1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Women deacons

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Thomas Helwys, Jan 25, 2013.

1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You neglected to continue the quote:

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Additionally from Dever:

So they do not have an official body of deacons like we do (we have a Deacon Board), they instead call "deacons" those who are doing ministries of the church. We are not talking about the same kind of "deacon" then.

3. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly. Your church's definition is faulty.

4. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  5. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

:thumbs::thumbs: said perfectly:jesus:
    I bolded your last: I know it rings true for me and my beloved bride. Thing is, it is her status as being wiser, gifted, and more godly than I that she WOULD NOT want or desire to disobey God's word.

Debating the Scriptural validity of an official office of "deacon" for women is one thing... but one will never be taken seriously so long as they insist that it can ONLY be misogynism or power-hunger which causes Godly men AND women to disagree with them. It weakens their case and frankly sounds sophomoric.

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Who says it's faulty?

7. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Annsni:

9Marks Dever:

8. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

It does clearly teach that, as Dr. Bob's quotes prove beyond a doubt.

I don't ignore 1 Timothy 3, dear. I simply know that it cannot be interpreted the way you and some others here interpret it.

9. 12strings

12strings Active Member

It sounds like you need to go read Luke's threads on logic...since you have just proposed the following:

1. 1 Tim. 3 CANNOT beinterpreted in a certain way.
    2. There are those on this very board who DO interpret it that way.
    3. Therefore, they have amazingly DONE what CANNOT BE DONE! Truly Incredible!

(Just joking around, btw):laugh:

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It clearly teaches that she was a servant. That is all it clearly teaches.

So how do you interpret it?

11. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Even the folks over at Ligonier admit:

ligonier.org

12. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

Once again, since you want to ignore and deny clear facts, here it is again:

"Phoebe (a woman in the church at Cenchrea, neighbor to Corinth) is called by the MASCULINE TITLE "deacon" (not simply as a feminine form of the word, which would be a female servant)

Phoebe was a deacon. Even though I'm an historic ifb'er and have only male deacons, I can't change Romans 16.

It is the definite masculine word referring to the OFFICE."

13. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  14. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Anyone who wants to research this more should really look up the internal debate in the (conservative) PCA between Tim Keller (pro-female-deacons) & Ligon Duncan (against).

Google their names and the words "women deacons" and you should find some links to their articles.

15. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Dr. Bob's quote proves nothing beyond his understanding of the passage. I presented the exegesis of three different writers earlier. I suspect they are as knowledgeable about Scripture as Dr. Bob. I don't believe either of these men argued that Phebe was a deacon in the sense indicated by Paul or by the Apostles who initially called for help.

Acts 6:3. Wherefore, brethren, look ye out among you seven men of honest report, full of the Holy Ghost and wisdom, whom we may appoint over this business.

Notice that the Apostles specified men. Also note that Jesus Christ did not call any women to be Apostles!

16. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

He didn't call any Gentiles, either. Should only Jewish men be allowed? Let's think about this, people. These writings were to a specific people in a specific cultural context. Without taking that into account, we're handicapping ourselves here.

God calls women and men alike to all functions in ministry. And it's the same in marriage. Mutual submission is the salient principle.

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

However the word is used elsewhere and is clearly NOT used as a term for the office of deacon. You can't change Romans 16 - nor can you change 1 Timothy 3. - which you still haven't addressed.

18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Did he specifically call Jews? No. But he specifically called men. You can't compare the two.

You call God a liar then.

19. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Wow. Just wow. I would suggest you do some reading on this issue, so you're more informed about opposing viewpoints. If you still disagree, that's fine, but please don't make flippant claims like this. I would suggest starting with the work of Grenz, Stackhouse, Wright and Fee.

20. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just because someone disagrees with your interpretation doesn't mean that person is calling "God a liar"!

This is an outrageous and damning accusation that has no business in Christian dialogue.

Strongly and passionately disagree, make a case for your position, or dismiss yourself from the conversation, but don't do this.

It is characteristic of someone who must get the last word and sully the character of the person they cannot convince. It says nothing about the merits of either one of your positions and only poisons the discussion.