lack of start button. I have a netbook and never think about it having 8 on it.

I'd go with 8 and the add on start button. However 7 is coming down in price some. I use classic start menu but there are others as well both free and pay.