1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wine at the Baptist Church

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by rockytopva, Mar 11, 2024.

1. rockytopva

rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    After several pastor changes at my local church I have been visiting other churches trying to catch the 8AM, 10AM, and 6PM services. In the past few months I have been to three churches affiliated with the Baptist Church. As many churches as I visit these days I find them all unique. There are two main figures in a church...

1. The Senior Pastor - The leader of the church
    2. The Worship Leader - The music director

The Senior Pastor being the most important. With the Baptist Churches I visit I find them all unique. Some more traditional, others more contemporary. All defined by the Senior Pastor and the Worship Leader. I can recommend no church without first getting to know the Senior Pastor. I enjoy the teachings of John Vernon McGee who was a ordained Presbyterian minister. But... If I visit the local Presbyterian church I find a woman pastor and a sign that says we are LGBT friendly. So the difference in leadership is like night and day... All within the same denomination.

I visited the 8AM service of a local church affiliated with the Baptist Church but not having "Baptist" on the shingle. The service was very much traditional, almost like it was hundreds of years ago. The preacher preached a message on his trip to California and all the vineyards. A very detailed message on the wine production there. Following the message they had communion in which the bread was a rather large wafer and the wine in a rather large cup (for communion anyway). After drinking the wine my thoughts were... My gosh! That was the best wine I have ever drunk!

I enjoyed the service and will probably go back.

• Like Like x 1
  2. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just saying…. If you thought “this is the best wine I’ve ever drank”….

…. then your focus was off….

peace to you

3. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hopefully you do go back for the right reason... I never knew a time when we didn't use wine in communion with unleavened bread which the sisters made... Like Jesus said... When you do this, do this in remembrance of me... Brother Glen:)

• Like Like x 1
  4. rockytopva

rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I understand....

28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.
    29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.
    30 For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep. - 1 Corinthians 11

But... The wine was really good! Tasting like the best California had to offer!

#4 rockytopva, Mar 11, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  5. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well now you have a reason for having a little wine, of course and scripture isn't against it... Brother Glen:)

1 Timothy 5:23 Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The 'very large wafer' is probably the same wafer the priest/pastors use in Catholic/Episcopal/Lutheran and other liturgical services. This is happening more and more in evangelical churches because of messy situation with using crackers not made for the occasion. Glad to see hear wine is being used also in more evangelical churches as the 'element of choice' for Holy Communion. Sounds like the pastor did his homework during his 'wine tasting'.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Centrist

Centrist Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I encountered that at one or two churches in my lifetime, but for the most part it's either water or grape juice. The later I feel is proper as I am doubtful if what we see as wine now is what they had back then. And there is no real need for alcohol in church, even as small amount as it is we are talking about.