1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

witnessing at work

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by christ centered, Jan 25, 2004.

1. christ centered

christ centered New Member

Hi - I wanted some feedback on witnessing at work. People at my job know that I am a christian but, I don't really witness to any of them. I was wondering if people here had some experiences with this and could share them with me. I just feel that this is a different situation than other witnessing encounters, mainly because we are in such close contact with are co-workers. They are in some ways like family. Thanks for any suggestions. Jim

2. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Don't be ashamed to speak about church from time to time - without ramming it down their throats. Many people are uncomfortable talking about Christ, but don't mind talking about "church." Listen to them, and don't judge...even if they relate bad experiences. Your listening will (in their minds) give you the right to comment about your faith when the time is right. As a matter of fact, they may come to you in time of crisis or personal need.

3. David Mark

David Mark New Member

Last week a coworker walked into my office. It was just a "hi how are you" kind of thing. This person voluntarily said something without any prompting by myself. Something like this: I don't know what happens after this life, but I hope it's good.

This was not a searching question or a request for what I thought. All I could do is look at this person in amazement as I smiled from ear to ear like I knew a little something. And of course I do.

But I said not a word. I pushed not, nor did I preach, instruct or advise one bit though I was more than ready to. I did not perceive this as an open door. Many people at work know full well that I am a religious person, that I go to church and that I watch what I say.

Did I do the right thing? I don't know, but I immediately went the Lord about it. I trust only him and not my own understanding of things.

Just like posting and replying here. Some folks just want to say something without being instructed. Sometimes the door opens and sometimes it doesn't. I must be wise and perceptive and ready to give an account when asked.

Working it out...

Dave [​IMG]

4. Servent

Servent Member

Remember this, if people at work know you are a christian they are watching you to see what you will do in certain cases, and you can bet that your action or reaction can be a better witness than words.

5. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

Amen! Keep a good testimony everywhere you go because people are watching YOU!

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

If you're walking a Christian walk, then you're probably witnessing to them, by your actions, more than you know.

More often, the "Hi, my name is Joe, and I've been saved by the blood of Jesus" approach wil get you a dumbfounded stare. In fact, I've seen that approace result in people turning away fro Christ. My suggestion is: wait until the Holy Spirit puts you in a situation and calls upon you to respons to a person's need. And when the Holy Spirit put you in that position, do only what the Holy Spirit calls you to, and nothing more.

A person coming to a relationship with Christ is often like a flower blooming. Someone must cultivate the soil. Someone must dig the furrow. Someone must plant a seed. Someone must water it. Someone must feed it. Only then does it sprout. The Holy Spirit may only call you to one of those tasks, and leave the rest up to someone else. Don't take on the whole job yourself. Do ONLY the job the the Holy Spirit assigns to you. No more, no less.

If you try to dig a furrow where a seed is planted, the seed will die. If you plant a seed on uncultivated soil, the seed will be eaten. If you water what is seedless, it is for naught. So to reiterate, don't take on the whole job yourself. Do ONLY the job the the Holy Spirit assigns to you. No more, no less. And don't do that job until the timing of the Holy Spirit is right.

7. christ centered

christ centered New Member

Thanks everyone for the resoneses and advice. I will starting watching my christian walk more, for I do think that is sometimes the strongest witnessing tool we have. Jim

8. Watchman

Watchman New Member

cc:
    Two thoughts here: You do not surrender your first amendment rights when you go to work. But it is also true that the employer has the right to get work done.
    Be carefull here: On the clock-work. Before work, breaks or after work only.
    The American Center for Law and Justice, ACLJ at
    www.aclj.org
    is a great source. Click on CONTACT at the top of the page.
    An employer objected to me having a Bible at my desk and I contacted the ACLJ at their websight and they sent be a booklet on workplace rights, but I seem to have missplaced it. I am sure they will send you one.
    Oh, not to leave you hanging as to what happened: I followed to the letter the booklet's advise and end of problem, the Bible is there!

9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Shine the light and shake the salt while on the clock. Your boss is not paying you to be an evangalist.

Breaks, meals, etc actively look for chances to share your faith. If you are looking these chances they will be there.

10. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In some work places a strong gospel witness is not appropriate.
    We can still be a witness! Regularly professing the wonderful works of God that occur in your life, family and at your church.
    Tell everyone how God works in your life and how He is blessing you.

Co-workers will come to you on their own as the Spirit softenes their heart and opens the eyes of the blind.

Rob